Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

(Battle report) Da invashun of Blacksun rock, 2nd big bash. KOS vs Tau 1750pts
Old 31 Jul 2007, 13:16   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default (Battle report) Da invashun of Blacksun rock, 2nd big bash. KOS vs Tau 1750pts

KOS vs Tau 1750pts Gamma level 'Search and Destroy' mission.
badusernametag vs pond823

Grand Over-fiend Skargash prized the helmet open with a meaty fist and peered in. "'is a trick!" he bellowed, causing several of the surrounding boyz to take a step back. "De's ain't even beakies at all! Same kinda tinz but all grey 'un shrived up on da insides. Dey didn't fight 'ard like beakies neaver." The massive ork unfurled his bulk from the crouching position in which he had been inspecting the fallen warrior, a look of intense concentration on his face. "Well whateva de is, they fragged some good trukks, we'ze gonna find dere base and skrag dere boss. Yous boyz get dem lazy..."

His words were cut off by another violent explosion that rocked the walls of the ruin that the Warboss and his assembled Nobz occupied. A small ork, almost more grot than ork, burst through the decimated opening that had once been an entranceway. "Boss! Boss! We'ze found 'a loadda old 'umie tanks in dat big old shed daan the hill, but da outriders jus come back sayin there's a load more skinny beakies on the way." The interruption obviously broke the big orks train of thought and he paused for a second before pounding his fist into the messengers face. "Nevva interrup' me you little git!" he barked. His words punctuated by the sound of breaking bone.

"Right boyz, we gotta new plan. The boss sounded more determined, the promise of a fight banishing the confusion of thought. "Bordaz, go find Uglud 'an tell 'im to get his big trukk mob fired up. 'e was so pissed 'e missed the last scrap, this time i wun im right up da frunt. less see if we can get dem old umie trukks goin to, i needs some new 'eads for my dragster..."

<u>Uglud dus Shiftit'z Big Trukk Mob</u>

HQ: Big Mek Uglud dus Shiftit (55)
Choppa; Kustom force field; ‘eavy armour
(transport)
Battlewagon (155)
Zzap gun; 2x twin linked rokkit launcha; Force Field; Red paint job; Grot riggers; Armour plates

ELITES: Uglud'z big shoota boyz (84)
5 ‘Ard boyz
Choppa; Slugga; 3x Big shoota
(transport)
Battlewagon (150)
3x Twin linked Big shoota; Force field; Red paint job; Grot riggers; Armour plates; Krusha

ELITES: Gazbad'z inferno ladz (179)
10 ‘Ard boyz
Choppa; Slugga; 3x Burna; Nob- Power claw
(transport)
Wartrukk (45)
Red paint job; Grot riggers; Armour plates; Big shoota

TROOPS: Bordaz' Boyz (151)
10 Trukk boyz
Choppa; Slugga; 1x Burna; Nob- Mega armour; Scorcha kombi weapon; Iron gob
(transport)
Wartrukk (40)
Red paint job; Grot riggers; Armour plates

TROOPS: Gurnub'z Boyz (151)
10 Trukk boyz
Choppa; Slugga; 1x Burna; Nob- Mega armour; Scorcha kombi weapon; Iron gob
(transport)
Wartrukk (40)
Red paint job; Grot riggers; Armour plates

TROOPS: 3 Warbikes (90)

TROOPS: 2 Wartraks (92)
1x Twin linked rokkit launcha
1x Scorcha
Grot Riggers; Armour plates

TROOPS: Wartrak (47)
Twin linked rokkit launcha; Grot riggers; Armour plates

TROOPS: Wartrak (47)
Twin linked rokkit launcha; Grot riggers; Armour plates

FAST ATTACK: Fighta bomba raid (30)

HEAVY SUPPORT: Das 'uge umie trukk (165)
Looted Leman Russ Demolisher
Hull mounted heavy bolter; Grot riggers; Armour plates; Red paint job

HEAVY SUPPORT: 3x Guntrukk (141)
Lobba; Grot riggers

HEAVY SUPPORT: Guntrukk (87)
Zzap gun; rokkit launcha; Grot riggers; Armour plates

TOTAL: 1749

I started writing this up the day after the game, but then havn't had a chance to finish it for several days so my memory is a little hazy.
My basic strategy (if orks have such a thing!?) was to distract his big guns with my two battlewagons and the Leman Russ, allowing my boyz to race up and clump him in the head. Simple?

I set up in accordance with this, concentrating the two halves of my force on either side of the board, leaving the middle fairly empty. The zzap gun battlewagon, demolisher, 1 mob of boyz, 2 rokkit trukks and the scorcha trukks on the right flank facing a rail-head, broadsides, two units of crisis suits, a devilfish and kroot. The 'shoota' wagon, ard boyz, other boyz mob and remaining rokkit trukk on the left flank facing his commander, a second devilfish, 3 piranhas and a solitary broadside. Leaving the lobba trukks, zzap trukk and warbikes to hold the center.

My bombardment hit not a thing, but winning the first turn i surged forward and a lucky Zzap gun shot killed one of the overexposed broadsides on the right, sending the other running, which brought me hope and a resounding WAAAAGH!! went up through my troops.

After this things get a little hazy but i can remember certain highlights;
On turn two having blown up the 'ard boyz trukk, my opponent surged his stealth suits far too close to the boyz mob next to the 'ard boyz. The boyz raced in front of the 'ard boyz and dismounted. Allowing the 'ard boyz to mount up again. The boyz then assaulted the stealth suits and wiped them out.

The lone broadside on the left fired at the shoota battlewagon for three turns straight, each turn rolling a 1 or 2 for it's AP roll. I breathed many a sigh of relief!

On the third turn my canny opponent realised my distraction trick and the rail-head swept away from the KFF shielded battlewagon and demolisher to open a world of pieplate doom on the boyz that had eaten the stealth suits. Only a couple of boyz and the nob survived. Who were frazzled in short order by surrounding fire.

The boyz mob on the right flank did a lot better, having basically been ignored/blocked for two turns they raced around some cover and assaulted a crisis suit team. They were wiped out and despite heavy fire all round the nob and a remaining burna armed boy went on to take out the second left flank broadside, some fire warriors, the rail-head and ALL the kroot! Bordaz the mega-armoured nob was once again the hero of the battle!

my opponent used vehicles to counter mine extremely effectively. Especially the use of piranhas as blocker/assassins. After a first turn of bad shooting i had very little to shoot at with my small arms, as everything was mounted. I rolled appallingly for damage rolls on vehicles and as all of his vehicles were skimmers moving faster than 6" it took till turn 5 for them to start going down. This kept his fire going and my trukks exploding. If it weren't for this i am sure victory would've been mine. Trick seems to be to concentrate your fire on one target, stunning it so that on the next turn you can get proper hits.

My Zzap gun battlewagon eventually failed a KFF roll and went sky high. Uglud survived and avoided the circling crisis suits that were edging round the flank. However a suicide charge against the emerging kroot proved to be just that and he went down. The Demolisher however didn't lose it's big gun till turn 5 and still managed to ground a piranha with it's heavy bolter.

The lobbaz once again proved their use against the tau, being the most accurate single unit and claiming the majority of my fire warrior kills.

Grot riggers are a life saver, that two points saves me a load on VPs in the end in almost every game. Anyone that poo-poos armour plates is also foolish, especially at high points. It's a slim chance i know but i seem to have a knack for rolling that six at the vital moment. When it saves your battlewagon on the last turn, meaning the difference between victory and defeat you're glad of them!

When the smoke cleared the carnage was extreme but was left ONE point off a win. An excellent game vs admirable opposition.

Gonna try to take notes/make maps for future games so i can post a more comprehensive report. 500pt combat patrol tourney coming up. Will make sure to cover that properly.
badusernametag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2007, 15:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: (Battle report) Da invashun of Blacksun rock, 2nd big bash. KOS vs Tau 1750pts

Karma point earned on a good battle report badusernametag.

I'm glad to see a speed freak army list do well against the Tau. Generally these shooty little blighter's take down Wartrukks pretty quick. One of the keys to success is having a huge battle wagon as a fire magnet.

Taking the Lobbas on the Guntrukks was a nice touch. Lobbas on Guntrukks are often ignored by Speedfreak players in lue of using Zzap Gunz. I think that the lure of a Zzap is the autohit (which is very nice). The Lobba is great in strengthening one's anti-infantry capability. I now run two full batteries of Lobbas with my footsloggers. They usually survive the game and rack up some good kill points unless its a Gamma game and they don't get on until turn three or four. The bummer of Gamma on the Lobbas is that they have to wait one turn before shooting even after they arrive because they are a heavy unit.

Grot Riggers are about the best bargain that the Orks have. They are completely indispensable in a Speedfreak army list. Armour plates are also cheap insurance on Battlewagons and Gunwagons!

Good report!!

Best Regards,
Old 31 Jul 2007, 15:34   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: (Battle report) Da invashun of Blacksun rock, 2nd big bash. KOS vs Tau 1750p

Thanx IVEATCH.
Glad to see I'm doing something right. Have been preparing a Speed Freeks tactica as there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive one on here. Am i right?

Do you mean it's a bummer cos of reserve rolls for lobbas? This battle was fought at the 'second' level of mission, which i believe is gamma? But there are no escalation or reserves rules in operation at this level? But you're right. I find reserves rolls crippling at times for KOS. If your mobz of trukk boyz all turn up on separate turns you can't mount a cohesive offensive and they get taken down one by one. Also means you've got that extra 12"+ to cover to get to the enemy, which is bad whether you're playing KOS or foot sloggers.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 19:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: (Battle report) Da invashun of Blacksun rock, 2nd big bash. KOS vs Tau 1750p

i dont really understand lobbas is it roll to hit or scatter a bit you knows?

same thing as a frag cannon just less range
Comes from the green dragon
squig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 02:10   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by squig
i dont really understand lobbas is it roll to hit or scatter a bit you knows?

same thing as a frag cannon just less range
Eh?? Speak English earth boy!
It's a guess range, barrage weapon. See page 31 of the rule book. You place the blast marker anywhere on the table. Then check range, if your in range then you roll for scatter. Scatter dice +1d6 if you've got LOS, +2d6 if you don't have LOS.
Disco!
Old 01 Aug 2007, 02:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: (Battle report) Da invashun of Blacksun rock, 2nd big bash. KOS vs Tau 1750pts

Ack, your right, badusernametag! Omega has escalation, not Gamma.

There is currently no Speed Freak Tatica here at our section of Tau Online. Grandpa Ducky has made some good posts about KOS if memory serves me. Any contributions will be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Old 01 Aug 2007, 21:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Another Kos player, Yay!

Quote:
There is currently no Speed Freak Tatica here at our section of Tau Online. Grandpa Ducky has made some good posts about KOS if memory serves me. Any contributions will be appreciated.
Is there any plans for making some?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2007, 10:09   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVEATCH
Ack, your right, badusernametag! Omega has escalation, not Gamma.

Best Regards,
Hmmm, feel a bit like a pedant now. That wasn't the intention.

Anyways, thanx again. I will check out ducky's posts and start writing something up.
Old 02 Aug 2007, 13:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

There is a reason why the Battlewagon is a justifiable target. I saw how many dice you rolled when you fired! BS 2? So what! Handfuls of dice
Old 02 Aug 2007, 16:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ty bradur...yacant find my rulebook at the moment what does barrage do again?
Comes from the green dragon
squig is offline   Reply With Quote