Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Tau, 1000 army list.
Old 12 May 2015, 19:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New to Tau, 1000 army list.

Hello all, old Necron player here who recently fell in love with Tau. I have managed to get some models now and I wonder how I should build my first 1000 pts list so I can get a feel how my blue men works gameplay wise.

The models I have right now are:

Commander
Cadre Fireblade
2x Riptide (both fully magnetised)
3x Stealth Suits
9x Crisis Suits (all magnetised aswell)
20x Fire Warriors
1x Pirhana
1x Devilfish
1x Hammerhead
And a shitloads of drones.

I just need some general tips on to build a decent list.
Old 12 May 2015, 21:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hi there, and welcome to the forum! That is a really solid start to a Tau force and could honestly go a lot of different ways with it. If you're just looking for a way to get a feel for what Tau can do, I would just run a little bit of everything to get a feel for it. Don't expect to win with that kind of list though.

Now, to make your job a little easier starting out, allow me to go over the sparknotes version of what you can expect from each of your units.

Commander - pretty much amazing at whatever you design him to focus one, but almost always works best as a buff for other units. Pair him up with your most aggressive unit of battlesuits (double plasma rifles works well, or if you pick up some broadsides with missile pods that can be a good place for him too), give him the PEN chip, the multispectrum suit, and the command and control node (you don't have to give him all of those depending on what you plan for him to buff) and then just let him buff the crap out of a unit. He's easily as powerful as the best psykers in the game. The other use for this guy, which is how I run him, is as a drone baby sitter. Take a drone controller and all drones he is with become BS5; give him a unit of 6 marker drones and he becomes a great source of markerlights.

Cadre Fireblade - another buff giver. This one will change the way a unit acts though since he only gives out his buff (+1 shots) if your unit doesn't move. Because of this you need to make sure he goes into the largest unit of firewarriors you can get and deploy them into a strongly defensive area (far back on the board with good firing lanes).

2x Riptide (both fully magnetised) - Without markerlights these are entirely distraction units. Big scary monsters with high defenses to draw firepower away from the real threats in your army. The ion accelerator is arguably a better weapon option, so if you're only taking one take an IA. If you take two, I personally like 2 IAs... but you could throw in a burst cannon one instead. With support they can do just about anything thanks to their versatile weapon. Large high strength low AP blast templates with gigantic range are amazing. 5 markerlight hits per Riptide is optimal. Do not give these guys drones it's a trap option!

3x Stealth Suits - These guys are a harassment unit. They are two weak to deal any significant damage on the battlefield. If you can get 6 all with burst cannons they can be more of a threat, but they are still just a distraction. Very hard to kill, very versatile in their deployment, and very annoying for you opponent.

9x Crisis Suits (all magnetised aswell) - The workhorse of the Tau army. Use them to fulfill whatever roll your army needs. With the Farsight Enclave supplement they are now troops, so pick that up and run them that way if you want. They rock. Always specialize your teams. Give them a primary purpose and a pair of weapons to match that purpose. The most popular options are double plasma, double missiles, and double fusion blasters. If you go for an all suits list you will want to look at double burst cannons too in order to get some higher rate of fire weapons.

20x Fire Warriors - the cheapest source of S5 weaponry in our army and a really nice range on their gun. Always go pulse rifle over pulse carbine. Keep them cheap, don't buy upgrades for them. They are incredibly fragile; if they are out in the open they will die. Make sure they either have some nice cover or a transport.

1x Pirhana - Well priced for what it gets you; 2 free drones and a piece of fast moving impassable terrain. Alone, give it a fusion blaster and ram it straight down your opponent's front line; park it in front of his vehicles and in narrow points on the board to slow down his movement and waste time. Worst case scenario he blows up around 30 points (deploy the drones early on so they can pester things too), best case scenario it totally clogs up the board and prevents him ever reaching close combat with you. I honestly wish I used these things more than I do already.

1x Devilfish - one of the most defensive troop transports in the game. Really hard to take down. And if it comes with a squad of fire warriors when you start the game, it is scoring for the entire game. Give it a disruption pod and use it to act as mobile cover. In the final turn use its tank shock to force enemies off of objectives and claim them for yourself.

1x Hammerhead - It looks so impressive with it's giant gun... but it just isn't. New vehicle rules make it all but immobile. Park it in heavy cover with a nice firing lane, and hope for the best. The ion cannon is better than the railgun due to accuracy issues and the nerf to the penetration table for shooting vehicles. Remember, it is anti-infantry first, anti-tank secondary. Don't be tricked.

And a shitloads of drones - mix these guys in to suit units. 2 shield drones will boost the survivability of a unit of crisis suits. Marker drones work really well as noted in the commander section above. Gun drones can be a good way to add a little extra firepower to anti-infantry suit units.

As a final note about Tau, don't stretch your points. You have nearly infinite upgrades and can easily turn a 500 point army into 1000 if you go crazy with the extra bells and whistles, but it's a trick. Keep things simple, keep things cheap, get more units, and you will do way better.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2015, 08:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

You actually have a pretty good list there only real additions I can see is adding some broadsides and ethereal if your going heavy infantry, or shadowsun if your going more stealth suits, because in numbers they can be the biggest survivors and if you have points to waist and want to have them really annoy someone give them shields and stim, they give a new meaning to "It will not die!" Seeing as you have two riptides I would also reccommend looking into the Fire support cadre will free up elite and heavy slots and essentially gives free tank hunters.
Old 17 May 2015, 22:51   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the tips, I'm currently working on a list and it looks like this right now:

+++ Test Tau (807pts) +++

++ Tau Empire: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) (807pts) ++

+ HQ (194pts) +

Commander (194pts) [Crisis Battlesuit, Missile Pod (15pts), Plasma rifle (15pts), Shield Generator (25pts), Target Lock (5pts), XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit (25pts)]
····Rules: Independent Character, Supporting Fire, Very Bulky
····2x Shield Drone (24pts) [2x Shield Generator]
····Profiles:
········Commander (XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit, Shield Generator): Unit Type:Jet Pack Infantry (Character)|WS:4|BS:5|S:5|T:5|W:4|I:3|A:4|Ld:10|Sa ve:2+/4++|Codex: Tau Empire p34
········Shield Drone: Unit Type:Jet Pack Infantry (Drone)|WS:2|BS:2|S:3|T:4|W:1|I:4|A:1|Ld:7|Save:4+/4++|Codex: Tau Empire p33
········Blacksun Filter: Description:Night Vision and immune to Blind.|Codex: Tau Empire p68
········Crisis Battlesuit: Description:Comes equipped with Multi-Tracker and Blacksun Filter.|Codex: Tau Empire p70
········Multi-Tracker: Description:Fire an extra weapon each Shooting phase.|Codex: Tau Empire p69
········Shield Generator: Description:4+ invulnerable save.|Codex: Tau Empire p69
········Target Lock: Description:Can shoot at different target than his unit.|Codex: Tau Empire p69
········XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit: Description:+1 Toughness and 2+ Armour Save.|Codex: Tau Empire p73
········Missile Pod: Range:36"|Strength:7|AP:4|Type:Assault 2|Codex: Tau Empire p66
········Plasma Rifle: Range:24"|Strength:6|AP:2|Type:Rapid Fire|Codex: Tau Empire p66

+ Elites (358pts) +

XV8 Crisis Team (126pts)
····Rules: Supporting Fire, Very Bulky
····Crisis Shas'ui (42pts) [Crisis Battlesuit, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster (20pts)]
····Crisis Shas'ui (42pts) [Crisis Battlesuit, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster (20pts)]
····Profiles:
········Crisis Shas'ui: Unit Type:Jet Pack Infantry|WS:2|BS:3|S:5|T:4|W:2|I:2|A:2|Ld:8|Save:3 +|Codex: Tau Empire p41
········Blacksun Filter: Description:Night Vision and immune to Blind.|Codex: Tau Empire p68
········Crisis Battlesuit: Description:Comes equipped with Multi-Tracker and Blacksun Filter.|Codex: Tau Empire p70
········Multi-Tracker: Description:Fire an extra weapon each Shooting phase.|Codex: Tau Empire p69
········Fusion Blaster: Range:18"|Strength:8|AP:1|Type:Assault 1, Melta|Codex: Tau Empire p65

XV8 Crisis Team (111pts)
····Crisis Shas'ui (37pts) [Burst Cannon (10pts), Crisis Battlesuit, Flamer (5pts)]
····Crisis Shas'ui (37pts) [Burst Cannon (10pts), Crisis Battlesuit, Flamer (5pts)]
····Profiles:
········Crisis Shas'ui: Unit Type:Jet Pack Infantry|WS:2|BS:3|S:5|T:4|W:2|I:2|A:2|Ld:8|Save:3 +|Codex: Tau Empire p41
········Burst Cannon: Range:18"|Strength:5|AP:5|Type:Assault 4|Codex: Tau Empire p65
········Flamer: Range:Template|Strength:4|AP:5|Type:Assault 1|Wh40k rulebook p56

XV8 Crisis Team (121pts)
····Crisis Shas'ui (42pts) [Crisis Battlesuit, Twin-linked Missile Pod (20pts)]
····Crisis Shas'ui (42pts) [Crisis Battlesuit, Twin-linked Missile Pod (20pts)]
····Crisis Shas'ui (37pts) [Crisis Battlesuit, Missile Pod (15pts)]
····Profiles:
········Missile Pod: Range:36"|Strength:7|AP:4|Type:Assault 2|Codex: Tau Empire p66

+ Troops (205pts) +

Fire Warrior Team (115pts) [9x Fire Warrior Shas'la with Pulse Rifle (81pts), Photon Grenades]
····Rules: Supporting Fire
····Fire Warrior Shas'ui (34pts) [Markerlight and Target Lock (15pts), Pulse Rifle]
····Profiles:
········Fire Warrior: Unit Type:Infantry|WS:2|BS:3|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:2|A:1|Ld:7|S ave:4+|Codex: Tau Empire p37
········Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Unit Type:Infantry (Character)|WS:2|BS:3|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:2|A:2|Ld:8|Sav e:4+|Codex: Tau Empire p37
········Photon Grenades: Descriptionefensive grenades, Wh40k rulebook pg62|Codex: Tau Empire p68
········Target Lock: Description:Can shoot at different target than his unit.|Codex: Tau Empire p69
········Markerlight: Range:36"|Strength:-|AP:-|Type:Heavy 1, Target Acquired|Codex: Tau Empire p68
········Pulse Rifle: Range:30"|Strength:5|AP:5|Type:Rapid Fire|Codex: Tau Empire p66

Fire Warrior Team (90pts) [10x Fire Warrior Shas'la with Pulse Rifle (90pts), Photon Grenades]
····Rules: Supporting Fire
····Profiles:
········Fire Warrior: Unit Type:Infantry|WS:2|BS:3|S:3|T:3|W:1|I:2|A:1|Ld:7|S ave:4+|Codex: Tau Empire p37
········Photon Grenades: Descriptionefensive grenades, Wh40k rulebook pg62|Codex: Tau Empire p68
········Pulse Rifle: Range:30"|Strength:5|AP:5|Type:Rapid Fire|Codex: Tau Empire p66

+ Fast Attack (50pts) +

Piranhas (50pts)
····Piranha (50pts) [Fusion Blaster (10pts), Two Gun Drones]
····Profiles:
········Gun Drone: Unit Type:Jet Pack Infantry (Drone)|WS:2|BS:2|S:3|T:4|W:1|I:4|A:1|Ld:7|Save:4+ |Codex: Tau Empire p33
········Piranha: BS:3|Front:11|Side:10|Rear:10|HP:2|Type:Fast, Skimmer, Open-topped|Codex: Tau Empire p47
········Fusion Blaster: Range:18"|Strength:8|AP:1|Type:Assault 1, Melta|Codex: Tau Empire p65
········Pulse Carbine: Range:18"|Strength:5|AP:5|Type:Assault 2, Pinning|Codex: Tau Empire p66

Now comes the question, how do I spend the remaining 200pts? I don't know what support systems to give for the Crisis Suits.
Old 18 May 2015, 03:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Wow this is really, really hard to read. If I may however, one might consider the FNP's instead of Shields as they are 10 points cheaper and provide a good defense against everything.
Replace all your crisis suits Twin Linked for doubles, as this will keep the same effect except you'll be able to actually wound more. and who knows maybe you'll get enough extra points to give your crisis FNP.
Drop Sgt's as they really don't help tau all that much the points-effectiveness ratio doesn't help that much.
For gods sake give your pirhana a D-pod and filter to increase his survivability(Filter if you have an extra point after everything is done.) thats all I got for your setup if you got any more questions just ask.
Old 18 May 2015, 08:09   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRaven View Post
Wow this is really, really hard to read. If I may however, one might consider the FNP's instead of Shields as they are 10 points cheaper and provide a good defense against everything.
Replace all your crisis suits Twin Linked for doubles, as this will keep the same effect except you'll be able to actually wound more. and who knows maybe you'll get enough extra points to give your crisis FNP.
Drop Sgt's as they really don't help tau all that much the points-effectiveness ratio doesn't help that much.
For gods sake give your pirhana a D-pod and filter to increase his survivability(Filter if you have an extra point after everything is done.) thats all I got for your setup if you got any more questions just ask.
Sorry about that, I copied the text right away from my Battlescribe app and it became like this.
Old 18 May 2015, 12:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

No need for apology your all good, did the info help you any?
Old 18 May 2015, 14:58   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I took your advice and did some changes. How does this look?

+++ Test Tau (998pts) +++

++ Tau Empire: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) (998pts) ++

+ HQ (194pts) +

Commander (194pts) [Crisis Battlesuit, Missile Pod (15pts), Plasma rifle (15pts), Shield Generator (25pts), Target Lock (5pts), XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit (25pts)]
····Independent Character, Supporting Fire, Very Bulky
····2x Shield Drone (24pts) [2x Shield Generator]
····Profiles:
········Commander (XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit, Shield Generator): Unit Type:Jet Pack Infantry (Character)|WS:4|BS:5|S:5|T:5|W:4|I:3|A:4|Ld:10|Sa ve:2+/4++|Codex: Tau Empire p34
········Shield Drone: Unit Type:Jet Pack Infantry (Drone)|WS:2|BS:2|S:3|T:4|W:1|I:4|A:1|Ld:7|Save:4+/4++|Codex: Tau Empire p33
········Shield Generator: Description:4+ invulnerable save.|Codex: Tau Empire p69
········XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit: Description:+1 Toughness and 2+ Armour Save.|Codex: Tau Empire p73
········Plasma Rifle: Range:24"|Strength:6|AP:2|Type:Rapid Fire|Codex: Tau Empire p66

+ Elites (558pts) +

XV8 Crisis Team (201pts)
····Supporting Fire, Very Bulky
····Crisis Shas'ui (67pts) [Crisis Battlesuit, 2x Fusion Blaster (30pts), Stimulant Injector (15pts)]
····Crisis Shas'ui (67pts) [Crisis Battlesuit, 2x Fusion Blaster (30pts), Stimulant Injector (15pts)]
····Profiles:
········Stimulant Injector: Description:Feel No Pain.|Codex: Tau Empire p69

XV8 Crisis Team (156pts)
····Crisis Shas'ui (52pts) [Burst Cannon (10pts), Crisis Battlesuit, Flamer (5pts), Stimulant Injector (15pts)]
····Crisis Shas'ui (52pts) [Burst Cannon (10pts), Crisis Battlesuit, Flamer (5pts), Stimulant Injector (15pts)]
····Profiles:
········Burst Cannon: Range:18"|Strength:5|AP:5|Type:Assault 4|Codex: Tau Empire p65
········Flamer: Range:Template|Strength:4|AP:5|Type:Assault 1|Wh40k rulebook p56

XV8 Crisis Team (201pts)
····Crisis Shas'ui (67pts) [Crisis Battlesuit, 2x Missile Pod (30pts), Stimulant Injector (15pts)]
····Crisis Shas'ui (67pts) [Crisis Battlesuit, 2x Missile Pod (30pts), Stimulant Injector (15pts)]
····Profiles:

+ Troops (180pts) +

Fire Warrior Team (90pts) [10x Fire Warrior Shas'la with Pulse Rifle (90pts), Photon Grenades]
····Supporting Fire
····Profiles:

····Supporting Fire
····Profiles:

+ Fast Attack (66pts) +

Piranhas (66pts)
····Piranha (66pts) [Blacksun Filter (1pts), Disruption Pod (15pts), Fusion Blaster (10pts), Two Gun Drones]
····Profiles:
········Gun Drone: Unit Type:Jet Pack Infantry (Drone)|WS:2|BS:2|S:3|T:4|W:1|I:4|A:1|Ld:7|Save:4+ |Codex: Tau Empire p33
········Piranha: BS:3|Front:11|Side:10|Rear:10|HP:2|Type:Fast, Skimmer, Open-topped|Codex: Tau Empire p47
········Disruption Pod: Description:+1 cover save.|Codex: Tau Empire p72
········Pulse Carbine: Range:18"|Strength:5|AP:5|Type:Assault 2, Pinning|Codex: Tau Empire p66

++ Selection Rules ++

Independent Character: (Warhammer 40k rulebook p39)
Supporting Fire: When an enemy charges, all friendly models with this special rule in units within 6" of the unit being charged can choose to fire Overwatch. (Codex: Tau Empire p32)
Very Bulky: (Warhammer 40k rulebook p35)
Old 18 May 2015, 17:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Your commander is confused 1 missile and one plasma rifle makes him not particularly good at doing anything despite being able to do a tiny bit of everything... this is not a useful thing. Further, his target lock lets him shoot at a separate unit... but he serves no purpose joining any of the existing units. Pick a job for him and equip him accordingly.

Your crisis suit load outs also have some issue. The burst cannon flamer just isn't doing anything for you. You already have fire warriors to cover your S5 basis, and if you go flamers, go balls to the wall with them; as a rule for taking flamer suits, you take 6 flamers on 3 suits and you use them knowing you are going to lose the unit due to its super short range, but you are going to nuke something with 6 flame templates. I would take plasma rifles instead of flamers... and if you have room plasma rifles instead of burst cannons.

You probably have more anti-tank than you need at 1000 points. An option worth considering would be to make your commander double fusion blasters so you can use him and the piranha as your tank hunters, and then free up the fusion crisis team for something else. An alternative would be to drop one suit from that team of 3 fusions, and use the points elsewhere (like loading up your missile team with marker drones).

On the topic of marker drones... this list needs some form of buffs to function. Markerlights or a buffmander would help a lot.

Stims on everything isn't the most necessary thing I've ever seen. That's a lot of points invested to not be adding any real offensive power to the list. The extra defense is good, but at least on the missile suits, you have a 36" range and jump-shoot-jump to keep you safe.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2015, 21:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Defenitely agreeing with the below statement, However stims are entirely up to you if you feel you need the extra defense, but is not required I tend to use it with stealth suits the most because of the already 2+ Cover that I generally get with my board settings.