Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

pretty mechs and death-CBT batrep with pics- 10/3/09
Old 05 Oct 2009, 02:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default pretty mechs and death-CBT batrep with pics- 10/3/09

Got a new player into the store yesterday and he was even more of a battletech fanatic than i was(yes i have a house kurita tatto but not a kurita jump suit i have to put on to play the game :lol: )

he had some lovely pro-painted mini's he got from somebody else

We got a quick one on one in and then when the tables opened up we got a normal game in.

i ran this lance-lyran 10th guards-
.yellojacket VTOL
.cestus(gauss/laser variant)
.goliath(heavy gauss variant)
.nightstar

his list was not wysiwyg i don't know if he didin't have the mechs he wanted or just wanted to use the pretty ones(he had like 5 cases of mechs)

What was what-
.stinger-wraith
.warhammer-thunderhawk
.hatamoto-penetrator
.highlander-hauptman

The table-

\we didn't use any of the unit special rules or optional rules from tactical ops since he was just getting used to inch/3d terrain rules.

I had the speed advantage so i spread my units out a bit to make use of terrain. i managed to get close to him with my goliath and i was hitting well with the heavy gauss the penetrator took the brunt of the damage intially, but i was spreading my damage all over his mechs. he got a l;ucky shot in on the goliath on turn 3 and put a gauss slug through the cockpit taking my heavy hitter out of the game with only minor actual damage done to it.

It turned out to be the game changer. the cestus tried to sneak up behind him and i did some good damage to his thunderhawk, but a floating crit took out my gyros and put him out of the fight. the penetrator and nightstar dualed for several turn and once again i took a couple lucky hits to the face and lost the nightstar.....with only a single chopper left(which he could not hit for love or money) i surrendered the field.

Old 05 Oct 2009, 03:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: pretty mechs and death-CBT batrep with pics- 10/3/09

That looks like a lot of fun. I am a big battletech fan. How is the miniature game? Is it easily available? Tough luck in the game though, the Goliath taken down was a tough blow.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2009, 04:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: pretty mechs and death-CBT batrep with pics- 10/3/09

The game itself is a skirmish game, this is the normal level of play 4 on 4 for inner sphere or 5 on 5 for clan stars in mech on mech battles.

the mini game rules set hasn't changed much in 25 years( a few minor weapons changes to make them more effective) which shows how well it was written. it's a bit more complex than things like 40K which is why you only need a few minis to play a 2 hour game. and it is not a game than lends itself to powergamers since the rules are so tight. if something happens in the game there is a 99% chance there is a rule for it in writing already.

because it has been around for 25 years there are alot of people who play and or collect it. it can be played in a relatively small area on hex maps or on a larger table with 3d terrain rules.

The real draw aside from the fine background fluff and great minis is the fact you need so few of them to have a full army-less to buy, less to paint. say $50-$60 for a complete lance or star on average.

The downside of course is the number of options you have. with 501 mech minis, plus tanks, helecopters, airplanes, battle armor and infantry in the game. along with the factions you can play leads to getting multiple armies...i have 12 i use regularly myself.