Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau 1500 Vs Space Wolves Need quick once over fighting tomorrow
Old 06 May 2015, 02:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau 1500 Vs Space Wolves Need quick once over fighting tomorrow

Hi guys,

Like the title says I just need a quick once over, not played Tau this edition yet and have my first outing against Space Wolves tomorrow so if you notice anything that needs changing let me know.

HQ- 137 Pts

Commander
PEN, CCN, MSJ, MSS (in PR XV8's)

Elites - 532 Pts

Riptide
EWO, IA, VT, TLPR

x3 XV8's
PR+PR, PR+PR, PR+PR+TL

x3XV8's
PR+PR, PR+PR, PR+FB+TL

Troops - 189

10 Fire Warriors
Bonded

12 Kroot 1 Hound
Sniper Rounds

Fast Attack - 218

6 Pathfinders
IR

6 Pathfinders
IR

4 Pathfinders

Heavy Support - 423

Hammerhead
IC, SMS, DP

x3 XV88's
HYMP+SMS+EWO, HYMP+SMS+EWO, HYMP+SMS+TL
x6 Missile Drones

Cheers
No 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2015, 03:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't think your list has enough antitank for 1500 points. 1 fusion blaster is just not going to cut it, especially against marines. I'd bring at least 2 full dedicated anti-tank models (probably 2 FB+FB suits would cover it).
Also, that 4 man team of pathfinders is going to die so fast it may as well not be there at all.
Bonding ritual on fire warriors is a total waste of points.
You probably don't need the target lock on the one plasma rifle suit... it won't really help.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2015, 03:37   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hey,

Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding the 2 FB+FB are they to go in the same unit or one in in each? Also would you recommend finding points to increase to the path finders to 3 Units of 6 or just run the two and put the points into something else?

Thanks again for the input.
Old 06 May 2015, 03:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't like pathfinders even a little bit... the only time I ever saw them work in the slightest was as a pair of small heavy weapon teams and even then they didn't wow anyone (other than the fact that they were seen as such a limited threat that they lived the entirety of the game). If you are going to use them as your light source I'd say go 2 larger units (2 units of 8?).

I'd go with a unit of fusion suits with target locks. This would give a better chance of allowing you to pop transports with this unit and then shoot up the inside with the plasma unit. It also keeps the plasma suits a smidgen further away from the danger zone. And as a bonus it keeps to the golden rule of Tau 'Just because you can be a little good at everything doesn't mean you should try to be' it's always better to specialize your crisis teams for a single purpose with a secondary after their mission is complete.
Old 06 May 2015, 14:22   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So I have made the following changes:

HQ- 137 Pts

Commander
PEN, CCN, MSJ, MSS (in PR XV8's)

Elites - 475 Pts

Riptide
EWO, IA, VT, TLPR

x3 XV8's
PR+PR, PR+PR, PR+PR

x3XV8's
FB+FB, FB+FB+TL

Troops - 189

10 Fire Warriors
Bonded

12 Kroot 1 Hound
Sniper Rounds

Fast Attack - 274

8 Pathfinders
IR

7 Pathfinders

8 Pathfinders

Heavy Support - 423

Hammerhead
IC, SMS, DP

x3 XV88's
HYMP+SMS+EWO, HYMP+SMS+EWO, HYMP+SMS+TL
x6 Missile Drones
Old 06 May 2015, 14:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

All I can recommend for you on this one friend is take out the wolves first they close in stupid fast and the wolf hq can take a squad and riptide himself if they gets into assault range. Btw you should drop the one squad of pathfinders and put marker drones and drone controller on your commander/crisis team.
Old 06 May 2015, 17:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You can also save 10 points (for whatever) by dropping the bonding from the fire warriors. You won't need it.
Likewise, you have a target lock on your broadside team. Concentrate their fire. Give him the EWO instead so he can pump out shots outside of his turn like the others.
Old 06 May 2015, 23:01   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hi guys,

Battle is over with victory for the Tau!!

I ended up dropping a unit of pathfinders for Marker Drones and Drone controller on the commander, I did drop the bonding and used spare points to buff the Kroot unit, they killed two wolf cav's with Sniper rounds!!

He basically rushed me with the cav and dropped poded units into my deployment zone where the riptide and Broadsides destroyed them with inercepter. Then his next turn a flyer with Terminators came in, Riptide crew stunned it and it died in my Turn from Broadsides snap shooting like bosses, I got something like eight pens on it. So yeah his turn 3 he dropped in last drop pod took the relic and cheesed it away from my stuff but a pie from the Riptide and my FB Crisis Suits ate them up up and I won

Quick question though, can markerlights improve the to hit roll on a non skyfire unit against flyers? As he said they couldn't but as I was winning I let it go.

Oh and thanks for the help with the list.
Old 07 May 2015, 05:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

gratz on the win man, and to your question yes it can be used for firing against air targets because it alters your ballistic skill after all modifiers have been taken, at least thats what my judge said.
Old 07 May 2015, 06:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes, as Raven has mentioned. The way the rule interaction works, skyfire is snapshot. Snapfire reduces your ballistic skill to 1, and then markerlights can raise ballistic skill 1 point per light spent. In the markerlight section of our codex (pg 68) the rule pinpoint specifically states you may use markerlights to increase the ballistic skill of snapfiring and overwatching units.