Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Volcanic Eruption - photography on the 15th April.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 18:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu
Default Volcanic Eruption - photography on the 15th April.

Hi guys, unless you've been living in a box since yesterday, you might've noticed that there has been a Volcanic Eruption in Southern Iceland.

This has had a major effect on travel in the UK. For example, UK airspace is closed.

But, what lots of people are excited about is the prospect of some lovely sunsets tonight and sunrise tomorrow.

This is because the volcanic cloud is made of ash, glass and rock.

The ash has the effect of dimming the light from the sun, the glass has the prismatic effect of refracting the sunlight into the spectrum of colours, allowing for some beautiful reds and oranges.

Basically, all of you guys in the UK (especially Northern England and Scotland) and other parts of Northern Europe should get your cameras out and try and get some nice shots of the sunset (and maybe even the sunrise tomorrow morning if you're up that early), so the gauntlet has been thrown down.

Sunset is at 20:01 GMT, so make sure you're ready!

Thanks

- LordZanuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 22:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Volcanic Eruption - photography on the 15th April.

It was somewhat of a let down in London...
It was a sunset, but we normally get a decent one from our house if the weather is right... didn't look any different. Boo hiss.

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 22:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith

This makes me annoyed that I was working during sunset tonight :'(

And I'm too tired to get up at sunrise.

I hope someone gets a good one
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2010, 23:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I might be up at sunrise as I will have to wake up with my baby boy tomorrow... hopefully it's better than the sunset!

[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Old 18 Apr 2010, 06:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

While not a sunrise/sunset picture, I thought this one from the Huffington Post looked really cool and almost fake.

scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 07:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ALMOST fake? I think that's a very clear fake. A composite of at least 2 and probably 3 or more images.

It is a cool image, but there's no way it's real.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 09:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
ALMOST fake? I think that's a very clear fake. A composite of at least 2 and probably 3 or more images.

No reason why it should be fake...

Old 18 Apr 2010, 09:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson

Do explain.

Volcanic eruption causes snow and ice to unsettle causing the white cloud on the bottom left side, the ash and fire rising from the volcano is an obvious, and im sure genmotty can explain the cause of the lightning, but there is no reason to call it a fake.

Honestly, mother nature does some spectacular things. Just because it is awe-inspiring doesnt mean it is fake.
Old 18 Apr 2010, 09:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Here is the text that was under the picture, "Zoom on lightning caused by electrical discharge within volcanic ash column, Eyjafjallajökull, Iceland". Here is a link to the article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dk-mat..._b_541755.html
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2010, 10:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Look at it with a critical eye.

Look at the smoke/ash cloud that covers the majority of the picture and you'll see that it's very clearly lit from the left side. Look at the mountain beneath it, and you'll see that the lighting is very uniform. Actually, there is a tiny bit of shadow from one of the rock ridges, but it's not in the right direction and it's not nearly as sharp as the lighting on the cloud.

The main lightning bolt is sticking through the cloud a tiny bit, which just doesn't happen. Lighting like that is seen at a distance.

There are sparkles more or less randomly through the ash plume, which I could almost believe, but also outside it which doesn't make any sense to me.

The biggest one is the lightning. I've photographed lightning a few times (from a discrete distance and/or shelter, of course), and you do NOT get a shot like that! No human or camera can react quickly enough to open the shutter when the lightning bolt appears, so all you can do is point the camera in the direction of the lighting, open the lens, and hope you get lucky. While it is possible to get impressive shots, you can't do so without obviously burning out any other light sources in the area. More than anything else, those lightning bolts are composited in from another image.

It's nice work, when viewed as art, but it is not a representation of the actual event. How long before "footage" appears of the guy in the black cap (See "Tourist of Death" or "WTC Tourist") shows up with the volcano?

EDIT: OK, I see the original article (couldn't find it when I started writing this), but just because it's captioned as real doesn't mean it is. If it was a zoom, show me the raw image that it was zoomed from! Yes, that's rhetorical argument; I don't expect anyone here to have access to such things. I suppose it's theoretically possible that this is an actual image, but I would bet a respectable amount of money that it's not.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote