Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

C'tan?
Old 27 Oct 2010, 01:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default C'tan?

Hey, this has been bugging me for some time now. Doesn't C'tan (The guy Necrons serve to) sound like Satan?

C'tan=Satan, think about it, anything else you guys cought that GW was twisting our heads with?
Armadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2010, 09:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadon View Post
Hey, this has been bugging me for some time now. Doesn't C'tan (The guy Necrons serve to) sound like Satan?

C'tan=Satan, think about it, anything else you guys cought that GW was twisting our heads with?
hy yeah c'tan actually means something in accient greek/roman(latin)/or egyption can't remember which one.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

Last edited by maddosammo; 27 Oct 2010 at 12:43.
maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2010, 00:10   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

GW has been doing this for ages. Playing games with names. Look at the Lizardmen Tik'Tak'To. I mean, really? Plus some of the Dark Angles have religious roots. Sammal, (sp?) the Master of the Raven Wing is Sammael, who I believe was one of the Fallen Angels. The Chapter Master, Azrael also has roots in the Christian mythology. I wouldn't be surprised is well over half the IC names have some special meaning to the GW folks. Pets names, friends, religious stuff and whatnot.
Rkreutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2011, 17:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The C'tan are star gods that tricked the necrons to sending their souls inside robots so they could serve the C'tan for all entirnity...
Old 22 Jan 2011, 17:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

greatshaper
the C'tan are only essences of a god wich posses something/someone for a period of time
they literally are
the embodiment of their Gods
lokyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2011, 09:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
greatshaper
the C'tan are only essences of a god wich posses something/someone for a period of time
they literally are
the embodiment of their Gods
nope, they are star-gods, which is still a god when you think about it.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 09:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

then they are VERY weak gods in godlike comparison
i think Gods should have rules leaning against titans
lokyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2011, 10:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
then they are VERY weak gods in godlike comparison
i think Gods should have rules leaning against titans
yes, compared to the chaos gods, the emperor and the eldar gods they arn't that powerful, but they are still gods.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 04:58   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The C'tan are like gods who soley exist and can only effect the material realm. They have no connection/influence to the immaterial realm (the warp/chaos/physic realm/hell whatever you wish to call it) infact the powers of the warp greatly hurts and flat out kills the C'tan. This is why the old ones engineered the Eldar to be great psykers. Where before all they could do was destroy the metal body of a C'tan (which was just a minor inconvinence for it as it waited to 'download' to a new body) hitting a C'tan with a psychic based attack would actually do real damage.
ldarkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2011, 10:43   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ok, where the heck are you getting this? As a Necron player who uses both the Deceiver and the Night Bringer, and having read the lore on them, where the Hell are you getting this information? They aren't really "gods" then again, you can make the argument that nothing in WH 40k is an actual "god" but that's neither here nor there. The C'Tan were energy beings who mindlessly fed on stars without a conscious awareness of other sentient life. The Necrontyr found one feeding off their star (the Night Bringer to be exact) and by unknown means communicated with it, and made it a host of living metal. Blah blah blah, they worshiped it, and the other C'Tan, blah blah blah, they made a deal/were tricked (it's not clear which) into becoming the Necrons. C'Tan ate, ate, ate, almost picked the universe clean, the Night Bringer and the Outside was tricked by the Deceiver and the Laughing God (respectively) into eating other C'Tan until only four were left (It's unconfirmed if the Deceiver or the Void Dragon took part in such acts.) Three of them (assumed that the Void Dragon did too) went into stasis. And I will give you a bit of info about the four remaining ones.

The Night Bringer - Most voracious of the C'Tan, the Night Bringer was the first, and most vicious of the C'Tan. Though not confirmed we can assume he was the most personal in his consumption, as it's phrased "Primordial fear of the Nightbringer had been imprinted upon the collective psyche of many more races than it could ever hace fed upon. It had become the personification of death in every species' racial memory, the terror of mortality its parting gift to the galaxy." Now that's some power. And some evil right there. (Btw, it seems the Krork's escaped such a fate somehow. And our beloved Tau since they probably didn't exist yet.) The Night Bringer was awoken by a series of events, but to sum it up, blame the Ultramarines.

The Deciever - As his name suggests he's manipulative. I know, really hard to catch isn't it? But there's really not that much to say about him that I haven't said already. He seems to be a lot smarter than the Night Bringer (and likely the Outsider too.) He was awoken from his sleep an unknown time ago and has been playing in the universe ever since. All the C'Tan are named in an Eldar prophecy, and all are named normally (the Outsider, the Dragon, and the Master of Death), but for some reason the Deciever is called the Jackal god.

The Void Dragon - The Void Dragon has power over all machines. He presumably went into stasis as well, but awoke well before the others, ten thousand years ago to be exact. He was imprisoned by the Emperor in Mars, under the Noctis Labrynth. He's now worshiped (also was worshiped before his imprisonment (at least indirectly)) by the Machine Cult. I could go more in depth into the minute details of that relationship but I'm lazy.

The Outsider - He's crazy. For lack of a better term, he is "Bat shit crazy". Not much is known about him, but when the other three went into stasis, he left the known universe (it's possible he went into stasis then left, but that's not how the information seems to read.) He's for told to return, and that people take their own lives rather than have to look upon him. (I've gotta say, if that's true I'm not looking forward to painting him.)

Ok, well that was a long shpeel that probably three people will read if I'm lucky. But I'll just leave you with this last bit. The Eldar are smart, right? They know the threats of Chaos and such? Well then, keep in mind they still think the C'Tan are also a huge threat... Yeah, whatcha think of that?
NerdExtrodinare is offline   Reply With Quote