Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Recent Changes to the Enclave Access
Old 07 Jan 2010, 22:52   #21 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: Recent Changes to the Enclave Access

Quite so, and you should be applauded for your efforts. I didnt mean it to sound like I was saying "I help new people, give me Karma." What I ment was, whos to say what matters for Karma? Things like NAVARROS Phantom Titan, took years of his life to finish, and it wasnt even his Titan, that deserves Karma, but is it any more deserving than the guys who don't have his level of skill? Or Circus' ability to write amazing fluff for example? There are many people like myself who simply can't do these things, modelling, painting, tacticas etc, that score the Karma points, so what are we to do with this new ruling of X posts and X Karma for enclave.

Like i said, in over 1000 posts, nothing I said, debated, or posted pics of was good enough to get Karma, so now, despite all that I have tried to do, Im to be cut off from the enclave.

Although I have been given my "Entrance Fee" as it stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2010, 23:12   #22 (permalink)
Shas'O

I have never posted fluff to the site or even done a fraction of the amazing things some of our members have. To be frank, my level of painting will never be up to the Golden Daemon wins that some of our member have under their belts (curious if you guys know about them really, some don't post any more or even posted their winning work here...).

It is hard though to not be able to do all that stuff, but the life blood and basis of the website is on the shoulders of posters like you and I whom are solid, even if we're not remarkably talented posters in the ways you're describing.

Much of my karma has come from recalling and producing information at the right time that I've gathered from the net or books over the years or just personal playing experience. Nothing special, but again, just solid posting habits. :P

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2010, 03:19   #23 (permalink)
Shas'El

So what happens to people like me?

The negative karma is from back in 2005, when I smiley spammed. I'll admit it was well deserved, but since then I've done nothing that merited a karma point and have become more of a lurker in more recent times.

"Sometimes, I'm embarrassed to be your friend..."
Shas O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:16   #24 (permalink)
Ethereal

That is precisely what I was aiming for when I came up with these rules - this website is a wargaming forum. Not a watered down version of 4chan / Something aweful. The enclave and it's smaller boards are a privelege, not a right. They are an extra award for contributing to the forum.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:45   #25 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster Tuner (FT)
I think you've got the karma system as it is currently being applied a little skewed. The first point of karma is essentially the "encouragement karma" for members who show willingness to help their fellow members, whether or not that's an essay or just some general pointers on how to paint a Tau better.
This whole "encouragement karma" concept sounds rather wishy-washy at best. I'd be interested to know, for instance, what the concrete difference is between a post that is worthy of normal karma and a post that is worthy only of "encouragement karma." I bet that if we asked ten different moderators that question, we'd get ten completely different and inconsistent answers.

Therefore, the idea that this method of "encouragement karma" is some kind of objective method of distinguishing between members that are worthy of the Enclave and members that aren't is utterly absurd. You've even acknowledged this yourself by saying that if you (in your own subjective opinion) consider a member worthy of the Enclave, you'll give him the necessary karma point anyway!

Furthermore, given the fact that we now know from the objective evidence that the Enclave is in fact about as small relative to the rest of the forum as it ever has been, I'd be interested to know why there is a need for these measures anyway.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 01:02   #26 (permalink)
Ethereal

The difference between encouragemnet karma and regular karma, as far as I am concerened, is that encouragement karma is handed out when it is a "maybe" moment. If one of their posts is teetering on getting a karma point in comparison with those who gain them after the first then I'd reward one. It is not a freebie karma point at all.

Quote:
Therefore, the idea that this method of "encouragement karma" is some kind of objective method of distinguishing between members that are worthy of the Enclave and members that aren't is utterly absurd.
How is it absurd? The entire point between introducing the karma point is encourage a more solid piece of contribution to the forum rather than the suggestion that you can spam your way to the 250.

Quote:
Furthermore, given the fact that we now know from the objective evidence that the Enclave is in fact about as small relative to the rest of the forum as it ever has been, I'd be interested to know why there is a need for these measures anyway.
Becuase it is still too big. I know - I moderate it. And as I said before, this forum is a wargaming forum. The enclave should be thought of as a green room, a place to relax after you've given your contribution for the day. Not in replacement to the main part of the forum and turning the rest of the 40k boards into a place that you just hop into when you fancy a nosey.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2010, 01:21   #27 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Quote:
The difference between encouragemnet karma and regular karma, as far as I am concerened, is that encouragement karma is handed out when it is a "maybe" moment. If one of their posts is teetering on getting a karma point in comparison with those who gain them after the first then I'd reward one. It is not a freebie karma point at all.
Its for maybe moments. Ok fair enough. As a Mod, can u see what I got my Encouragement Karma for? Tell me if its a maybe moment.

The idea that its hard to get to 250 posts and NOT get Karma is laughable, i got to over 1000 posts, all apparently Spam.

Dont get me wrong SILK, I have every respect for what you and the other Mods, GMods and FT have to do to keep this place going, and to keep us all regulated when we go off on a tangent, and I applaude you all for your efforts, but i think the suggested systems for access simply doesn't take into account alot of things.

Raise the post count to 400 or something, nobody is going to spam there way to 400 without being noticed by the Mods. But bringing a Karma requirement into it is suggesting that Karma is a reflection of that persons worth here. And while most of the current Enclavites have much Karma to go around, not all of us are so lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2010, 05:50   #28 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Lonely Tau

Damn, I feel like an old man looking at this topic again :P

I had a nice long response to this but then realized that it didn't really make sense, so I'm going to attempt to be brief. Back when I had my primary profile (member number 2222) there was a point where The Enclave part of the forum was getting more posts than the 40k part of the forums. I'm pretty sure this was around mid to late 2007, and originally that was why I supported the Post Minimum for entrance into the Enclave, we were simply being spammed out of our minds, I literally can recall several people who joined solely for the Enclave, didn't even play 40k or any of that jazz. Being part of a wargaming forum and not the other way around, you should be able to understand why this isn't exactly acceptable. Now I didn't see any numbers afterward but judging from how much easier my job got as a mod I reasonably assumed that we had fixed the problem (albeit, temporarily from the sounds of this thread).

So now I just have to ask, is the Enclave getting bloated again and we actually need this boost or is it just one of those ideas that sounds good on paper? You know something I just thought of that could be interesting...each month we should have FT give us statistics on the activity of every board overall, that way as a community we can decide on what course of action to take, if any. Hell, we should start with a comparison of when we started the post minimum and now to see how that goes. I will agree on the definite action bit though, the Rules should be enforced as such regardless of how much we like or dislike a certain member.

On the karma bit though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne

Its for maybe moments. Ok fair enough. As a Mod, can u see what I got my Encouragement Karma for? Tell me if its a maybe moment.

The idea that its hard to get to 250 posts and NOT get Karma is laughable, i got to over 1000 posts, all apparently Spam.
1) Just look at the bold and say I can't laugh at that.
2) Hey bub, I was at a good 1,600 before I got my first encouragement karma, I hold the record :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Harbinger
Also one thing about Karma is it is ridiculously inconsistent. I have seen small pictures some one drew in 5 minutes on paint get Karma when some tacticas/ really well painted minis don't. There needs to be a more consistent use of it.
Have you tried using the "Report to Moderator" function? It is for good and bad, so if you see a tactica or a mini that deserves some moderator attention then give it a whirl, don't take the "somebody else will do it" crowd mentality. Moderators don't have their eyes everywhere, so any bit you can do to help is appreciated.
Originally Posted by coolmule
I wear a y'xa'uuk pretty dress, suggestively tilt my tankard of beer, and it's all "bet this" and "persuasion that". Mianko wakes up, grabs a photo, and everyone's mesmerized. What the y'xa'uk do I have to do to earn affection????
Hey baby, what're you doing this weekend? :-*
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmule
Tiwaz is my new forum favourite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
This is the kind of man who has to shave out eyes and a nose every morning before work. :P
Lonely Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2010, 07:09   #29 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Well, with this new policy, you have just destroyed that ethos. Karma now means more than just personal pride. Now it buys you privilege - namely access to a very substantial separate board. You have opened the door to elitism and all the other such negative traits which plague so many other internet forums. This was never what karma was intended to be used for, and it is very sad to see it being used for this purpose.
Exactly. Needless to say I strongly disagree with this change as well. Not only is it pointless, but you'll lose members over it.

Apparently, though, that seems to be exactly the intended effect. People like me simply aren't wanted because, for whatever reason, you guys have got it into your heads that the Enclave crowd is solely responsible for everything wrong with your forum, and simple coexistence is just out of the question now.

If you're dead set on fixing this supposed "problem" then I say cut the ****ing crap and just delete the Enclave and all of it's child boards. It's a much better idea than turning it into a "privilege" and granting access to only the elite few who have proven themselves "worthy". Because that's just what this site needed, more elitism, more favorites...more reasons to simply call it quits and move on to greener pastures/other forums with less of a "Heil fuhrer!" feel to them.

Quote:
Becuase it is still too big. I know - I moderate it. And as I said before, this forum is a wargaming forum. The enclave should be thought of as a green room, a place to relax after you've given your contribution for the day. Not in replacement to the main part of the forum and turning the rest of the 40k boards into a place that you just hop into when you fancy a nosey.
So you're pretty much turning TO membership into a part-time job then.

lol...no thanks. I post 40k content when I feel I have something worth posting, and if that's not good enough for you (it clearly isn't since you basically described me in that paragraph) then I'll just find another forum that doesn't mind having me around, I guess. Dakka doesn't seem to care one way or the other, and I find Dakka is a better place to get my 40k fix anyway, and hell, even there I mostly only post in the Discussions and Rumors forum because the actual lists and tactical advice there are garbage (I go to yet another website if I want some real 40k advice). I'm a casual player in the extreme, I almost never get to play because it's about an hour's drive to the nearest store and the only guy I ever get to play is my brother. And we each only have one army, so those would be some pretty boring battle reports. In other words, I don't play enough for my tactical advice to be worth a shit, I don't really know or care enough about the fluff to write fan fiction, and I'm not the best painter and actually haven't painted anything for a very long time. I don't really have much at all to contribute, so I guess I'm just wasting space.

Anyway, like I've said, I think it's just a bad idea all around, and it's not going to change anything. You can't force people to post 40k-related content if they don't want to or just can't (I know I for one couldn't force myself to write an article a day about it). Not only that but I think you're greatly exaggerating the Enclave "problem", or just looking for someone to blame.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2010, 09:24   #30 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't really understand why there is a problem in the first place. Ok, so you don't want people signing up just to use the Enclave. That's fine, but seeing as how without the necessary number of posts it's impossible to even see the Enclave I really doubt anyone now-a-days signs up just to use the Enclave.

So... um... what's the big deal? The Enclave has too many boards and is bigger and more expansive than other areas on the site? Then, you know, get rid of some of the boards. The Science and Technology Board never really goes anywhere, neither does the Artwork board for that matter. If you don't like them, remove them. They are the problem, not the people why use them. This seems like another way to demonise those who use the Enclave for no apparent reason other than elitism. And yes, it is elitism.

When I first joined this site I cared a lot about 40K, but I didn't know what I was doing, I was young and I never really played, I couldn't write for feth and I couldn't (and still can't) paint either. I was not in any kind of state to contribute to the site, but I never got attacked for not doing so. Then when I started hanging about in the Enclave more I actually did start contributing to the site. I wrote reviews in the music board when it was introduced, I wrote fun stories in the Enclave, I tried working on projects, and it felt good to be helping where I could. That's right, I actually contributed far more to this site through the Enclave than through the 40K areas. I have 19 positive karma and one smite that I personally asked for and according to the karma log the only bits of karma I ever earned in the 40K sections was for doing well in those quiz things.

For me, that is good enough. I am happy that I could contribute to the site and help the people here, even if it wasn't in the manner you maybe wanted me to contribute in. But this seems like a way to essentially attack people like me who have done so, by saying that the contributions I have made are far less worthy and important than the contributions others have made just because theirs dealt with 40K whilst mine were album reviews or something else. I find that quite insulting frankly, just as much time and effort went into the things I produced.
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Tim the Tau is offline   Reply With Quote