Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Request] Orky Army List Background
Old 28 Dec 2008, 22:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default [Request] Orky Army List Background

Alright, maybe a little bit of information:

I enjoy writing "proper" armylists - not just the army list itself, but also the layout: I usually write them on a computer, add a background, put proper FOC-symbols in front of the units, give the units names, and so on.

As long as I played Tau, it was easy (I have a large collection of pics and symbols), but with my recent switch to Orks, I'm facing a major problem: I don't have any art to fall back on, and I don't just want to use a simple picture from the Codex as a background.

So, what am I looking for?

Basically, some background for my army list, so black and white would be in order (I can change the intensity of the colors later on in Word). It should be about A4-size, to cover a whole sheet of paper. It doesn't actually have to include any pictures, it should just look... well, orky. Ramshakle, maybe some orky machinery, cogs and wheels... but also somehow setting a frame for an army list or text... it's difficult to describe, but I guess you get the idea...

I'd use the background not just for the army list itself, but also for the accompanying fluff text and unit descriptions (which you can find here: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=75171.0), so nothing army-list specific should be in it - just an orky background.

I'd really appreciate your help in this, and thanks in advance.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2008, 00:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will
Default Re: [Request] Orky Army List Background

I understand what you're looking for. I'll sketch up a rough plan, you say if it needs tweaking, and I'll tweak it as necessary.

EDIT: Portrait or landscape? I'd assume portrait as it's an army list, so I'll do the rough plan in that, but I'll need to know for the actual thing.

EDIT 2: whipped up a concept sketch, as promised. Bear in mind this is just a 5 minute plan to make sure I've got the right idea - the end result would be far, far neater, and blacklined of course.

You approve?

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2008, 14:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hm, looks nice, but I had something more... tech in mind, like the inside of a Hulk or something - but then again, the drawing in the lower-right corner drew my attention... a "Mek Note-Pad"-approach with various sketches of weaponry and big, wheeled vehicles might work great, as well (and be in tune with the army fluff).

Don't bother with any symbols or headlines like "army list" - in the end, this background will be used for army lists and fluff alike.

Thanks for helping me out, looks like I owe you one

Cheers,
-Bone
Old 29 Dec 2008, 15:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmm...point taken. I was pretty pleased with the little "doodles" as well. I'll go with the "inside a hulk" thing - how about a Mek's workstation, like a chalkboard, with a few of those sketches and a completely blank space for the writing in the middle, then some machinery, pipes, looted bitz etc around the outside? I have a particular love of drawing Heath-Robinson-esque machinery, so this should be fun. ;D I'll whip up another concept sketch.

Old 29 Dec 2008, 16:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar_Will
Hmm...point taken. I was pretty pleased with the little "doodles" as well. I'll go with the "inside a hulk" thing - how about a Mek's workstation, like a chalkboard, with a few of those sketches and a completely blank space for the writing in the middle, then some machinery, pipes, looted bitz etc around the outside? I have a particular love of drawing Heath-Robinson-esque machinery, so this should be fun. ;D I'll whip up another concept sketch.
Sounds awesome, but completely blank in the middle isn't a necessity... if you to draw some armour plating there, I'm not gonna stop you

Thank you very much for your help, it is really appreciated!

Cheers,
-Bone
Old 29 Dec 2008, 23:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, here goes nothing - the rough sketch of Bonesaw's army list background, Mark 2.

I've gone for the "Mek's drawing board" look, as opposed to the more low-tech "signpost" look from the first version. I've left some parts, like the skull at the top and the dangling gear and others, but changed the rest. If you think the armour plating behind the words is too much, I'll tone it down in the real thing. The ringed parts at the bottom and top would be where extra detail like the doodle of the Warboss killing 'umies and the Mek's ideas for new blasty guns, his banna design etc, as well as bits like the mug and the looted Tau junk. As such, it would be best to avoid writing on those areas - please say if you don't feel I've given you enough room. I hope the winch contraption at the top is "more tech" enough for you. If you're fine with this, I'll get to work on the final version.

Old 30 Dec 2008, 08:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

This looks awesome - nothing to comment, really! I'm just worried that I might not have enough space at the top and at the bottom... maybe a bit less machinery at the top, and some at the sides? But I really like the style, and the details are amazing! Thank you for all the work you put into this!

Cheers,
-Bone
Old 30 Dec 2008, 09:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Righty-ho, more space it is - I'll scrap the Tau panel and shunt the top machinery up a bit, easily sorted. I'm just starting on your final version now. I have my GCSE mocks to revise for, but I'll try and get it done ASAP - any particular time you want it done for?

Old 30 Dec 2008, 09:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

No preferred time... would be rude to pile work on you and then rush you along, now, would it?

Take as much time as you need ;D

Cheers and thank you,
-Bone
Old 03 Jan 2009, 00:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

All done! ;D

Karma'd for the good work - Silk