Warhammer 40K Forum

3 Planetstrike BatReps [1500 pts] - August 15th, 2009
Old 15 Aug 2009, 10:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default 3 Planetstrike BatReps [1500 pts] - August 15th, 2009

Added the date.
Boneguard

Okay, just got back (alright, so I had dinner too :P) from a big bring and battle planetstrike day at the LGS. Good god was it fun. Now, without further ado, the BatReps, from what I can remember.

[hr]

Game 1
Attacker: Necrons
Defender: Tau

Attacker Strategems
Dawn Assault
Scorched Skies

Defender Strategems
Void Shield
Ammunition Store

Okay, as I was defending I set up the board in decent castle formation, Skyshield in the centre (with Void Shield), and a Bastion on two sides of the platform (the sides closest to the short board edges). All of this was encircled by an Aegis line. Deployment consisted of one fire warrior squad in each bastion, and their attendant warfishes on the skyshield (Shielded mode, of course ). The sniper drone team was set up behind the aegis line on the south edge of the board.

The firestorm actually did very little surprisingly, just managing to stun a single warfish.

Turn 1 opened with about 60% of his force walking on from his DZ (a short board edge, we'll call it west). 4 Destroyers, 10 Warriors, Tomb Spyder, Lord + Immortals. Very little damage was inflicted, but he still managed to kill the sniper drones. Not really that hard if you ask me.

For my first turn all the battlesuits, the Tetra, Piranha, and Stealthsuits arrived. The crisis suits (shas'el, shas'ui, shas'vre, all separate units) deep struck to south-west, surrounding the destroyer squad. The Tetra and the Piranha arrived from the south as well, and decided to close in as well. In the shooting phase the destroyer squad was completely wiped out, but the stealthsuits, who had deep struck to the north-west,completely failed to do anything against the immortals. Firing from the bastions had limited effect on warrior squad.

Turn 2 saw a monolith fall from the sky just south east of the skyshield, and bring a unit of warriors through its portal. A trio of heavy destroyers also showed up. Shooting was a mixed bag, the monolith managing to stun the nearby warfish on the sky shield, but not really doing much else. The heavy destroyers proceeded to rip apart the void shield on the skyshield pad. The warrior unit managed to take a single wound off the crisis shas'ui and the tomb spyder from turn 1 assaulted the nearby bastion, managing to destroy it in a gigantic explosion, killing 3 of the fire warriors inside. The immortals then carved up the stealthsuits (nothing can save you from a bad scatter roll when DSing it seems…) and moved to the skyshield.

My turn 2 saw the fusionhead show up right behind the heavy destroyers and the sky ray come in behind the 'lith. The shooting phase saw more warriors from the first unit fall to fire from the remaining bastion, and the death of the tomb spyder that had destroyed the bastion. The heavy destroyers disappeared into a pile of melted slag as the fusion cannon fired.

Turn 3 saw the necron warriors assault the squad from the destroyed bastion, as well a whole lot of firepower directed towards my tanks, which, by now, seemed blessed by the dice gods. It also saw the last tomb spyder waltzed on next to my hammerhead. The crisis suits were somehow killed by a combination of rapid fire gauss, and the monolith's flux arc (I blame the dice… no seriously, I blame the dice. :P). The lord and immortals also moved far enough to claim the skyshield, and warriors in combat with my fire warriors held another objective. The fusionhead's cannon was ripped off by the tomb spyder and it was also stuned. Things were starting to look bleak.

My third turn saw the movement of a certain warfish cause the biggest upset of the game, a tank shock forcing the lord and his squad of immortals away from the skyshield, and eventually off the board. Shooting caused some damaged to the second unit of warriors south of the skyshield. In combat the fire warriors on the destroyed bastion managed not only to win, but cut down their fleeing, metallic, opponents. Let's just say that today was not a great day for leadership rolls for this guy.

Turn 4 saw the warfish tailing the immortals immobilised, as well as the 'lith moving to get a clear shot at the other 'fish, which had moved from the skyshield to allow the sky ray to fit up there. D-pods saved the day against the 'lith, and the warriors couldn't do anything to the tanks all around them. The tomb spyder in the north west ripped the stunned fusionhead into tiny little pieces, but was now too far from the objectives to really make a difference.

My turn 4 saw the piranha take up the duties of immortal harassing, and other tanks jostling for position. Potshots were taken at the warriors in the south, but they all stood back up. (*cough* jammy git *cough*).

Turn 5 saw the 'lith edge closer to the bastion that still stood, but it fell short of contact by an inch. No objective for you mr cheeky unkillable tank. The immortals also ran off the board at this time, a critical issue in my turn.

My fifth, and final, turn saw me having just one objective: Kill two or more warriors to force a phase out. At first, nothing worked due to the warriors being behind an aegis line, but then, getting desperate, I used the sky ray to fire a pair of seekers into the warrior squad. Kerrunch.

And with that, the game was over, the Tau having successfully defended their world from an invading necron force.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2009, 10:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 3 Planetstrike BatReps [1500 pts]

In the second battle of the day I got to play attacker, which was dead fun.

[hr]

Game 2
Attacker: Tau
Defender: Guard

Attacker Strategems
Deathstorm
Crash and Burn

Defender Strategems
Drop Zone Denial

The terrain this time was all set up as a big gauntlet style formation at the north of the board. Tight, but space enough between the bastions and skyshield to move a tank or two. An aegis line split the board into a roughly 1/4 and 3/4 split. The 1/4 held all the objectives. The 3/4 held… nothing.

He deployed all his tanks, Valkyrie on or around the skyshield, with one command unit going to each bastion. The normal infantry platoons were deployed under the skyshield, which was entertaining, but a real bitch to actually move later on. His heavy weapon teams were also deployed on the landing pad, which was once more shielded.

The firestorm ripped through his lines, killing almost an entire platoon, and stunning all the vehicles. A good start.

Turn 1 opened with everything but my stealthsuits, piranha and fusionhead appearing. I chose the east side as my DZ, and proceeded to pile on in the far north-east corner. The first casualty of the day was the eastern bastion, structural supports ripped out by a well placed melta blast. This managed to kill only one of the guardsmen in the command squad. In addition, the deathstorm arrived, ripping through about five units, killing a total of twelve guardsmen, and also putting a wound on my shas'o. (I was low on points, so the suit with the CIB was upgraded from regular to extra-strength.)

For the IG first turn pretty much everything fired at the cluster of tanks in the corner, and for the most part, did a grand total of squat. Special mention must go to the master of ordnance, who managed to immobilise the sky ray with a direct hit. (Scatter, but rolled a triple 1 for distance :P).

Turn 2 had a fusionhead arriving with a piranha and the return of a delayed battlesuit. I also decided to play crash and burn now. In the shooting phase the entirety of the command squad with the master of ordnance was absolutely massacred by battlesuit fire, but from the ashes rose a lone, rather badly singed, melta-gunner. I did believe this would spell bad news for me later. My own shooting had little further effect. With a horrible rending noise the sky split open, smoke and flame trailing from debris dropped from orbit. The final damage total was a leman russ, a hydra, a badly damaged skyshield (it's a pity the damage result that affects it is destroyed, otherwise…) and a single guardsman who couldn't run fast enough.

The IG second turn saw the stormtroopers jump out of the Valkyrie, but fail to find any targets due to giant armoured behemoths in the way. The platoons under the skyshield moved out, and the command squad inside the western bastion ran under the skyshield. The executioner fired on the hammerhead, three direct hits, and failed to roll high enough to even glance the beast. The stealthsuits took heavy fire from the guardsmen on the aegis line, losing two as revenge for gunning down nearly a whole squad the previous turn. The melta-gunner who seemed worryingly close the fusionhead failed to hit the broad side of a barn at twenty paces…

Turn 3 had a lot happening. My vehicles were now no longer stunned, and my suits moved from the cover the vehicles were providing to take a bead on the advancing infantry platoon. One airbursting fragmentaion projector round later and seven guardsmen lay dead, another picked off a short range missile. With that little battle already decided, the shas'o with CIB used his fusion blaster first (because it's funnier that way) to immolate the melta-gunner, who claimed cover from the fusionhead. The dice weren't having any of it though, and the melta-gunner went up like a puff of smoke. The fusionhead managed to fire clean through the valkyrie's engine, bringing crashing down on top of the skyshield landing pad. Two seekers from the sky ray finished it off.

The third IG turn saw the second platoon from the skyshield run forwards, ready to gun down my commander, which they did ably with first rank, fire! second rank, fire! The executioner tried to target the fusionhead once more, but couldn't hit the broad side of barn, with each template scattering at least 7" in the wrong direction. I'm sure that entertained someone…

Turn 4, which was the final turn due to time constraints, saw a certain manoeuvre repeated by a warfish, this time against stormtroopers. He passed morale, but as a warfish is quite large, was forced off the skyshield, due to a lot of wreckage being in the way. Multiple smart missile systems, a fusion cannon, and a well placed CIB killed the second platoon and the stormtroopers, while the piranha, having now gotten to the western end of the board, fired a fusion blast up the executioner's rather large behind, turning it into white hot shards of wreckage and an impressive crater. In the assault phase the piranha's drones managed to take out the heavy weapon team (previously damaged) on top of the skyshield.

The fourth IG turn was called off due, to attacker victory being quite clear by that point (5 guardsmen left alive vs a sky ray, 2 warfishes, a fusionhead, piranha, tetra, shas'o with CIB; and the fact any of my vehicles could reach each of the three objectives in the final movement phase) and the aforementioned time constraints.

It was a tight game, especially at the start, but a ton of short range firepower (and no small amount of luck) swung the day for me.

Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Old 16 Aug 2009, 01:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 3 Planetstrike BatReps [1500 pts] - August 15th, 2009

Okay, okay, I know this is late to get up, but when your internet fails as hard as mine does…

[hr]

Game 3
Attacker: Tau
Defender: Marines

Attacker Strategems
Scorched Skies
Crash and Burn

Defender Strategems
Turreted Stronghold
Krak Attack
Ammo Dump

This time the terrain was a ruined, overgrown city/outpost. Lets just say the kid really liked to have a ton of terrain. Two bastions and the skyshield were arranged in the north, relatively close together, with the turreted stronghold in the north-west. The fourth objective was an aquila shrine, due east of the centre of the board, with an interceptor gun placed on it. A fifth objective was added in the south-east corner, in the middle of a forest.

He deployed a single squad on the aquila shrine, some assault marines on the skyshield and his razorback just in front of the turreted stronghold. Everything else was held in reserve, in drop pods, with a unit of terminators ready to teleport in.

Naval railcannon fire fell like rain, ripping apart every exposed interceptor gun, killing the unit on top of the aquila shrine and turning the razorback into a cratered ruin. Both bastions were also heavily shaken, and the assault marines on the skyshield lost only two of their number thanks to the invulnerable save.

Turn 1 opened with everything but my stealthsuits, fusionhead, sniper drones, and sunforge suit appearing. I chose the north side as my DZ. The sky ray and both warfish deployed onto the skyshield while the piranha took position under the turreted stronghold, as did the command suits. The shooting phase saw off the assault marines very nicely with just SMS and seeker fire.

The marines first turn saw everything arrive. A dreadnaught landed next to the skyshield, a command squad claimed the south-east objective and a unit of terminators scattered horribly, winding up in the middle of a forest, all bunched together. A second full tac squad deployed in the west, hoping to take out the piranha that had failed to destroy the turreted stronghold. A combat squad deployed in the east, near the bastion with the ammo dump. The only damage inflicted from shooting was the piranha being stunned, and the terminators managing to take a single wound of my shas'o.

Turn 2 saw the arrival of the fusionhead, sniper drones, sunforge and stealthsuits. The sniper drones wasted no time in occupying the turreted stronghold, their controller hacking the primitive AI and shutting down all the weapons on that building. The fusionhead lined up for a wonderful shot against the terminators, and both warfish moved out, deploying their payload of well trained fire warriors, one team to the full squad, one team to the combat squad. The stealthsuits deployed carefully behind the dread, and the sunforge ran on, taking aim at the bastion with the ammo dump. The shas'o jumped on top of the skyshield. The shooting phase saw the combat squad lose only 2 men, while the full squad lost eight, but didn't run. The dreadnaught was merely shaken, despite the multiple pulse rounds punching through its thin rear armour. The terminators lost three of their number to a fusion cannon blast, the others managing to take cover in time. The shas'o took careful aim at the skyshield's main power generator and destroyed the entire building in an apocalyptic explosion, but didn't actually harm anything aside from the skyshield.

The second marine turn saw very little action, aside from the remnants of the combat squad entering the bastion and firing the quad-gun on top at the shas'el, causing a wound. All the firepower directed at my tanks just bounced right off. The dreadnaught assaulted my shas'el, ripping him limb from limb and consolidating into the cratered remains of the skyshield.

Turn 3 would have seen the use of crash and burn, had I not been doing so well already (and having forgotten about the strategem anyways). All the fire warriors piled back into their transports which moved just enough so that any firing would be outside D-pod range. In the shooting phase the sniper drones took careful aim at the two remaining marines from the full squad and killed both. The fusionhead also saw off the last three termies with another well placed fusion cannon blast. The dreadnaught was shaken once again by the stealths, then the shas'o showed them how to do the job, his fusion blaster turning the dreadnaught into a fiery explosion. (I think he likes watching stuff explode…). In the assault phase the sunforge suit moved up to contact the ammo dump bastion.

The third marine turn saw the command squad consolidating onto their objective in the south-east and not a whole lot else. The game was called at this point, due to the store beginning to close. At the end of the game I held 4 objectives to 1, and he had just two units left, to my four tanks, shas'o, stealth, piranha, sunforge and sniper drones. It was decided that the tau had won a very comprehensive victory.

It was a fun game, if a little short. A small note for defending marines, drop-podding in when you could hold objectives from the start is not the wisest idea. I maybe should have taken it easy on the kid, but the dice seemed to love me and hate him this game. He was also a bit of an upstart, bragging about his marines' superiority at everything. It was still a very fun game, if a little one sided at the end.

–tvtropes.org