Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500p Battle Report vs. Black Templar
Closed Thread
Old 28 Sep 2006, 22:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default 1500p Battle Report vs. Black Templar

Once again, I faced my friend in a 1500p battle.
His Templars vs. my Guard.
This was a great opportuity to try out my new tournament list.

Templars:
Marshal with pw, bp
Emperors Champion
Three squads of crusaders in rhinos, all tooled for CC.
Venerable Lascannon dreadnought
Predator Destructor
Land Raider Crusader filled with crusaders, also CC tooled
Landspeeder with m.melta (deep strike)

My tournament list:
"Ivan Stukhovs Iron Grenadiers"
HQ
Command Squad power weapon, plasma pistol, frags, 4xguardsmen with ccw
71p
Fire Support Squad 3xheavy bolters
Anti-tank Support Squad 3xmissile launchers
Special Weapon Squad 2xgrenade launchers, demo charge
Special Weapon Squad 2xflamers, demo charge

ELITE
Hardened Veteransx10 3xplasma
TROOPS
Command Squad JO, bolter, autocannon, surveyor
Infantry Squad las/plas
Infantry Squad las/plas
Armored Fist Squad las/plas, Chimera, multilaser, heavy bolter, smoke

FAST ATTACK
Hellhound
Hellhound

HEAVY SUPPORT
Leman Russ Battletank 3xheavybolters, smoke, extra armor
Leman Russ Demolisher, lascannon, plasmacannons, smoke, extra armor

Total 1500p

The table was set in urban area.
We rolled for corners, and my friend got to choose first. He chose the corner with
more than enough cover for all his vehicles.
I than got the one with almost no cover, and few openings in the field providing me with the sorely needed LOS of my Guard.
The deployment was difficult due to my amount of armor blocking the LOS to my infantry squads, and the tight packing in the restrictive deployment zone. The veterans infiltrated out on the far left flank to prevent an assault where my line was weakest.

Adding insult to injury, he also won the roll for first turn.

Templar 1.
Every vehicle rushed full speed ahead, rhinos and land raider on the right flank, the dreadnought and predator moved on the left, into firing position.
Then catastrophy occured. The dreadnought seared his lasbeams through my flanking-chimera, destroying it. The guardsmen inside exited unharmed, but blocked the rest of the poor LOS I already had.
Further, the predator managed to blast off the inferno cannon on the Hellhound in the right flank.

Guard 1.
Every individual squad in my force had to me redeployed, so no heavy shots, at all for my infantry. Oh the ignominy! The missile launchers went onto the left flank, and managed to get in sight of the predator. The heavy-bolters ran further into the right flank, opening for my Russes and Hellhounds to open the LOS, and get into better firing positions.
The Battletank thundered with his battlecannon, towards the tight packed enemy transports, scattered and accidently blew up the homes of some furry woodland creatures. The lascannon on the Demolisher fired as well, harming even more of the areas wildlife. The hellhound was then the only thing in range, with strong enough weapons to harm the opposition. I fired on the only thing I could, the dreadnought. The Guardsman firing the infernocannon laughing hystercally, with pyromanical glee as he fired on the ancient one. I hit, and I rolled a six to penetrate. YES! Glancing hit. And then I rolled another six. YES! I yelled again, and then remembered that this was a Venerable dreadnought.
My friend smiled, and rerolled the damage dice. A one...
Great, I had achived nothing, but getting into some slightly better firing positions, but due to the wrecks blocking my sight, my middle field troops was laid dangerously bare.

Templar 2.
Continuous rush of transports towards my poorly defended lines. Due to my desperate movement, the Predator had now my poor Demolisher in his sights. A cannonade of sound a colour, and left my prided tank in a state of debris and molten slag.

Guard 2.
Finally! I had now my first turn with the ability to shoot. My hellhounds rushed ahead into good firing-positions, the rest of the force locked and loaded.
The hellhound on the left flank fired its only remaining weapon, it's heavy-bolter.
Glancing the armour of a rhino, stunning it. The other, on the right flank, achived absolutely nothing.
But then! A surge of good fortune washed over the crew of the Battletank "Dictato". The battlecannon roared and the shell fell right on top of the middle rhino. Penetrating hit! Resolve to the "ORDANANCE PENETRATING CHART!" I rolled a blessed SIX, vehicle annihilated. Boom, a grand explotion, and all that was left of the Emperors Finest was a burning crater.
Further fire from the infantry was ineffective. The few wepons that hit, failed to even glance. And the missile launchers fell half an inch short. Curses!

Templar 3.
A bit miffed of losing a full squad in one go, my friend continued his rush of transports. Finally close enough to disembark, and unleash Hell upon my troopers.
The situation lightened up a bit with some sexual innuendo through the battlecry of "Get ready to be Powerfisted!" *snicker*
The Speeder arrived, but scattered way out of position, and ended up behind my right flank. The Dread continued to wreak havoc from his position, and blew my right flank Hellhound into tiny fragments. The Predator managed a similar result on the Left flank hellhound. The Land Raider Crusader was now in range, and fired everything possible, taking two men out of the squad of heavy-bolters.
The whole situation now looked terrible.

Guard 3.
Well, as I play guard, the moving phases are relatively small. The squads with demo-charges moved forward as human shields. So over to the shooting phase.
I has finally a lot of targets. Thirty crusaders aching to get into melee.
Lascannons, plasmaguns and lasrifles opened fire on the wall of adamantine armour, taking a deadly toll. Six marines fell to the fire of three squads of infantry. Then the heavy-bolters let it rip. Nine shots, seven wounds, four casualties. Great job. The missile launchers had remained in position, but with little else to shoot at, they managed to fire one single missile at the speeder. Hit, penetrate and explode. The Russ fired it's battlecannon once more, and scattered into a rhino, which bit the dust.
Junior Officer Svensson aimed his new weapon, a bolter looted from the last battle with the Astartes, and send a single shell into the side armor of a rhino. His squad cheered greatly as the machine rumbled to a coughing stop.
Now things really looked grim, as the templars ran forwards "4", to revenge their fallen brothers.

Templar 4.
The remaining 20 crusaders moved full speed ahead. The crusader fired a fussiliade of shells with it's assault cannons at my Battletank. Rending it to a withered metal husk. The dreadnought fired it's lascannon once again, and a mere guardsman sizzled away.

It had been a relaxing day in the field for Veteran Jonathan Bell. Being deployed so far on the flank, far from the actual action, it was relaxing to sit in the ruins of the Administorum, sipping tea and playing Regiside with his fellow veterans. Sargeant Hill had just moved his assasin a bit to close to his governor, and he was hatching out a good countermove. Of course! He said out loud, reaching to intercept with his bodyguard. Then a bright beam tore through the western wall, and burned Jonathan to a crisp within the second. Sargeant Hill looked down from his side of the table, onto the remains of Bell and said "we call it a draw." He then turend aroun, peering through the hole in the wall. "Would you look at that! It's a Predator Tank!"

The crusaders tried to charge, but fell an inch short.

Guard 4.
Now thing looked nicer. Two demo-charges in range, and a lot of marines in rapid fire range. The two suicide squads threw their demolition-charges forward, but scattering way off into the ruins. There was a reason those men were assigned to the suicide squads... At least they managed to drop a marine with combined flamer/grenade launcher fire.
The Commander, Ivan Stukhov, bellowed "FIRE AT WILL!" And every gun in the force let loose. Two lascannons tore at the Land Raider, and managed to hit the fuel-cells, engulfing the tank in a plume of fire. The missile launchers sent their missiles at the Dreadnought, and despite the re-roll, blasting it to Kingdom Come.
Heavy-bolters did their jobs well. Nine hits, seven wounds, five casualties. Including the Marshal. Great work. The autocannon managed to destroy the remaining rhino, preventing it from tank shocking me.
Now, the only thing to worry about, was the imminent charge of the Champion.
"FIX BAYONETS!"

Templar 5.
The Predator continued to shoot up the veterans in cover. Killing another with it's autocannon.
Then, another catastrophy. The remaining marines, including the Champion, tore into the closest infantry squad in a horrible charge, managing to take both special weapon squads and an infantry squad into multiple combats. And then, against all probability, slaughtering eleven, braking them and running them down. Then consolidated into another infantry squad.

Guard 5.
Well, I had a lot of bodies, but the Champion is tough with it's 2+ save, and his retinue was just as bad. I remained stationary with my two remaining infantry squads, firing lascannons at the Predator, so far away. But despite range, and guardsmen's crappy aim, it was thrown into oblivion.
But then, assault.
I had the victory surely at hand. But at what cost?
Ivan Stukhov had gotten enough of the Champion tearing through his ranks, and raged towards the mighty warrior. To all surprise, the Champion managed to miss with every stroke, and gave Ivan the opportunity he needed. Three blows hit home, and one managed to wound. The remainig marines threw five guardsmen to the ground, but three marines were impaled by the fierce bayonet charges.
The combat slowed to a standstill.

Templar 6.
With nothing more on the field, it was Honour or Death. The Champion surged forward, striking Ivan Stukhov unconcious with the hilt of his Black Sword.
Shocked and angered the remaining guardsmen in battle threw themselves at their murderous opponents. Wiping them to a man. But this remaining man was not to be trifled with, as he broke them and ran them down. But did not manage to consolidate close enough to another melee.

Guard 6.
With nothing else in combat, and only one enemy soldier left in the open , it was time to have revenge on the Black Clad Knight.
A fussiliade of gunfire, from nigh every weapon in the field, tore the Emperors Champion to ribbons, blowing his life to the wind.
An expensive victory. But a victory nonetheless.

This was one of the greatest battles I have had in quite a while.
I see nothing to change on my list to now, but I shall continue playtesting it.
The main failure I did, was to forfeit my LOS on turn one, by deploying my vehicles in front of my infantry. When facing an assault-based opponed, with as much speed as this, I'll need every shot available. The veterans I placed on the right flank was a plain stupid thing to do. They did not get to fire a shot the entire game, and only took a couple of casualties. NO TEA AND MEDALS FOR YOU!
The true men of the match, I would assume was the Heavy-Bolter Squad. Even though losing almost half the squad, it took out eight marines alone, not including both HQ choices. They bought back their point-cost more than tri-fold.
That the demo-charges failed to do anything contributed to the problems of getting charged. And the early fall of my vehicles was absolutely not taken into account of blocking my LOS further.
I could, of course, blame it on that the terrain was in my disfavor. But it would be to take an easy way out.
Though this battle, I truly learned one important thing.
"KEEP THE BLOODY VEHICLES BEHIND THE INFANTRY DAMMIT!"
Old 28 Sep 2006, 23:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 1500p Battle Report vs. Black Templar

Really nice battle report Chton, nice to see another victory for the good guys!

I really like your list, too.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 01:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

yes, very nice list, and even nicer battle report! Congrats on the victory!
Old 29 Sep 2006, 23:27   #4 (permalink)
n0d
Kroot Warrior

In your round 3 your infantry destroyed 6 marines and your heavy bolters another 4. Were those in a single unit or in different units and what were the affects of righteous zeal on those unit? I am curious because you say later on, that the crusaders were an inch short on their charge. I'm wondering what affect RZ had on this or if it was forgotten. Also, the Marshall and EC would have given crusader seals to any units they had joined. I am curious, did the crusaders in the LRC ever make it to your infantry line? Because, they can assault out of it. Were the BT casualties in your round 4 from engaged units or were they still trying to get into HTH? Also, you mentioned some of the things you could have done better: the LOS issue, better deployment, and the under-utilization of your veteran unit. What did you think the BT players mistakes were? [Besides going up against this many heavy bolters!]
Old 30 Sep 2006, 00:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

How many sixes, between the two of you do you think you rolled? Seems like a bunch.

What was the size of the board? You figure by round three, he has moved at least 48 inches from his side of the board. You are probably around 12 inches from the side of your board by then....
then he starts getting RZ rolls from losses which will on average be higher than 3 inches because of the seals. So at that point, we can safely assume he is moving 10 inches around on foot. so 30 more inches till round 6.... 78 inches + your (conservative estimate) 12 inches from the side of the board is roughly 90 inches. I am just curious how big a board this was? By round 4 it sounds like your getting close combat, so it cant be that big.

I am also confused about the BT deaths (Marines). Does it look something like this (assuming 40 Marines):
Round BT Marine Losses Running Total
1 0 40
2 10 30
3 10 20
4 6 14
5 3 11
6 11 0
Old 30 Sep 2006, 08:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thank you for your questions. You're pointing out some quite important factors here.
The report is written from my memory, so anturally a couple of factors got lost on the way.
About the movement first.
The board was about 70x70 inches large, and with the amount of ruins, rubble, difficult terrain etc. My opponent had to spend some movement zig-zagging around said terrain.

Then over to the RZ and the "missing Crusader squad."
Yes, the righteous zeal rule was not forgotten. My friend moved forward quite well. But I had also forgotten to mention an important point here. Just before my lines were charged, the Crusaders broke due to fire, and fled x inches back. And had to track back that range as well, before charging.
The missing Crusaders however, I could not remember myself, so I spoke with my friend. He remembered it quite well.
The rhino was hit by a krak grenade from my special weapon team. And due to a penetrating hit and destroyed result, and the rhino's last move being 12", five crusaders died in the wreck.
The BT casualties not mentioned died, most likely, of random lasgun-fire.

I hope this cleared some questions out.
If there is anything you are wondering about, just ask.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 16:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch'ton
Thank you for your questions. You're pointing out some quite important factors here.
The report is written from my memory, so anturally a couple of factors got lost on the way.
About the movement first.
The board was about 70x70 inches large, and with the amount of ruins, rubble, difficult terrain etc. My opponent had to spend some movement zig-zagging around said terrain.

Then over to the RZ and the "missing Crusader squad."
Yes, the righteous zeal rule was not forgotten. My friend moved forward quite well. But I had also forgotten to mention an important point here. Just before my lines were charged, the Crusaders broke due to fire, and fled x inches back. And had to track back that range as well, before charging.
The missing Crusaders however, I could not remember myself, so I spoke with my friend. He remembered it quite well.
The rhino was hit by a krak grenade from my special weapon team. And due to a penetrating hit and destroyed result, and the rhino's last move being 12", five crusaders died in the wreck.
The BT casualties not mentioned died, most likely, of random lasgun-fire.

I hope this cleared some questions out.
If there is anything you are wondering about, just ask.
Thanks for the clarification. I am interested in this battle report as it is a battle I will be facing often. My brother has BT and I run IG. We will both be running on a very urban layout. My board is 8X4. This site has pictures of a board like mine (4X4):
http://www.67tharmouredrifles.net/67...ifles/id4.html
Old 30 Sep 2006, 16:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

As I fight often against BT as well.
I'd recommend a few things for you.
In cityfights/urban areas, it is hard to get a shot at the opponent.
It is a lot of bottlenecks, and little LOS (especially with a board as in your link).
I'd take Basilisks. I don't have any myself, I'm a Russ kind of guy. The indirect fire gives you the chance to hit something, even without LOS.
That goes for mortars as well.

But when it comes to HQ. Minimize it. The Emperors Champion has a very annoying
rule, that makes the Champ and any Independant char. in a squad being in assault, have to duel it out between themselves. And with higher initiative and instakill weapon against guard, you are sure to loose.
I plan some melee veterans for the future. A hidden powerfist in a cheap squad is dangerous for anyone.

As I have experienced before, Heavy-bolter teams are great in urban areas.
They are manouverable and packs a hard punch with good range.

Also, some deepstriking stormtroopers with meltas works wonders. Especially when your opponent has those mean AT weapons in the back of the field, taking pot shots at you.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 16:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I also (heavily) use allied Witch Hunters (Sisters Mostly) and was thinking of using a few squads with heavy flamers/flamers and some faith points . I just got ahold of a demolisher and a basilisk for my birthday, so I am excited to get the flash trimmed and everything glued.
Old 01 Oct 2006, 03:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Bolters can't hurt a rhino's side armour. In addition, did the landspeeder move over 6 inches? If so, you could not have penetrated it.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Closed Thread