Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000 point Tau vs Grey Knights
Old 23 Dec 2011, 06:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 1000 point Tau vs Grey Knights

I'm going on vacation for the next week so I probably wont be available to be online. As my Christmas gift to you guys while I'm away, here's my latest battle report of me getting absolutely slaughtered by my friend.

I have been away from home for over a month due to exams and papers at university and have really missed being able to play 40K. Naturally the first thing I did when I got home was phone up a good friend of mine, Simon, and invited him over for a match. We sat around for a bit, got caught up, ordered food (the reason the board is on the floor rather than the table), and then got down to business. It was already getting late, so we decided on 1000 points aside for a nice quick match. I played my Tau, and he borrowed my Grey Knights.

Tau List:
Shas'El
-plasma rifle
-fusion blaster
-TA
-HWMT
-HWDC
-2 shield drones
3 XV8 'Helios' Battlesuits
-3 plasma rifles
-3 fusion blasters
-3 multitrackers
2 XV8 'Deathrain+' Battlesuits
-2 TL-Missile pods
-2 TAs
2 XV8 'Deathrain+' Battlesuits
-2 TL-Missile pods
-2 TAs
6 firewarriors
Devilfish
-multitracker
-disruption pod
6 firewarriors
Devilfish
-multitracker
-disruption pod
Hammerhead
-railgun
-burst cannons
-multitracker
-disruption pod

Grey Knight List:
Crowe
Purifiers
-2 psycannons
-psybolt ammunition
-MC Daemon hammer
Purifiers
-2 psycannons
-psybolt ammunition
-MC Daemon hammer
Dreadnought
-2 TL autocannons
-psybolt ammunition
Dreadnought
-2 TL autocannons
-psybolt ammunition

Mission: kill points
Deployment: table quarters

Pregame thoughts:
Michael (that’s me): Really excited to be playing again! I don’t really know what to expect out of Simon’s list. I think leaving the transports out at this point level was a really nice move and I like the list a lot. The board is small enough he’ll be in range pretty much from go, and the amount of high strength firepower he’s packing worries me. I’ll try to keep my suits completely out of sight behind some of the larger cover and vehicles and avoid being autokilled by those nasty dreads. Hopefully between the two deathrain+ teams I’ll be able to take those out fast. He did bring Crowe, so I’ll hopefully get a quick kill point out of him… but the rest is going to be tough, especially if he gets entrenched in some solid cover.
Simon: Mike and I had actually been talking my list over for a while now. On a 4 by 4 or even 6 by 4 board, chances are that within one movement phase your units will be in range to shoot something… and since Grey Knights are a shooty army and didn’t have a need to rush up and be ‘in your face’ all the time, I really couldn’t see a reason why I shouldn’t at east try it. Mike uses this 1000 point list a lot, so I think I know what to expect. Lots of mobility, decent anti-transport, cover saves that make even 5th edition blush (I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of his units out of cover). Without any transports to pop and slow me down I think Mike’s going to want to close in on me with those helios right away and go for the kill, so I’ve tried to give myself a big empty no mans zone in the middle of the field when placing terrain so those suits won’t have much luck crossing that. The plan for the game is to keep the helios out of reach while pummeling his tanks with the equivalent of 4 heavy weapon teams! I think I’ve got him outgunned.

Deployment:

I deployed first, keeping all of my suits tucked in behind transports and terrain incase Simon stole the initiative. I put the helios suits behind devilfish and got ready to push forward into no man’s land using the fish as cover. Simon deployed his units in a very long line to avoid being pummeled by submunition shots from the hammerhead. By one unit behind the other he essentially made himself a screen meaning I’d have to shoot through one layer before I shot through the other. Challenge accepted. He failed to seize the initiative, and the game began!

Turn 1:
Tau:

Losing my nerve a bit about moving my devilfish within 12 inches of those psycannons, I shuffled my units around a bit so that everybody could see something worth shooting, and opened up a can of what had to be some of my best rolls all year! Every single one of my deathrains hit and glanced/penetrated their target dreadnoughts. Even my hammerhead scored a penetrating hit. Unfortunately apparently it was Simon’s lucky day too, since he then rolled 8 4+ cover saves only taking a single crew stunned result. The same cannot be said for his front line of purifiers.

Surprisingly, it was the 10 S5 devilfish shots that did it. Shame they were fearless and didn’t run away… I slipped my suits back in behind the best cover available and awaited the return fire.
Grey Knights:

And return fire there was… the only thing that moved was Crowe I’m not sure what Simon was thinking there… maybe putting pressure on me to take away firepower directed at his knights? When I asked about it Simon’s only comment “Bet you five dollars he lives to see combat.”

Whatever the case he ran him across the board towards my force. And then there was the return fire. Having not moved, the psycannons were able to fire on their heavy setting. And between their combined 16 shots, they chewed through a devilfish with 3 weapon destroyed results, wrecking it. The non-stunned dreadnought then pulverized the other fish into the ground.

Turn 2:
Tau:

I started shifting my hammerhead over in the hopes of getting a better shot at the dreadnoughts. And preparing to give myself cover for my Shas’el to close in behind. Seeing my opportunity to nab a Crowe kill point, I pounced on him with the helios, getting into rapid fire range… rolled average… and then watched in amazement as Crowe stood up out of the smoking plasma crater and dusted off his iron-halo as though nothing had even happened. My deathrains and hammerhead continued to hammer the dreadnoughts, but failed to deal any damage again thanks to the 4+ cover saves. Not a great turn… so a slunk my suits back into hiding.
Grey Knights:

Hammerhead is there… hammerhead is gone. Battlesuits are there… battlesuits are gone. Like a terrifying magic trick one dread took out the hammerhead while the other took out the helios elites, killing 2 of them and having the last one flee off the board. The purifiers then shot up the fire warriors clearing them out of the devilfish rubble.

Turn 3:
Tau:

My Shas’el and deathrains headed for heavy cover, not wanting to be finished off by the autocannons on the next turn. I finally knocked one of the autocannons off a dread… not a game changing result but a start.

Crowe was killed in a silly little burst of firewarrior firepower. Of the 12 shots only 2 hit, then proceeded to wound… and then killed Crowe. It made me laugh.
Grey Knights:

Unable to see much, Simon sent out a dread to snipe my one deathrain unit, while the other (which could just see the edge of one suits arm) sniped the other with the help of the purifier psycannons to finish the job. That unit of weakened purifier also moved into a crater to finally give them a cover save.

Turn 4:

The clock stuck midnight and Simon said he should get going. I conceded defeat and we packed up.
Victory Grey Knights! 7-1 kill points.

Post Game Thoughts:
Michael: Wow that was a lot of shooting. Unless the unit was entirely hidden behind terrain it was as good as dead. Next time I’ll definitely have to be more careful about tucking my battlesuits in behind cover and doing something with my devilfish. I was a little surprised that Simon didn’t take more advantage of the cover himself for his purifier squads since his dreads were loving it, but it seemed to have worked out well for him. Maybe being a little more aggressive with the devilfish and helios might have changed the way the battle went? Strangely enough the MVP for the game has to go to the devilfish and firewarriors… never thought I’d say that. Their 22 shots were the only ones that caused any real damage at all over the course of the entire game. LVP would either be the hammerhead or the deathrains. Against AV12 deathrains start to struggle to crack the armour, and without any real hordes or even easy targets to subminition, the hammerhead isn’t fully living up to its potential.
Simon: A well fought match. The Tau really struggled under all that high strength incoming fire. Weight of fire definitely threw a wrench in Mike’s usual mobile cover strategy. The MVP for this game is a tossup between those psycannon purifiers and the dreads. Each was easily as effective as a long fang squad on its own. I’m going to buy Mike more psycannons and dreads for Christmas (so I can steal them when I come over)! LVP… Crowe… but I saw that coming from the get go and did kind of create a self fulfilling prophecy. He’s really just the purifier tax. Glad he died! That will show him to be so stuck up and snobbish, not letting anyone join his squad. Really enjoyable game, home to have a rematch really soon.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote