Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

the star wars empire vs the imperium
Old 18 Jul 2010, 05:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default the star wars empire vs the imperium

somehow this came up when me and my buddy were talking. he beleaves that the star wars empire could defeat the imperium under the terms that neither nation had any hinderence the empire has no rebels the imperium has no chaos or xeno. like as if a portal opened up beetween time. i beleave that the imperium could defeat the empire but he mentions crap like storm troopers are endless... well so are imperial gaurd. could someone help me with this???
Old 18 Jul 2010, 13:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: the star wars empire vs the imperium

Easy, the imperium, in a fleet fight the ships of the imperium may be old but they are good and would destroy a starwars fleet with contemptious ease. Also 40K can destroy a planet with a missile it takes the star wars world a huge battle station to do it. And also there are so many guardsman that they would outnumber stormtroopers.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 15:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

his entire argument about how the empire would win is based around the fact the star wars empire is united and the imperium is seperated. also there ships travel at lioghtspeed with ease to where imperial ships have to mess with warp space.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 18:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

It depends on the writers on which era of the star wars empire you're talking about.

If you're talking about the era of star wars in movie 4 than the 40k universe will have the upper hand. But if you go to when the empire was born or even after movie 6 the empire was more powerful tech and weapon wise.

During movies 4-6 besides weapons like at-ats, star destroyers, super star destroyers, and death stars the empire focused on over whelming an enemy by sheer numbers rather than going by quality.

The only enemy the empire had was black sun, rebels, pirates, smugglers, and so forth. So they had no need to make their army better. the weapons they did have was solely to remind the people under the empires yoke the meaning of fear aka world eaters, star destroyers, death stars etc.

40k empire have to fight many differant forces that is just as powerful as them. So technology like space marines have to be really high to combat differant threats.

A unified empire is really impossible due to the fact it's ruled by fear and cause of it's nature people would want to rebel or not fight at 100%.

But with the critera given I'll say 40k would win in a quick conflict but the star wars empire would win in a long drawn out conflict. The 40k humans can't really suffer to lose land raiders, marines, big star ships. While on the other hand the empire don't suffer unless you take out a super star destroyer or a death star.

Also the death star is an ace for the empire. The 40k universe have weapons that can wipe all life from a planet and destroy a planets surface but not actually blow a planet up. A death star blows planets up with a laser while a missle can be blown up before it hits it's target.

on the ground a space marine is better than storm troopers even the dark troopers. You'll need Anakin Skywalker to take out a couple of space marines while Darth Vader may have some trouble with a few marines.

Land raider vs at-at would be interestingfight to see.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 01:27   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

cyclonic torpedoes can blow up half of planets and could easily blow up suck a small moon such as a death star
Old 19 Jul 2010, 05:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

star Wars planet Killers:

Centerpoint station (Expanded Universe)
Galaxy Gun (EU)
Mass Shadow Generator (EU)
Eclipse-class Star Destroyer (EU)
Sovereign-class Star Destroyer (EU)
Sun Crusher (EU)
World Devastator (EU)
The Death Stars
Darth Nihilus (EU)
The Old Republic/Imperial order Base Delta Zero, also known as BDZ (EU)
Yo'gand's Core

Human 40k planet destroying weapons
The Imperium's means of carrying out an order of Exterminatus, including:
Virus Bombs
Cyclonic Torpedoes
Orbital Bombardment
Three Blackstone Fortress or more can destroy a star
One Blackstone Fortress can destroy a planet

Orbital bombardment only kills life on the surface.

Cyclonic torpedoes can ignite a planets atmosphere with a blast large enough to be seen from space. So it might dent the death star if it get past the sheilds.

Two-Stage torpedoes basically drill to the core of the planet to destroy it. So it will have to get through shields and drill to the death star core to destroy it.

Or a viral bomb might be able to do it.

All the weapons mentioned for 40k can destroy life on a planet but only one can actually destroy a planet but it has to drill to the center while the death star can destroy one in a second.

After doing research I'm more convinced that star wars would actually win if you count the books on top of the movies.
Old 05 Dec 2010, 17:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well...
The (star wars) empire has a alot of guys with plastic armour
A decent-sized fleet
the death star (although that got destroyed, twice)
A reasonably big empire
some other stuff

The Imperium has...
imperial guard (and theres alot of them!)
space marines
deamonhunters and witchhunters (although they tend to deal with heretic, deamons and what not)
Psykers
some nasty weaponary
the imperial fleet

and I think if the star wars guys were to come to the 40k galaxy they would have to get past tyranids, chaos, orks and all those other aliens that keep out the tourists.
Greatshaper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2010, 22:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In a space battle, I like to think the Empire will win. 1 Star Destroyer= 1 Strike Cruiser in power, except there's probably more Star Destroyers. 1 Super Star Destroyer= 5 Battle Barges, again more Supper Star Destroyers. They Also have the Sun Crusher (Virtually indestructable), Eclipse class Star Dreadnaught (one shot from its laser will take out all life on a planet if I remember). 2 Death Stars, The Galaxy Gun, Tarkin Instilation, World Devastators and possibly more (there just what I can think of now).

On the ground, I think of the Standard storm trooper = A Tau Fire Warrior. They both have full body armour (I don't know about the Taus, but a Stormtroopers is meant to protect frome bassilic attacks (bulletproof I mean, If thats not the right word). Their blasters shot give the impression of doing more damage than a Lasgun and I always thought that they would probably do the similar amounts of damage as a pulse rifle or any plasma based weapons. AT-ATs are very sterdy, as someone written before, a fight with a land raider would be interesting, AT-STs are surely better than a sentinal (based on size and armour plating).
angrySCORCH62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2010, 00:46   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The thing to remember is that the actually effectiveness of the weapons in 40K is overshadowed by the utter ridiculousness of the setting. The poor, abused lasgun is actually powerful enough to shoot someone's arm off and guard flak armour can shrug that off. It's just that it pales in comparison to all the other stuff that is in the universe. Given the literally billions of Guardsmen the Imperium could bring to bare, never mind the millions of Space Marines, Sisters of Battle and sundry other elite forces, on the ground I'd give the advantage to the Imperium. After all, an AT-AT is impressive, but a Imperator-class Titan could punt one across the battlefield.

And squaring up the fleets is going to be tricky. Scale in BFG and most of the books that mention imperial ships is notoriously wonky. But even if we go off the more conservative estimates you've still got Imperial Cruisers that stack up one to one with Star Destroyers. On the bigger scales things like Emperor-class battleships could probably go toe to toe with the SSDs. There aren't any hard and fast figures for the actual size of the fleets of the Imperium of Man, but given the area that it covers it has to be more or less on par with the Empire. So things could either be evenly matched or slightly in favor of the Empire.

And while there are plenty of impressive superweapons in the Empire's arsenal, all of them are notoriously poorly designed and can only be in one place at a time. Yes, the Empire has weapons that can destroy worlds outright, but just about any Imperial fleet that includes at least one battleship is capable of carrying out Exterminatus. So if it comes down to a war of genocide, the Imperium can just do it faster. And like I said, those super weapons are notoriously poorly constructed. With the exception of the Sun Crusher, all of them were destroyed by the under equipped and outnumbered Rebel saboteurs. Imagine what a few squads of Terminators could do to them?

The basic problem is that 40K is significantly more GRIMDARK and over the top than Star Wars is. The Imperium of Man has much more experience in all out, balls to the wall warfare against things that would shred the sanity of anyone in the Star Wars 'verse. I give it to the Imperium just from experience and an ability to absorb losses.

Though odds are what would happen would be that a team of Grey Knights or Custodes would go and take out the heretic Emperor and then the IoM and the Empire would ally and proceed to genocide the alien species of the Star Wars verse. Their basic ideologies are remarkably similar after all. The IoM just takes a more religious approach to it.

Edit: Here's an example of the extreme end of the scale differential:

Last edited by NotSoSavvy; 16 Dec 2010 at 00:57.
NotSoSavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2010, 17:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoSavvy View Post
Yes, the Empire has weapons that can destroy worlds outright, but just about any Imperial fleet that includes at least one battleship is capable of carrying out Exterminatus. So if it comes down to a war of genocide, the Imperium can just do it faster.
A Star Destroyer can wipe out a planet's surface in a few hours, It's called a base delta zero. Three Star Destroyers have been used to do this before.

The rarer blasters were plasma based, like those used by the GAR.

The less common GAR blasters were plasma based, and in the 40K universe a plasma weapon is more powerfull than a Lasgun.

The regular blasters shot a high energy particle beam that was more deadly to humanoids and other biological targets than superheated plasma.

I would also like to point out that the 2nd DS wasn't badly designed when destroyed, It was just not finished so it's core was easier to reach. If it was finished,, then the rebels would struggle to destroy it.
angrySCORCH62 is offline   Reply With Quote