Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My New Tau
Old 30 Mar 2014, 22:48   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default My New Tau

Hi I'm new to playing Tau and I'm trying construct a 2000 point army list and would like to see if there is any changes I should make as well as adding anything.

HQ

Shadowsun 180pts
2x MV52 Shield Drone

Commander 186pts
PENchip
2x Fusion Blasters
2x Shield Drone
NSJ
CCN

Elites
3x XV8 156pts
6x Fusion Blasters

Riptide 210pts
1x Ion Accelerator
1x TL Fusion Blaster
EWO
VT

Riptide 210pts
1x Ion Accelerator
1x TL Fusion Blaster
EWO
VT

Troops
10x Firewarriors 90pts

10x Firewarriors 90pts

10x Firewarriors 90pts

10x Fire warriors 90pts

Fast Attack
6x Pathfinders 66pts

6x Pathfinders 66pts

6x Pathfinders 66pts

Heavy Support
2x Broadsides 170pts
2x TL HYMP
2x TL SMS
2x VT

2x Broadsides 170pts
2x TL HYMP
2x TL SMS
2x VT

So coming out to a total of 165 points short of 2000 I'm trying to find something to fill it maybe a sniper drone squad or more path finders and warriors or some devilfish.

Last edited by Pulsar; 31 Mar 2014 at 00:38.
Pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2014, 04:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hey Pulsar, Welcome to the forum!
You'll find you have a much larger response rate if you post this in the Tau army list section, but the list is looking good!

I don't really know what to suggest since your list isn't really missing anything. If I had one complain it's that your troops are pretty static and frail compared to the rest of your list... but that's more of a play style choice and pretty common these days. Should you want to speed them up then a couple devilfish would be needed (in 40k, one of anything, especially the only vehicle in a list, is just asking for trouble). Sniper drones are one of my favourite units (I use them for markerlights) and I think they'd suit your current list well. Alternatively Kroot would add some deployment flexibility to your troop section.

Just a few thoughts...
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2014, 08:02   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I forgot to mention all my suits have Target Lock. Including the commander. Reason for this being I was going for a fusion blaster deathstar that wipes out a large portion of the enemy vehicles the turn they arrive from deepstrike then jump 3D6 away from all enemies and stay nice and cozy as my enemy weeps while all his vehicles burn asunder. That brings me to 1860pts. And I think I'm going to do sniper squad for extra markerlight and awesome potential for rapid fire sniper shots. And added some more bits to my Shadowsun Fusion Blaster Deathstar for added survivability.

Heres what its come out to be at 1999pts :-)

HQ
Shadowsun 180pts
2x MV52 Shield Drone

Commander 196pts
PENchip
2x Fusion Blasters
2x Shield Drone
Target Lock
VRT
NSJ
CCN

Elites
3x XV8 171pts
6x Fusion Blasters
3x Target Lock

Riptide 210pts
1x Ion Accelerator
1x TL Fusion Blaster
EWO
VT

Riptide 210pts
1x Ion Accelerator
1x TL Fusion Blaster
EWO
VT

Troops
10x Firewarriors 90pts

10x Firewarriors 90pts

10x Firewarriors 90pts

10x Fire warriors 90pts

Fast Attack
6x Pathfinders 66pts

6x Pathfinders 66pts

6x Pathfinders 66pts

Heavy Support
2x Broadsides 170pts
2x TL HYMP
2x TL SMS
2x VT

2x Broadsides 170pts
2x TL HYMP
2x TL SMS
2x VT

Sniper Drone Team 129
3x Marksman
6x Sniper Drones

On paper seems pretty nasty >; D what do you all think

Last edited by Pulsar; 31 Mar 2014 at 08:05.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 11:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Looks like a good list, though I have a few pointers:

Shadowsun only costs 175pts with her two Drones, so that's 5pts saved.

The Command and Control Node is a bit useless on a Commander with two Weapons, you'll either be wasting his guns, or wasting that C+CN. Given your Deathstar, I'd just drop his weapons and give him the MSSS. Twin-Linked Ignores Cover on all models in the unit is nasty.

I have to ask whether you feel that having so many Fusion Blasters in one place will be handy. Remember that Scattering will be an issue when the unit is so large, and it begs the question of how much Armour you see. Your list is very focused on Anti-Tank and Anti-Flier.

I'd suggest trying either a squad of Kroot, or Darkstrider. Darkstrider allows the squad he joins to Outflank, and the Kroot get it natively. A full Fire Warrior squad appearing in the enemy Deployment Zone, rapid-firing with Markerlight support and -1 Toughness is brutal to almost anything, you'll reap heavy casualties on them, snag Linebreaker, and have the opportunity to steal an opponent's Objective - they rarely expect it!

Kroot are useful in a similar way. A 20-man 145pt squad with a Hound and Snipers can re-roll Outflank, and drop 40 AP6 Bolter shots on anything they Outflank into. Again, throw Markerlights down and simply let the volume of shots kill them opponent.
Old 01 Apr 2014, 03:26   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Okay so I took out the snipers and 4 firewarriors to add two 15 man squads of kroot with a hound for add troop versatility and also gave my commander MSSS and took out his fusion blasters.

But to address the fact that this is not just an anti-tank and anti-air. Its is also anti-infantry. Though it may not seem at first glance. The primary targets of the riptide are heavy infantry and infantry and light armoured vehicles. While broadsides targeting primarily medium infantry and light armoured tanks. They both fulfill anti-air as their secondary role. My crisis suits of course are anti-tank. And all my troops are medium and light infantry. And my pathfinders playing a deceptive role seeing as most my army is twin link with the exception of my troops and more often than not I will be over charging my Ion Accelerators. I use markerlights for all their given bonus of course like every tau player just I made this list it doesn't rely on them as much as other lists. My goal here was to try and make an all around list which I think I did a pretty good job of doing that.