Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Batrep]: 1000 orks and 1750 Dark Eldar
Old 12 Jun 2007, 00:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default [Batrep]: 1000 orks and 1750 Dark Eldar

Maybe I'll get tired of writing battle reports, but it's so nice to be playing again that I just can't resist

best of all, this weekend I saw two opponents that I almost never get to play against:
Dark Eldar and Orks!

So, Batrep 1: Tyranids vs. Orks 1000 points Cleanse

My list:
Broodlord +retinue
+str
ret: +sv, Scythe

16x Tgaunts +str
16x Tgaunts +str
16x Devgaunts +str
8x genestealers +sv
8x genestealers +sv
114 point Devilfex

His list:
Warboss...
2x killa kans, 1 with burna, 1 with big shoota
10x(?) shootas with Nob
15x(?) sluggas with Nob
10x(?) stormboys with Nob
4x(?) bikes
3x Lobba battery

A new player and an EXCELLENT sport, the gentleman has been playing orks for almost a year now. he plays a standard ork list (not speedfreeks or any Klan) and does pretty well with it nowadays.

he warned me early on that he had to leave fairly soon so we got a quick game in.

Set up as you see in the map, he forgot his warboss.

Red is Dangerous open terrain
dark Grey is 4+ cover saves (mostly bridges)
white circles are difficult terrain over rivers.

Turn 1:
~he moves everything forward and does some scattered shooting. successfully puts 2 wounds on devilfex with a single big shoota. he's terribly worried about the genestealers (they've done a number on him before)
~I move forward as well, hoping to get as many of my guns in range as possible, while still remaining in cover. I'm worried a little about the big slugga squad chewing through my devilfex and genestealer retinues. sporadic shooting kills a few of his models, and the devilfex stuns the Killa kan 2 (the one with the burna)

Turn 2:
~he moves forward again, almost ready to charge. with my genestealers in front, he blasts away at them killing the entire unit. his Storm boyz have moved onto a flank and I'm now only able to interpose with some tgaunts. they are about 1 turn away from assault. more shooting kills a few here and there.
~my left hand gaunts and stealers continue to move up and the devourers are able to kill a few sluggas. My devilfex is able to kill the killa kan this turn. Better, he's moved into my assault range! my broodlord charges out of cover into the bikes, hoping to jump them, kill them all and consolidate out of the slugga's assault range. this fails miserably, leaving 1 bike living and out of base contact. I can't make a sweeping advance and my consolidate move is reduced to 3 inches, well within his assault range. Being this is my only synapse unit, I'm quite worried.

Turn 3:
~His sluggas move up and lay into the broodlord and retinue, killing 3 in the shooting phase. his storm boyz move up and are prepared to assault into cover where the gaunts are. storm boy shooting allows me to remove the front rank of gaunts, and when he rolls to assault into cover, he gets a mere 4 inches, 1 inch short of a successful charge. now they're stuck in the open. His sluggas get the assault on my broodlord and retinue. they fight back desperately, but the genestealers die. however, 24 attacks were directed at the broodlord, and out of all of that, not a single one actually causes a wound (4+ to hit, 6+ to wound: he should have done about 4 wounds, statistically speaking).
he remembers his Warboss wasn't deployed, and I allow it to move on from the table edge.
~on my turn, my remaining genestealers and a squad of tgaunts comes to the rescue of the broodlord, killing off the sluggas. the devgaunts blast the shootas, then assault, killing off the unit. on the right, the Tgaunts do the same thing to the poor storm boyz.

at this point he has a Killa kan, a warboss and a lobba unit.
I have most of my army remaining, less a few gaunts and more than a few genestealers.

he surrenders amicably, we talk over the game and he packs and goes.
Observations: Not being a seasoned player, He pushes too hard for the assault, exposing his units to unnecessary risks. admittedly, I got VERY lucky with my Broodlord surviving the assault, but it was a calculated risk, and I figured that even if the BL died, my guns were of equal range. allowing my units to get the charge gave me an Init 4 over his Init 2, which was more than a little handy.

Game 2: 1750 Vs. Dark Eldar.

This player is also an excellent player and we had one of the best games I've played in a long, long time. Cheers, mate!

amusing anecdotes: every time I tried to roll my 6+ invulnerable saves, I got 1s. every, single, time. everytime he had to roll a difficult terrain test, he couldn't get above a 3 (except once).

Notes:
his list (below) is an unofficial Coven list. he wanted to try it out, and I knew that if we played, I'd have a great time, so I allowed it.

My list:
Devil flyrant
BL+6x Retinue (4+ saves all around and ScytheTalons on the retinue)
2x Lictors (Which I TOTALLY forgot about ALL FREEKING GAME.. not that they would have made a dramatic difference)
16x Tgaunts +Str
16x Tgaunts +Str
16x Devgaunts +Str
8x Genestealers +Sv
8x Genestealers +Sv
1x Soopa Devilfex (Spinebanks, scythe tail, +Sv, +w, +Init, Tusks, Toxic miasma)
3x Zoanthropes, Warp Blast, Synapse

Mission: Twilight (from the RTT mission pack, found here: Linky Link)

his list:
Haemonculi + 8x Grotesques on raider
Haemonculi + 8x Grotesques on raider
Haemonculi
Haemonculi
Haemonculi (all are armed with Evil Flamer Thing [of doom], combat drugs and scissorhands)
Warrior squad 2x Dark Lances
8x Slaver squad on raider with Sybarite
8x Slaver squad on raider with Sybarite
10x Kroot Carnivore + eviscerator
1x Talos
2x Ravagers(?) (the thick cardboard skimmers with 3 guns)
~Haemons consisted of HQ and Elite slots (I think~ lol). we discussed the details of how the list is not legal, but should be, as legal as a witch coven.

Set up as per mission rules and map below.

we started out with preliminary bombardment and I killed his Talos. preliminary bombardment killed 3 from genestealer 2.
he won first turn.

Turn 1
~he moves forward with his skimmers, and threw out a couple shots, putting a wound on the middle zoanthrope, a wound on the Devilfex and a shocking 5 wounds on the broodlord + retinue (I remove the broodlord and 2 stealers) he unloads Raider 1 and Slaver 1.
~My turn finds my flyrant lining up on his kroot, the devilfex and other units moving forward on the right. on the left, the broodlord and Stealer 1 unit move up to assault, and the zoey gains LOS on some evil skimmers. in the middle, Tgaunt 1 and Devgaunts get in each others way as I try to stay out of the dangerous lava. Shooting ensues and I put down all but 4 of the kroot (they flee), Raider 1 (killing a couple of grotesques), Raider 2 (killing several grotesqes) Slaver 1, and then subsequently shooting the survivors of Slaver 1 with Devgaunts (killing a LOT of models there). All the Genestealers gain a first turn assault on the Haemons and Grotesques..
...silly me... he rolls 3 dice for combat drugs (go first, extra attack and reroll hits) and kills very nearly every single one of my genestealers. on the left, only 4 genestealers survive. they kill a couple grotesques and some of the slaver squad. the sheer brutality of the battle shocks even me (not used to seeing all my genestealers fall in a single round)

Turn 2
~he moves the Haemons and grotesques up from the wrecked raider.. (NOTE: do NOT assault into wreckage unless you are SURE you're going to win. assaulting the Haemons from Raider 2 freed them from the wreckage, and he killed them. they were now free to move on his turn). His Ravager 2 tried additional shooting and didn't get very far. one of the the Haemons separates from his squad, and uses a flamer on my poor Tgaunt squad 2, killing all but 3. they fell back towards the flyrant. on the left, he killed off the rest of the genestealers, and his empty Slaver 1 skimmer flew off with my left most zoanthrope!!

~my turn allows me to take revenge on Slaver 1, blasting it with the
warp blast from the middle Zoanthrope. the Gaunts moved up and prepared to receive a charge from the haemons and the grotesques. however, I was able to target some of them and kill off one Haemon in shooting. On the right, my Carnifex blasts the grotesqes and the 3 remaining Tgaunts kills off the lone Haemon.
Flyrant moves up and blasts the ravager into worm-infested fancy-looking heavy cardboard. from there the Flyrant hides in some rocks and plays peek-a-boo to find his next victim...

mind you, at this point, he's got:
3 Haemons on the left,
1 squad of grotesques,
1 ravager
1 squad of warriors with 2 dark lances. he's got an Excellent defensive line, but very little light arms to mitigate the oncoming horde...

I've got:
Devilfex with 3 wounds
Flyrant with 4 wounds
2 zoanthropes
about 16x devgaunts
about 16x tgaunts
I'm worried, because he's still got a ton of shooting and I've got to assault the grotesques and haemons (remember, they have flamers)

Turn 3
~He moves his Haemons up, getting miserable terrain rolls and his flamers only roast a few gaunts (whew!) his Ravager puts down my other zoanthrope, his warriors put a wound on the flyrant.
then he agonizes over whether to assault a haemon into the gaunts. I pray he doesn't (which would leave me free to act on my turn), and he finally decides against it. he completes his move and I breathe a sigh of relief.
~My gaunts finish moving up and open fire on the Haemon/grotesques, killing off all of the haemons. the Flyrant blasts the Darklance warriors into quivering gobbets of flesh and moves up. the Carnifex moves up as well. The gaunts assault through the terrain, and even though they strike last, I chase down the grotesques and finish them off.

Turn 4, we decide it's over and declare me the victor.

I have to say again, this was by far the most fun game I've had in a very long time. my opponent was smart, saavy and a great guy to play against. being an experimental list, it was really interesting to see how it all worked together.

Notes:
1. do NOT assault haemonculi with genestealers. it's... painful.
2. SHOOT THEM instead.
3. and shoot everything else while you're at it.
4. don't forget to shoot everything.
5. twice.
6. in the head. (only then you can eat it)
7. I may have missed a couple moves or shots in this report, but you get the general gist.
8. battles against Dark Eldar are painful and brutal. expect a 1st turn assault or, at the very least, the ability to assault on turn 1. prepare a tiered defense, and don't underestimate the value of Str 3 devourers against them. Str 6 Devilfexi are also extremely valuable for killing grotesques.

anyway. here's a shot of the board on the final turn.

hope you enjoy!
Special thanks go to KwiKwag of Tau Online (he was the Dark Eldar player) for being such a great sport and the use of his camera!!
Old 12 Jun 2007, 00:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha
Default Re: [Batrep]: 1000 orks and 1750 Dark Eldar

Wow, another awesome report striogi! Those battles sounded fun, and the lava board is a cool idea.

Great work! +1
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 12:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Very nice. The tips for fighting Dark Eldar are sure to be helpful if the hobbyshop I'll be visisting soon has those Dark Kin.

Is that a T-Shirt with the logo of the Confederacy of Independent Systems? :shifty:
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 16:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the report striogi and the game! We definitely had fun and I cant even remember the game I had before it so you know I had fun too.

Yes, shooting is the bane of DE as is anything with a template - I think that pretty covers most of your army quite well. As for mine it was definitely an "experimental" list and in no way would I play this in a tournament without more play testing.

Your strategies are sound and dont think for a minute that it had anything do with my bad luck - you produced the conditions that made me fail and your battle plan nailed the victory down.

Congrats on the win and the excellent battle report!

Perhaps next time I will play my tourny list but snagging slaves in the snares is almost worth experimenting with.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 16:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwi'Kwag
Perhaps next time I will play my tourny list but snagging slaves in the snares is almost worth experimenting with.
I couldn't believe how I rolled a pair of ones on that Zoanthropes armor save.. of course it was well worth it to imagine a pissed off zoanthrope hanging in chains trying to climb up at the vehicle, while the drivers are frantically trying to gain enough altitude to release the chains...

anyway, those enslaving chains are something well worth thinking about! consider if you had overflown one of the gaunt squads with both slavers...2-12 gaunts hit with them only able to make a 6+ armor save? brutal!

~strange. I recall reading the entry in your codex, but I can't find it in my copy. in fact, I find no vehicle upgrades available whatsoever...
Old 12 Jun 2007, 19:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by striogi
~strange. I recall reading the entry in your codex, but I can't find it in my copy. in fact, I find no vehicle upgrades available whatsoever...
They aren't in the old codex. I think they may be on the UK GW site. Lemme check. OK, here.

Anyways, that list looks interesting. I'm assuming the slaver squads were
something like a raider with snares, maybe a xenospasm or terrorfex, some special weapons (blaster and SC) and a horrorfex. I use a similar composition on my raiders sometimes and I found the pinning to be great when it can work, but against 'nids it becomes nigh impossible to make useful.

EmblazonedMauveGearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 23:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmblazonedMauveGearbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by striogi
They aren't in the old codex. I think they may be on the UK GW site. Lemme check. OK, here.

Anyways, that list looks interesting. I'm assuming the slaver squads were
something like a raider with snares, maybe a xenospasm or terrorfex, some special weapons (blaster and SC) and a horrorfex. I use a similar composition on my raiders sometimes and I found the pinning to be great when it can work, but against 'nids it becomes nigh impossible to make useful.
Yes, the vehicle upgrades are not in the first print codex but I think that link leads you to the DE reference pdf and they are on there.

The slavers squad is a fluffy creation I think GW wanted DE to be. With the horrorfex and xeno/or terrorfex I have a couple chances to pin but against the synapse its useless. I did have alot of points that were not useful against nids so I cant be accused of tailoring my lists They did however lay down some good firepower to kill the Broodlord and most of his retinue so they did alright and accomplished a snared zoanthingy.

I really enjoy playing a "themed" army even if it means I will most likely lose - I am enamored with the Haemoculi and the slaver concept.