View Single Post
Old 27 Aug 2008, 21:14   #2 (permalink)
AuinMyrrath
Shas'O

Default Re: Entry G - Eclipse: Crystalline Ocean

Despite firing a split second shot from his right revolver just as he pulled it free, Jasairis took care to aim for his former lover’s head. No hesitation. The weapon bucked reassuringly against the bare skin of his hand, dispensing an accurate shot with a thunderous crack that boomed in his ears.

Iylia easily ducked at the last possible moment, the bullet streaking overhead as she darted forward in a crouched run. Before Jasairis could even realign his aim, she pulled her free hand off the hilt of her sword. Instead, extending both of her hands out before her, despite the couple of feet still separating the dueling pair just out of arm‘s reach. It soon proved that distance wasn‘t an issue for the priestess, the slender pair of short swords she had concealed in her sleeves suddenly slipping from either of her arms neatly into the palms of her hands. Without a second thought she lunged out with both, wedging her left blade into his still smoldering revolver, splitting it into two halves; her right thrusting for his throat.

Instinct overrode Jasairis’ surprise and he instantly fell backwards into a roll. A muttered curse slipping from his lips as he caught the muzzle half of his stricken pistol disappearing under the swaying grass in the corner of his eye, but forced himself to ignore it. At the moment, he had to gain distance.

Iylia watched her strike fly passed its intended target; no bother though, she had expected such. With a predatory glint, she eyed Jasairis as he rolled some ways before flipping to his feet. Once more she shot forward, exerting all her breath into an ear cringing scream before leaping high overhead.

The priestess seemed to hang in midair for a fleeting second, straightening herself before beginning her inevitable descent in a downward spiral. She crossed her swords into an “X” as she did so, once more singling out Jasairis’ throat as she closed distance.

Even so, he remained stationary, grudgedly tossing his broken weapon away, hastily holstering its whole counterpart while bracing for impact. This was it, a sole chance, a narrow window of opportunity. His muscles involuntarily tensed, his adrenaline was flowing, and he vainly attempted to control the heaving in his chest.

“Hah!” Iylia bellowed against the gust, breaking out of her spiral as she swiped her blades for a clean decapitation.

A resounding clash of steel on steel rang out through Uridene, piercing the silence, tearing through the breeze with a lingering echo.

The ever flowing stream of time, that never stagnated, stopped in that instant, or slowed to the point of nigh being stationary. There they were, in the very center of this paradox, their eyes locked with one another‘s, exchanging a thousand unspoken words in an instant. Even the wind had fallen upon now death ears.

Jasairis had a foot entrenched behind his stance to compensate for the sheer force of her attack, leaving a trail of gouged dirt where he was slowly skidding back. A shower of sparks littered the air from where his inactivated power sword “Eclipse” , had parried both of her short blades. The muscles in his arms bunched with effort, desperately pushing themselves to their limits to turn Iylia’s full bodyweight in another direction. Though in the end, it was a vain attempt, for she had budged only slightly with her gained momentum.

Whatever spell that had been cast upon these mortals, these cursed lovers, in one moment, shattered.

Iylia, somehow still in mid-air, shifted her strength into her arms, effortlessly breaking the deadlock with a graceful leap overhead, allowing Jasairis to stumble drunkenly forward. Exploiting his weakened stance, she fell into a straight dive, arms pointed downward.

He didn’t even have to look over his shoulder, already calculating Iylia’s position by her growing shadow against wild grass. He didn’t even stop to recover his balance, instead letting his body fall into another roll, narrowly escaping the kill zone.

Judging she was well within range, no sooner did Jasairis raise himself into a kneeling position did he slice through the breeze behind him with a swift uppercut.

But air would be all the blade would clove, Iylia masterfully somersaulting over the power sword and over Jasairis himself in the blink of an eye. Her gleeful smile stretching wider as she felt the tip graze the cloth of her shirt round her stomach, but failed to pierce it.

A fluid dodge that no normal body that seemed to deny gravity.

“Great.” Jasairis mumbled under his breath. But despite his situation, his adrenaline driven mind failed to feel worried about it, such an evasive maneuver failed to go unanticipated. He whirled his blade round in perfect sync with his spin to face his opponent just as she landed and before his mind could register his next move, he swiped his two handed sword for a swift decapitation.

The strike found moss infested wood instead as Iylia avoided the fatal blow with a quick duck. A grinding scrape following suit as the power sword effortlessly carved through the hardened bark of the ancient redwood tree, such was the strength behind it.

Spotting her chance, Iylia sprung forward out her crouch, once more stabbing out for a weak spot in her opponent’s defense with wild and random thrusts. The knowing smirk on her lips contorted with effort as she struck out.

Jasairis braced himself as Ilyia’s offense hit home. The priestess attempted a broad arched swing of left blade, destined for his temple. He automatically jerked backwards in response, reversing his previous swing back to parry it. He couldn’t help but smirk at Iylia’ sudden scowl of frustration as her strike was deflected outright. Her arm ricocheted off of Eclipse in the sheer force of the impact and she hurriedly pitched herself to the right, thudding hard off the forest floor to avoid Jasairis‘ momentous swipe. But she wasn’t so careless to leave herself in a position of vulnerability.

Landing on her hands and the very tips of her toes, Iylia was able to immediately recover with a quick leap onto her feet. Almost instantly retaliating with a lightning stab of her right sword to his lower ribcage.

Jasairis spun to his left, narrowly avoiding the thrust that ripped into the thick, matt black hide of his leather jacket. Somehow, the blow had completely gutted his right pocket and disgorged the packet of cigars and the pocket lighter from its stomach. His eyes wondered over the gaping, bloodless wound in the fabric of his coat a split second before banishing the thoughts to the corners of his mind. But that split second was all she needed.

There was a sickening, gut wrenching tear that followed suit.

He felt his clothes dampen with flowing stream warm, oozing liquid originating in the lower left side of his ribcage. His muscles seized up in an instant, suddenly contracting with a crippling pain that seemed to have occurred out of nowhere. His breath immediately shortened in incessant, ragged gasp as it abruptly became difficult for his lungs to accomplish a regular inhale of fresh, forest air. His stance seemed to waver, though he remained upright while trying to blink away his swirling vision.

More out of reflex than skill, Jasairis’ left hand unconsciously shot out; clamping round her wrist and holding in place to limit the damage. He gnashed his teeth through a contorting expression of paralyzing agony; exerting his effort into stifling a feral roar of pain.

Jasaris had lowered his defense for only a split second, and had been dealt a punishing blow in return for his foolishness. Reluctantly, he let his head dip for a second to bear witness to the twin blade imbedded deep into his ribcage, its blood soaked tip protruding from his back. The sensation was surprisingly nauseating, that first experience all warriors are destined to share at one point along their lives. Even so, he had never been stabbed before, but then when he thought about it , he had never faced an opponent such as Iylia either.

As if just a fleeting thought of her was enough to goad the priestess, Iylia smiled her triumph; saying nothing as she lessened the grip on the short sword that had inflicted the wound onto her love. Jasairis was too frozen with the shock to contest her movement and she effortlessly jerked her hand free from his grasp. Instead of delivering a killing blow, Iylia merely stepped back in a calm demeanor, measuring up her handy work with an enthusiastic eye. Jasairis responded with a light headed fall to his knees, only able to watch as that same smile abruptly fade into a frown of disappointment.

“Hmmm…I would’ve expected you to pass out by now…” Iylia suddenly mumbled to herself, her words nearly lost to Jasairis’ ears in the midst of a renewed gust of wind sweeping pass. Really, the fact that the man was still glaring at her reported the fact that she had failed to hit anything vital at all. Such a blaring error, Despite it, she felt a sudden need to boast anyway “It seems you can’t kill me, not yet, my love. Though I must admit, you had me on edge for a moment. But alas, the inevitable has come to pass…”

The priestess paused in her speech to take a step forward into her previous position, descending into a submissive kneel to come face to face to Jasairis. That malice, that hint of insanity that had overwhelmed her expression just moments ago, had vanished. It was now replaced with a soft, worrisome stare, complemented with watery eyes that pierced Jasairis’ very soul. Wordlessly, she flipped her free short blade down before stabbing it deep into the forest floor by her side.

Feeling secure enough to draw closer, Iylia planted a gentle hand upon his cheek, messaging it lovingly as she gazed into the endless depths of Jasairis’ hazel brown eyes. She sighed breathlessly in response, relishing the feeling of rushing adrenaline flooding free from her body; her muscles unwinding in a new sense of calm. “Tell me, are you done? Is this game over? Is it time for me to bask in my victory, to claim my prize?”

If Jasairis had attempted to respond, Iylia failed to decipher a word through the mouthful of blood spewed from Jasairis’ mouth; nearly splattering her clothes in the process. A series of slow, hard intakes of breath and hoarse coughs followed suit and the priestess gave him a comforting pat on the shoulder.

“There there, love.”

Jasairis vainly attempted to focus his swirling vision with the common method of blinking furiously. Though he was forced to stop some seconds later as it continued to grow worse. He felt his bowel rise with a nauseating feeling in his gut as he continued to perceive the world through an ocean of forest colors.

“Disappointing.” Iylia displayed her discontent with a depressed frown, keeping her hand on his shoulder as she swept its opposite through his hair. “You’re leaving me dancing alone out here; I’m in no mood for solos.”

Her words fell upon deaf ears when Jasairis clamped his eyes shut, remaining stationary to limit the explosive jolts of agony from his weeping wound. Ilyia’s voice resembled more of a distant whisper evaporating in the wind under the hard thuds of his beating heart. For the moment, he was solely occupied on recollecting himself.

There was an occasional chirp sang high in the labyrinth of branches of Uridene’s trees, shattering the silence that had descended upon the pair once more. Piercing the rushing wind as it flew by. His muscles relaxed at the touch of the refreshingly cool touch of it, allowing it to drown him completely in its renewed fury. Despite the chain of events that had just transpired, he had, for one fleeting moment, experienced just a taste of serenity.

Jasairis forced his eyes open to a lush forest floor, teeming with lush green grass that swayed in the ever flowing stream of wind. The rustling of a thousand leaves echoed their chorus once more from the highest perches in the vast array of various trees. A blanket of ever falling leaves somewhat blurred the holy aura of light raining from a crystal clear sky.

“She’s beautiful, isn’t she?”

Jasairis suddenly realized why he was bearing witness to such a scene, and his gaze shifted only slightly to his right. There she was again, spinning and twirling so gracefully, with only the slightest amount of effort. Only a few feet away, Iylia danced away, so care freely.

“Uridene I mean, I doubt there is another that could hope to match.”

“W-..why?” Jasairis finally managed to gasp out.

Iylia failed to halt in her new found profession. “Why?” She repeated innocently.

“You never told me why?” Jasairis repeated, this time with a sterner edge in his voice.

The priestess slowly grinded to a halt, lifting her gaze towards the sky before mustering a response. “Time passes in the blink of an eye. In time, planets are undone and Gods arise and fall. In time, our lives fly by like a passing wind. I am dying, Jasairis. Within my heart lies a complexity of emotions. I feel distressed, for I have no one to turn, no other paths for me to take. Sometimes I feel like my life should end.”

Iylia paused to spin on her heel, running a hand through her hair as she faced Jasairis with a depressed expression.

“But, then I come to this place of my ancestors, and I remember…Are we not all dying, to know, life, in every breath? Oh Jasairis, our lives are so short, yet so, so sweet. Yet there are so many who live out the duration of their time in this realm, in misery, discontent, displeasure. I don’t want to be the one who had been cheated life to disease. Nor the one who lives isolated and alone. I don’t want to spend my life laboring in work I find undesirable, or in a cause I don’t believe in. I want to accomplish my dreams, do whatever it is I set my mind to. I want to spend what time I have left being…me.”

A smile stretched across Iylia’s lips, not one of malice or insanity. No, this was a tender smile of love, joy, and beauty. Though Jasairis could barely make it out with his dimming vision. He had allowed his wound to bleed freely till the point the was nigh unconscious.

“I’m leaving, Jasairis.” Iylia whispered, almost to herself. “I won’t come back, I’m going to see what lies beyond these borders. I’m going to see the world, for what it truly is. I hear there are a few Slaneesh cults in the northern nations, half way across the world. Maybe I’ll settle down there, but not after a year or two has passed. I wonder, would you follow me across continents?”

“Only if you make me come after you.” Jasairis stated bluntly, exerting what remained of his energy to make the sentence as smooth as possible.

The priestess’ smile widened, giggling light heartedly to herself before turning away from her love. “Don’t worry Jasaris, I’ll be swift, I’ll be gone…”

Ilyia breaking off into a blurred sprint toward the distant horizon was the last thing Jasairis saw before blacking out.

~~~~~~

The wind had died some time ago, leaving a trail of dead silence in its wake. Honestly, it was unnerving, as if the forest life all together had come to an abrupt halt. Not even the birds stayed to sing any longer. It was now only a sole figure that laid face down in the midst of a sea of stagnant grass.

Something moist poked his cheek and he instinctively swatted it away. Only when it responded in an alerted grunt did Jasairis finally stir from his slumber, shooting his gaze upward to meet the eyes of the mammoth buck staring down upon him before hastily taking flight. He merely listened to gallops fade as his mind was instantly flooded with questions.

How long had he slept? It was still daylight, but he could’ve easily been at rest for over a day with his injury. Injury…

With a grunt of effort, Jasairis pushed himself to his knees, running a hand over his wound should have been. His eyes naturally widened when he finally realized it had vanished.

A dream? No, there is no such possibil…

He paused in his thoughts as he caught a sparkle in the grass by his side. Jasairis pushed the foliage aside to reveal a muddied box of cigarettes, two halves of a split, golden revolver, and even a pocket sized lighter lying half concealed before him.

He gave it no other thought, instantly reaching out for the cigar and box and ripping it open before snatching up his lighter. He pulled free a short, fat cigarette, placing it in his mouth before kindling a spark to light it up. Few seconds passed when he lied once more upon the forest floor, exhaling a mouth full of scented smoke.

“So it begins…”

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366