Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My First Tau Army Setup!
Old 23 Feb 2015, 23:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Talking My First Tau Army Setup!

Hey Guys So I'm putting up my first army list tell me what you guys think oh and also I'm totally lost on what Optional parts to use so if you guys have any idea that would be awesome.

[HQ]
-Commander Shadowsun w/XV8 Crisis Bodyguard Team
-Crisis Suit
-plasma, Missile, Shield
-Crisis Suit
-Fusion, Burst, Shield
-Drones
-Missile, Shield, 2x Gun

-Darkstrider

-Ethereal
-Honor Blade
-Drones
-Shield, Gun

[Troops]
-3x Fire Warrior Team
T1-9xRifle, 1 Shas'ui w/Marklerlight, Targetlock
-Drones
-2xGun
T2-9xRifle
-Drone
-Gun
T3-9xRifle
-Drone
-Gun

-Kroot Carnivore Squad
-15xKroot
-3xHounds
-1x Shaper
-Kroot Rifle

[Elites]
-XV8 Crisis team
-Crisis suit
-Plasma, Shield, Flamer
-Drones
-Missile, Gun

-Stealth Team
-3xStealth
-Burst
-'vre
-Burst

-XV104 Riptide
-Burst, W-S.Missile, Shield
-Drones
-2xShielded Missile

[Fast Attack]
-Pathfinder Team
-10xPathfinders
-Carbine
-3xPathfinders
-Rail
-3xShas'ui
-Carbine
-Drones
-Recon, 3xGun

[Heavy Support]
-XV88 Broadside Team
-W-Rail, W-Plasma, Seeker
-Drones
-Markerlight, Gun

-Hammerhead Gunship
-Railgun, Sub, 2xSeeker,
-Drones
-W-S.Missiles

-Skyray Missile Defense Gunship
-6xSeeker, W-Markerlights, Velocity Tracker
-Drones
-W-S.Missiles

WOOOOO Big list which when I look at the army together they look so small :/ well I think its around ~1700pts Like I said any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and also I've never played a game yet so I have no idea what would translate to good optional things like target lock and stuff like that so suggestions for thoughs would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks guys!
Old 24 Feb 2015, 02:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

My my, this list is trouble lol and not just because it's a tad hard to read :P I will try to go through and leave commentary and changes for each item.

HQ:
Commander Shadowsun
-A nice option she will buff the survivability of a unit really well. She's a little less powerful now that the new FAQ is out specifically clarifying that she cannot confer infiltator onto other units (though the wording is dangerous because RAW it says infiltrators cannot join non infiltrators ever... as always discuss the RAI with your opponent before your game starts).

Crisis Body Guards
-At the worst I'd cut them and go with Elites instead, Bodyguards gain almost nothing (auto-pass look out sir is a neat trick) but cost 10 points more each. At best they need to have their weapons changed. This unit is all over the place and needs to define its battlefield role in a far more concrete way. Give each of them double fusion blasters or double plasma rifles; drop the shield generators they already get stealth and shrouded for a 4+ save from Shadowsun.

Darkstrider
-Don't see him very often, a slightly unusual choice, but not unheard of. Only issue is you have 3 HQ which means you need to keep a separate force org in mind. May I suggest Farsight Enclaves Allies to make your elite battlesuits into troops? Put him in the same unit as the ethereal.

Ethereal
-You see these guys loads but usually in slightly more aggressively mobile Tau lists. No reason he can't still work, just keep him safe and keep your warriors inside his bubble of awesome. Also keep him cheep. Drop every upgrade, he doesn't need a single one of the. Same issue as above with the force org issue, consider Farsight Enclave allies. Put him in the same unit as Darkstrider.

Troops:
3x9 Fire Warriors
-Keep them cheap and cheerful. No need for Shas'ui while Ethereal and Darkstrider and standing in their midst. Gun drones get bogged down by the unit they are in and become nothing more than a more expensive fire warrior, if you want more bodies use more fire warriors, let the drones run free with the other jump-shoot-jumpers. You could even consider consolidating these 3 units into 2 units of 12 (dropping 3 warriors) if you're thinking of taking the Farsight allies.

Kroot Carnivores
-no need for the shaper and one hound is more than enough. I like to give mine sniper rounds for taking down monsters but that's up to you.

Elites:
Crisis Suits
-Whatever you decided to make the bodyguard team (fusion or plasma) these guys should be the other side of that coin. Further, they should be Farsight Enclave to free up space and get more scoring potential in here. Crisis suits may not take missile drones, only broadsides may take them; this was in the errata the first day the book was released (everybody was grumpy about it). In any case these guys want shield drones for the defense buff. I don't think you need flamers, but if you want one take a single flamer on the third hardpoint of one of the suits.

Stealth team
-Try to get 3 more of these guys. 3 really only acts as an annoyance because the opponent has to shoot it and make it die. 6 will harass the crap out of an opponent and actually force them into bad situations. Burst cannons for life!

Riptide
-For running a single Riptide I would strongly recommend going IA over HBC, and fusion blasters over any of the other secondary weapons. This list would really benefit from some High S low AP weaponry to help with anti-tank. There is only one situation in which you should take the drones with your riptide and this isn't that situation (if you take the Farsight Independent character one, you are forced to take drones... that's the only time you should take them); the drones do not benefit from his overcharged power and do not count as monstrous creatures. Best case scenario they slow him down, worst case they get him killed. Don't take them.

Fast Attack:
Pathfinders
-I don't like pathfinders. Everybody thinks I'm a grouch, but I have never seen them live long enough to be anything but free points for my opponent. But since they are all the markerlight support you've got you might as well go for them. Notably and maybe of interest to you, the best pathfinder teams I have ever seen were a pair of 5 man teams each with 3 special weapons (they still were not 'good' per say but they did better than I had expected them to). A much better option for lights in my opinion would be to marker drones. Marker drones with a commander to buff them are my life. Notably I think your list doesn't have enough lights to support all your units (you're looking at roughly 6 hits a turn for your entire army's lights but your army draws roughly double that in optimal light support); to put it in perspective this entire unit is enough to buff just your riptide to a level that it will be functioning at optimal capacity.

Heavy support:
Broadsides
-Love the HRR option, but being totally honest it will be the worse of the two choices. Significantly. Stick with it and represent the old-school railsides, or change over to missiles instead, the choice is yours. In either case unless you're going full drone support I'd suggest swapping the two drones you have now for either 6 missile drones or a pair of shield drones instead.

Hammerhead
-I don't think you need the seekers. I don't think they are adding enough to be worth it in this list (especially not for a low movement vehicle like the modern hammerhead). I do however think that a disruption pod for that +1 to cover might be very nice.

Skyray
-Perfect just as it is. Consider the disruption pod though.

So now putting it all together, how I would run it (I am not going to look at points right now just force organization):

Tau Empire Army:
HQ:
Shadowsun
Darkstrider

Elites:
6 Stealth suits

Troops:
12 Fire Warriors
-pulse rifles

12 Fire Warriors
-pulse rifles

15 kroot
-sniper ammo
-1 hound

Fast Attack:
10 pathfinders
OR...........
5 pathfinders
-3 rail rifles
5 pathfinders
-3 ion rifles

Heavy Support:
Broadsides
-HYMP
-6 missile drones

Hammerhead
-submunition rounds
-sms
-dp

Skyray
-sms
-dp

Farsight Enclave Allies:
HQ:
Ethereal

Elites:
Riptide
-IA
-TL fusion blaster
-(optional) ECPA
-(optional) Stim Injectors

Troops:
3 XV8 Crisis Suits
-6 plasma rifles
-2 shield drones

2 XV8 Crisis Suits
-4 fusion blasters
-1 target lock
-1 vectored retro thruster
-2 shield drones

Note: it still could really use some more markerlights!

Last edited by Carrelio; 24 Feb 2015 at 02:35.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2015, 18:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I must say thats pretty thorough thanks

ok so they all make sense except for a few of them I don't understand.

-not sure what RAW or RAI are.

-and with shadowsun should I replace my shield drone with something else then? since shadowsun already gives the +4 Save, and can she be combined with my stealth unit I thought I saw it somewhere, but can't seem to find it anymore.

-I thought with heros they had to be seperate unless the codex says you can accompany them with things such as the bodyguard team with shadowsun, and I'm guessing to understand the allies thing I have to get a farsight enclave codex?

-the Karnivore squad I think is mostly confusing me isn't the shaper just a better kroot? and why lose the two dogs do they not help offensively or defensively or is it more of a points wasting problem?

-and Riptide, I thought drones moved with the model or do you have to move them separately and thats what makes them bad; and I have no idea what ECPA is?

-the broadsides you said recommend bringing six drones, but the codex says I can only bring two is that a farsight enclave thing or is it some sort of ruling I don't know about?

-and finally the hammerhead, I brought the seekers because I was under the understanding that you can use markerlights from units like pathfinders to fire on a unit even if the hammerhead itself is across the map so like hammerhead is 5' away from a apoc tank, but a Pathfinder with markerlight is 36" away he the hammerheads seeker can hit the apoc tank; at least thats what I got from the codex.

Thanks for teh helps when I have moneys I'll definitly invest in some of the stuff!
Old 25 Feb 2015, 05:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

RAW stands for 'rules as written' while RAI is the 'rules as intended'. It may seem clear how a rule was intended to be worded; for example "non-infiltrators may not infiltrate" is what GW was likely trying to say when they said "a model with infiltrator may not deploy with a unit without infiltrator" but the way it is actually written says "you can't deploy them together even if you are not infiltrating." Some opponents get really touchy about their rules so it's always good to discuss it before the game (or talk to tournament judges before the tournament).

Shadowsun has stealth and shrouded, a pair of rules that increase cover saves by +3. That means in the open, her and any unit she is with receives a 4+ cover save. If she enters anything greater than some barbed wire (which only has a 6+ cover save, for a total of 3+ with shadowsun) then she's would have a 2+ cover save, which is better than anything a shield generator could give you. There will be enemies who ignore cover, but they are rare enough it's not a big deal. Shadowsun's personal drones are a tad expensive for what they actually give her, I'd leave them at home (the command-link drone can be pretty good though).

If it has the independent character special rule, then it can join anything except things it is specifically not allowed to join (which I think is just monstrous creatures and vehicles). The entire Tau HQ section count as independent characters (aside from the bodyguards themselves obviously) so you can join them to other squads with impunity.

You would need a Farsight Enclave supplement to play Farsight Enclave allies at a GW, local hobby stores might be a little more lax. It's an alright book, especially if you like the Tau fluff. It's basically 50 pages of how awesome Farsight is, and then 1 page of actual rules.

Kroot are a ranged unit not a close combat unit. They just aren't powerful enough to make any lasting impact in combat (other than to be used as a speedbump against enemy close combat troops). Hounds are a close combat kroot, so they have no purpose in a ranged unit. However, hounds have the acute sense special rule which helps you infiltrate (which is something super useful when thinking about deployment flexibility). Just one hound grants the entire unit the rule. The shaper is a more expensive kroot; he's more than twice as expensive and no where near twice as good. Simply put, having another 2 kroot is just a better way to spend the points than 1 shaper.

The riptide is a monstrous creature, which provides it a special rule that allows it to move through difficult terrain without needing to take difficult terrain tests. The drones are not monstrous creatures and thus must take difficult terrain tests. If a drone fails the test, the riptide must pass a panic check or flee off the board. Further, the one of the riptide's nova abilities allows the riptide to make a significantly longer second jump in the assault phase. The drones don't benefit from the riptide's nova ability and thus limit the secondary jump move to a regular 2d6 (to maintain the 2" unit cohesion).

2 Drones for each suit rather than for each unit. If you bring 3 suits, you can bring 6 drones.

You are correct in your understanding of seeker missiles and markerlights, they can be used to fire on targets. The issue is, that while this is a neat party trick it isn't contributing significantly to the vehicle's battlefield roll given the point cost. A single S8 AP3 shot will likely do nothing. Were they on a fast vehicle which might be behind enemy tanks for rear armour attack then maybe (since the seeker missile draws its path from the firing vehicle, not the light source), but the hammerhead is too immobile under 7th edition vehicle shooting rules to see anything other than front armour where S8 will be lucky to even glance.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2015, 07:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

cool thanks for the explination helps alot