Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ryzian 57th vs. Blood Angels [1500 points] - August 22nd, 2009
Old 22 Aug 2009, 12:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Ryzian 57th vs. Blood Angels [1500 points] - August 22nd, 2009

The commander of the Ryzian 57th looked out across the plains, "Where are they?"
"The auspexes indicate their drop pod assault was delayed due to unusual atmospheric occurrences, they are attempting to regroup but we think they will hit the ground before they can," The officer replied over the din of the basilisk clambering into place. This was only the ryzian 57th second deployment and it was against a group of blood angels, fear had gripped many guardsman but they stood and waited. Why they were fighting they didnít know but they would fight fiercer than ever to avoid another defeat.

"How long till we land?"
"We are not entirely sure after our pods were scattered but the first troops will be expected at around 13:00 hours."
"Danteís voice resonated over the roar of the orbit vessel as they prepared their jump packs for the assault, "As long as we get there Iíll be fine!"
Dante watched as the specs of light on the radar moved ever closer to the battle field.

This battle was my Imperial guard versus Hereticus_Terminus (not Tau online) in an online game using the vassal engine. The game was 1500 points with the lists as follows:

Ryzian 57th Guard
HQ
Command squad , medi pack, Vox caster, 1 advisor (chosen before battle)

Elites
Psyker Battle squad, 5 extra psykers; chimera

Troops
*Platoon command squad, Vox caster; Guardsman squad, vox caster, grenade launcher; Guardsman squad, grenade launcher

*Platoon command squad; Guardsman squad, grenade launcher; Guardsman squad, grenade launcher; Heavy weapons squad, 3x lascannons

*Platoon command squad; Guardsman squad, grenade launcher; Guardsman squad, grenade launcher

Veteran Squad, 3 flamers, chimera

Heavy Support
Basilisk, Enclosed crew compartment, extra armour

Leman Russ Demolisher, Sponson heavy bolters,

Leman Russ Executioner, Plasma cannon sponsons

Total points= 1495

Blood angels Drop pod assault force

HQ
Dante

Elites
Death Company -One Extra Death Company, Drop Pod

Troops
Assault Squad -2x (Five Assault Marines, Power Fist, Meltabombs)

Assault Squad Ė2x (Five Assault Marines, Power Fist, Meltabombs, Replace Jump Packs with Drop Pod)

Assault Squad Ė2x (Five Assault Marines, Power Fist, Meltabombs, Replace Jump Packs with Drop Pod)

Heavy Support
Devastator Squad, Five Devastator Marines, Meltabombs, Four Lascannons, Drop Pod,

Total points= 1485

It doesn't make too much sense to me, but he had Dante, 3 assault marine squads of 10, and a devastator squad of 10 with 4 lascannons.
[hr]
[hr]

Deployment

I deployed my forces giving my self maximum fire coverage and i put my basilisk in the corner to make best use of its barrage minimum range if i needed. The battle field was simple with a road in the middle and a hill either side with a small building on as well as some small woods in two of the corners for some cover to any heavy weaponry. The blood angels would be deploying entirely by deep strike using drop pods mostly. We decided to go for a straight up pitched annihilation battle as it is the most fun mission to play.

Turn 1

Ryzian 57th
The commander Iditris grew impatient they had been waiting for days now, "How long must we wait?"
The officer of the fleet, Mologotha, replied, "They should be here in approximately 2 minutes." Early trajectories indicate they will be landing in that region," Mologotha waved his hand vaguely in front of him.
Iditris ordered his men to move forwards hoping they could catch the traitors as the doors to the drop pods opened.

Nothing much happened other than units moving forwards and some running to set up better coverage for the drop pod landing, it was the first drop pod army i had ever played so i was a bit unsure choosing to try and cover all the places available with fire.

Blood Angels
"Dante, there lines have moved forwards revealing an opening here."
"Excellent send the death guard to that location immediately, if we are lucky we can panic the enemy into firing at the death guard while inadvertently firing on their comrades."
.................................................. ................
The drop pod hit the ground hard stunning the death guard, as they clambered out they saw a clear lane straight at their command unit, taking the shots a guardsman was struck through the back ripping out his spine while another was caught through the heart and leg throwing him into a nearby tree another round struck the vox caster carrier but the medic was able to stem the bleeding letting him live to fight on.
.................................................. ................
The devastators had a much smoother landing as opposed to the death guards side ways one. Their orders were clear destroy the armour, A young recruit spotted the behemoth and soon all four lascannons found their mark piercing its crew compartment and itís engine bay leaving the vehicle a mere wreck.

Two drop pods arrived via the drop pod assault special rules, one containing the devastator squad which were able to fire upon the demolisher shaking and wrecking it. The death guard came in amongst the Imperial guard lines firing on the company command causing 5 wounds, two of which were saved and the two guardsman were removed as they had the least value and another was saved by FNP. The drop pods attempted to use their storm bolters on the company command but failed to land a single shot.

[hr]

Turn 2

Ryzian 57th
The commanding officers struggle to regain control over the stunned guardsman with the company command shouting at the lascannon team to bring down the near drop pod while the sergeant ordered their platoons into fire bases. The death guard shrugged of a swathe of lasgun fire before grenade launcher and plasma fire cut them down leaving a mere burnt patch where proud warriors once stood. He glanced over just in time to catch the demolisher being pierced by enemy lascannon fire and the crewman attempting to clamber out before being consumed by the raging inferno. He was quickly brought back to the immediate battle as the basilisk shook the earth as its mighty earth shaker fired upon the devastators, though it missed its mark it boosted the morale of the men to hear such a mighty gun was on their side.

The lascannons received the 'Bring it down' order firing on the left drop pod, 1 lascannon hits but thanks to the order the others successfully reroll but only one shot manages to penetrate, then rolling a 6 for Armour penetration it explodes taking 3 devastators with it. The left platoon moves up and, under 'first rank fire' produce an astounding 36 shots, 22 of which find their targets (which is a lot for guard). However only 5 wound, two of which are saved. :'( Now only down to four devastators the grenade launchers cause another wound and the heavy bolter from the basilisk, which previously missed with the earth shaker, killed another, leaving 2 left in the game. The death guard received the entire fire power of the bottom platoon saving all 7 wounds they caused only to have one guy fall as a grenade launcher hits target. Then the executioner opened fire, despite the risk of scattering into my own lines, landing a single shot catching all four and with wounding on a 2+ and no save or FNP they fell to its guns. This was his reasoning for placing them right in the guard lines:
Quote:
<Hereticus_Terminus> - I was trying a new tactic. I was thinking I could break up your lines and then drop on either side of you, but the reinforcements never came.
The drop pod remaining took a weapon destroyed result from the psyker battle squad rendering it useless.

Blood Angels
Dante watched the video link from the death guard drop pod, he could see the death guard firing upon the enemy HQ and hearing a loud boom the camera turned round to see the demolisher in flames before a second one revealed the basilisks presence as the camera turned to face the new threat a flash of white hit the squad incinerating all but the one of the death guard until a piece of metal smashed into his head destroying him. "Who do we have down there that survived that massacre?"
"Just two devastators sir."
"How did this happen, Where is our support? Tell them devastators to clear that area of armour, we will have to go in our selves!"

Since the only things the opponent had were two lascannon devastators and a useless drop pod his turn was very short consisting of the devastators moving and firing upon the veterans chimera stunning it twice while the drop pod sat there being droppody doing whatever a gun less drop pod does.

[hr]

Turn 3

Ryzian 57th
"How long until the next lot arrive?" Iditris commanded as he regained his stance.
"They should be here in under 20 seconds"
"Get that platoon to wipe out those devastators and get the rest back into there ranks, and while your at it get that drop pod out of my lines!"

Not much to do here, The top platoon opened fire on the two devastators killing them instantly while the lascannons scored an explosion on the drop pod. My opponent only rolled a measly 1" for the explosion radius meaning nothing was hit. My army moved around a bit to counteract the weaknesses in my lines.

Blood Angels
"Jump now, and remember engage your jets at 400ft." The pilot frantically held the thunder hawk in place while Dante and his attached assault marines jumped out to begin their quick decent into the fray of battle. "When those drop pods get there i want them to take out their veteran unit there giving us a safe area to land, tell the other team to attack their HQ throwing their command structure into disarray." Dante looked below him as he was in freefall towards the battle field, the battle seemed so distant yet he could almost taste the blood of the enemy even from up here, in the distance he could see battles raging else where as strike teams attacked strategic locations. in one far of battle he caught a glimpse of a drop pod land ins on a squad of guardsman, one unlucky assault marine was caught in a drop pods engine being sucked through and slammed into the ground as the drop pod fell to earth, with no way to stop itself it slammed into the ground being twisted and buckled and slowly blood began to drip from its doors as its occupants were crushed within. Dante drew his attention back to the battle he would be fighting in as he caught a glimpse of the drop pods below firing their engines to slow their descent.

Well thanks to my officer of the fleet absolutely nothing arrived and thanks to my forces everything else was dead meaning there was nothing to do in this half of the turn.

No picture as it would just be exactly the same as the one above!
[hr]

Turn 4

Ryzian 57th
"30 seconds until impact" Molgothas voice sounded over the noise of the ringing in Iditris's ears after another round was fired from the mighty earth shaker. "get the men ready and tell the sergeants to get them to open fire immediately instead of waiting for them to fire, not like last time anyway." The medic was still busy trying to tend to the vox casters wounds as he struggled to shout orders down the comms device to each of the platoons, Iditris could tell that this is just the start of their casua- "Sir, a unit of assault marines and what appear to be Dante himself have begun an aerial descent down to us!"
"It can't be, get the imperial navy onto them now! Even if they aren't completely destroyed we can push them away from the main battle." Iditris stood there in shock, he had heard many tales of Dante and he hoped they weren't true as at least then they would stand a chance against him.

Well everything on the enemy side is dead so it is just more shuffling around of the army and another extra long fluff bit.

Blood Angels
The drop pod hit the ground hard and the doors slammed into the ground revealing a chimera barely 6 feet away. Without thinking the squad immediately opened fire on the rear of it having been taught where to aim, rounds bounced off its tracks and entered the air vents exploding but only prevailing in stunning the occupants of it.

Once again my officer of the fleet prevailed in preventing the arrival of enemy forces bar a single drop pod leaving only two units left in reserve. He deep striked the drop pod behind my veteransí chimera scoring a direct hit. Then the assault marines disembarked firing on the weak rear armour of the chimera stunning the vehicle. the drop pod attempted to use its storm bolters against the chimera but failed in causing any damage.

Old 22 Aug 2009, 12:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Ryzian 57th vs. Blood Angels [1500 points] August 22nd, 2009

Turn 5

Ryzian 57th
"Echo2 i want you to fire on those assault marines immediately," the faint voice came over the vox caster.
"But we cannot get a good aim on them. With that chimera being so close to them there is a risk we could destroy them as well," The gunner of the executioner argued back as he tried to lock the targeting systems on to the assault marines but they were not responding. "well it looks like we will be doing this manually," he shouted as he lined up the sights with the marines, he closed his eyes and pulled the trigger. The tanks jerked violently jarring his arms as three plasma blasts were let loose followed closely by another two. AS he opened his eyes he saw two blasts find their target yet the last two fired veered violently into the chimera melting the armour plating and shaking the tank. The gunner gritted his teeth as he knew he would have to take this risk very time he fired from now on. As he was still staring at the devastation an earth shaker round hit the drop pod piercing its armour but failing to detonate, instead it plunged through the entire pod detonating below the ground.

First to take the new threat was the basilisk, i managed to roll a direct hit catching 4 assault marines as well has hitting directly on the drop pod. The shot managed to penetrate but that was as exciting as it would get as it merely stunned the pod. However it did instant death 4 assault marines who were still bunched up from disembarking. Next up the middle infantry platoon fired with 47 rounds thanks to 'first rank fire, second rank fire' yet in true guard style only 9 wounds were caused and only 3 went unsaved. I then decided to live dangerously firing my executioner at the assault marines with a high chance of hitting the chimera. i could only fire 4 blasts instead of 5 as one sponson wasn't facing it. Two rounds scored direct hits and the other two.... Scattered into the side and rear armour of the chimera! Thankfully the dice gods rolled low only giving it only one glancing which goes on to shake the vehicle... again! Those shots that did hit the assault marines accounted for 6 hits, 5 of which wounded and thanks to AP2 5 died. Unfortunately both the psyker battle squad and the Lascannons had their sight blocked by the many wrecks occupying the battle field.

Blood Angels
Dante looked around him as he tried to gauge how many assault marines were left, the thunder bolts had been strafing them ever since their jump reducing their numbers from over 30 down to only 17.. wait 14. One took a shot to the jet pack reducing it to just one side causing him to veer wildly into the man next to him, the resulting explosion took out another. 'Damn it! If we don't land soon we won't have any left' he thought. "Wait until we get to 70ft before we fire our jets, we don't want to be landing bit by bit!" Another two were claimed as a thunder bolt took another run but it was unable to pull away in time slamming into another, the helpless marine was sucked into the left engine destroying it, the thunderbolt veered wildly downwards hitting the ground below. Dante checked hi height 90ft... 80ft... 70ft... he fired his jets as they rushed towards the ground, even with the jet packs slowing them they hit the ground fast using their power armours servos to absorb the impact shaking the ground.

Well with the automatic reserves his last two units came into play. Dante attempted to land beside the chimera but scattered back to the end of the road. After checking the range between Dante and the chimera my opponent decided to fire with the assault marines bolt pistols at the chimeras side armour, thankfully he didn't cause any damage to it. Unfortunately Dantes perdition pistol could with it being a melta weapon. He hit the chimera and penetrated it managing to score a wrecked result. My veterans were forced to emergency disembark but thank fully they passed their pinning test. The other unit, a drop pod full of more assault marines, landed in between a platoon and the company commander plus the unit of lascannons. Being unable to assault he fired their pistols at the company commander forcing six wounds, two of which were saved and a further two saved from feel no pain. The wounds went to the vox caster and the officer of the fleet as neither of them was of any use at the time.

[hr]

Turn 6

Ryzian 57th
As commander Iditris stood watching Dante himself land on the far side of the battle field he was thrown to the ground as a drop pod slammed down just metres away, As the doors swung open 10 assault marines all adorned in purity seals and the finest of power armour burst out only to be met with the fire power of two entire platoons and the feared executioner. They raised their pistols level with him and fired hitting the dying vox caster through the neck and another exploded behind Mologotha knocking him unconscious. The previously quite part of the battle exploded in a flurry of lasgun fire, plasma and once more the mighty basilisk opening up on Dante. The lascanoners immediately opened fire on the Drop pod scoring a hit directly through its sophisticated control systems wrecking the infernal machine. The psykers started casting an intricate spell on Dante but their attentions were changed forcing them to shield the chimera from some wayward plasma rounds from the executioner as it fell yet more marines.

Well now all of my enemy units are on the field i don't have to worry about where they will arrive next. I issued the usual orders, bring it down to the lascannons and first rank fire to all the platoons, the lascannons fired at the near drop pod rolling a wrecked result. Then the bottom and middle platoon fired on the assault marines in the bottom left but they only managed a mere 2 wounds out of around 70 hits! Next was the four grenade launchers the platoons carried between them of which two hit getting 6 guys each but due to its low strength only one marine was killed leaving 7 left. The veteran squad, now without their chimera, went right up to dantes squad firing all three flamers they had scoring 24 hits, 10 of which wounded and 5 went unsaved. The rest of the veterans fired taking down another marine before the basilisk fired at them but it scattered only managing to hit one guy who was vaporised by the shell. This left Dante and 5 assault marines in that squad. Finally the executioner took the risk once more firing at the assault marines from the drop pod scoring two direct hits causing 9 wounds with no save allowed but once more two shots scattered into the chimera immobilising it. Finally the psyker battle squad attempted to use soul storm to attack Dante. With 9 psykers and a lucky dice roll it would have been a S9 AP1 Large Blast... If it hadn't of missed. And to quote my self,
Quote:
* Unholy Harbinger rolled the Scatter Dice
* 2d6 = 4,6 * <Unholy Harbinger>, Sides = 6, Added to each die = 0
<Hereticus_Terminus> - Ohh, that sucks. >.<
<Unholy Harbinger> - Haha the grass shall feel the wrath of the warp!
<Hereticus_Terminus> - XD
At this point the only thing my opponent had was a useless drop pod, Dante and five assault marines

Blood Angels
Before Dante had time to react after being knocked back from the chimerasí fuel tank exploded the traitorous imperial guard veterans burst forward bringing three flamers to purge them in their flames. The flamers coated every surface in flame finding every gap in their power armour to which three marines fell as they were burnt within their venerable armour. An explosion ripped the air in two as a earth shaker hit just behind them, a piece of shrapnel whipped through the air and embedded it self in the skull of yet another marine. The rest of the veterans took the opportunity and fired picking off a final marine. Dante bellowed to the marines that survived, "We have come this far and lived, let us continue that glory!" they charged headlong into the veterans cutting them down with their chain swords.

My opponent didn't have much to do this turn as he had very few men. He just fired the marines at the veterans killing 3 of them before they charged which killed the rest of them before they could strike back. With a good consolidation roll he moved towards my main forces.

[hr]

Turn 7

Ryzian 57th
"Get all the fire power on that enemy now, and get the basilisk to take out that drop pod. THat should disrupt their comms."
"Yes sir!"
Commander Iditris surveyed the carnage as dante cut down the veterans and began to run towards their main forces.
.................................................. ......
"Echo 2, Bring all your fire onto Dante now!"
"Gladly sir!"
The gunner of the executioner brought the tanks formidable weaponry to bear on Dante but as he went to fire the drop pod in front exploded in a shower of shrapnel but the machine spirit of the tank kept its sights true and every shot hit home.

We decided not to roll for turn 7 but just to play it for fun. This turn was dubbed the turn of miracles. First up to fire was the top platoon who failed to cause any damage as opposed to the middle platoon that managed to kill a single marine. Next up the basilisk fired at the remaining drop pod scoring a direct hit getting a wrecked result on the drop pod. Since everything else was either out of range or couldn't see it just left the executioner the only one available to attempt to redeem itself. This next sequence of rolling turns out at odds of 1 in 2187! I rolled the scatter dice for the first shot... direct hit! Second shot direct hit! Third shot, fourth shot, fifth shot all direct hits! We rolled it another 2 times and it still hit! That scatter dice rolled 7 direct hits in a row! Though the executioner only has 5 shots they got 5 men each resulting in 25 wounds. Thanks to the high strength I rolled for a total of 20 Wounds, or four on each. This meant every assault marine died automatically due to AP and Dante had to use a 4+ invulnerable instead of his 2+ armour. Luckily Dante failed 2 saves leaving him with one wound at my end of turn 7.

Blood Angels
Dante stood there as his force field shielded him from the plasma the executioner was firing yet for the rest of his squad they were melted in seconds as the white hot substance slammed into them. Dante had finally found what had been killing his men. Now on his own he ran directly towards it holstering his pistol and raising his hammer above his head slamming it down on to the fearsome tank only for it to glance of an impenetrable field as the psykers desperately tried to stop Danteís attacks. The weight of the Hammer missing threw Dante to the ground where the Executioner slammed into reverse opening Dante up to the full force of the Ryzian 57th.

Hooray! With only a single model on the field this turn was short! Dante moved towards the executioner with a healthy 12" from the jump pack before firing the perdition pistol failing to hit the tank. In his last act of the battle he attempted to kill the tank in close combat using krak grenades but he failed to roll high enough doing no damage.

[hr]

Turn 8

Ryzian 57th
"Victory is in our grasp, donít let it go!" Commander Iditris could almost taste the victory as he saw Dante struggle to regain his balance as an entire platoon fired upon him, he could see the force field was beginning to cut out as slowly more and more lasgun shots penetrated the arcane devices field until with a crack the executioner opened fire smashing the field and slamming into Dante. As Dante was thrown to the ground, armour melting away, he activated his teleporter taking him back to his orbiting ship.

Yes, a turn 8! We decided to keep playing until Dante died just to see how long it would take. I pulled the executioner back from Dante before firing at him with the middle platoon who only got 4 wounds all of which were saved. Next to fire was the executioner and it seemed to have carried its luck fro the previous round with it as the first shot missed but the next three rolled direct hits and the third rolls 2" of scatter which was negated by its ballistic skill into a direct hit! All of the shots wounded Dante and only 2 were saved by his 4+ invulnerable killing him!

[hr]

Conclusion
"Damn it, victory may be ours but he still got away"
"Sir the other battles are reporting that the blood angels are withdrawing from this planet after Dante was taken down, we won!"
Iditris examined the carnage that the assault had done, they were lucky this time but next time could be different. "We must return to Ryza as I am sure the administorium would like to know why we were fighting the blood angels, it's something I would like to know as well.

Total casualties through the game:

Imperial guard:
1 Demolisher
1 Chimera
10 Veterans
1 master of the fleet (from command Squad)
3 guardsman (from command squad)

Total kill points= 3

Dante
5 Death Company -One Extra Death Company,
4 Drop Pods
30 Assault Marines
10 Devastators

Total kill points= 6 (10 if you count drop pods)

An Imperial guard victory! Even if they had of killed more squads than me i still would have won as they were completely wiped out. That was my first Imperial guard win and my second Imperial guard battle ever!

Quote:
<Hereticus_Terminus> - Because Drop pods aren't the best strategy for swarm armies.
<Unholy Harbinger> - Boy they are going to have a hard job collecting the geneseed from that!
<Hereticus_Terminus> - You mean the melted ball of plasma?
<Unholy Harbinger> - Yeah!
<Hereticus_Terminus> - It's just like the beginning of the Blood Angels book. Their commanding officer is shouting orders when a ball of plasma melts him to the floor.
Please leave a comment!
Old 23 Aug 2009, 00:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy
Default Re: Ryzian 57th vs. Blood Angels [1500 points] - August 22nd, 2009

woot. high five.

im glad everything got ironed out.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2009, 04:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

30 assault squads :sadnshocked: , but otherwise very nice game.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2009, 05:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Woops! That would be a typo. Fixed it!

Thanks for the comments guys.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 22:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

Wow, with that navigator advisor, drop pod armies are nigh unusable! Well, GG.

(ummmm this wasn't me guys, this was warboss vandersnatch just saying...)
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2009, 08:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, that guy is lethal to drop pod armies as he would be dropping two pods but then couldn't get the reserves in time to support them meaning they died easily ad it was imperial guard army vs two units and two drop pods.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 10:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Nice report.

Did he really fire his Lascannons the turn he got out of a drop pod? I don't remember Blood Angel Devastator marines being relentless.
cykosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2009, 10:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Apparantly the only limitation on drop pods is you can't assault when you arrive but you can assault as normal.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 10:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You cannot assault the turn you land that is true. They count as having moved though so cannot fire heavy weapons. Looks like you are owed a demolisher tank so you should have beat him 10 to 2 in the end. Drop pods do count towards Kill Points.
cykosis is offline   Reply With Quote