Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Who knows about Knights? (and not the Rosen variety)
Old 22 May 2010, 20:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Who knows about Knights? (and not the Rosen variety)

Ok I don't have their rules from epic/titanicus so all I have to go by is Lexicanum & it states that Knights are armed with a single Titan class weapon (vulcan mega bolter, plasma blastgun, turbo laser destructor, & inferno gun). Is this true & if it is do you know the classes? Of course if it isn't is it cool to take artistic license & run some like this anyways? Reason is I was writing a story & I wanted to include a squad of a dozen Knights, 3 of each weapon.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2010, 21:19   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Who knows about Knights? (and not the Rosen variety)

The information you have is not entirely accurate; the most common Knight is the "Paladin" variant, armed with a long-barelled battlecannon and a giant chainsword. Others sport large meltagun style weapons, but I've never seen one packing a plasma blastgun!

Mechanicum likewise does not state they use Titan weapons, and this is the only 'modern' piece of fluff that involves Knights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2010, 06:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I personally disagree with Wargamer's assessment of Knights in Mechanicum, but agree that they aren't close to full blown Titan weapons (I still feel the descriptions are far past most of the old fluffs weapons though). They are still able to deal with a number of armored foes, with numbers on their side, quite well. They did have issues/complete lack of use against anything larger than a Warhound, mainly fighting smaller things.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2010, 10:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think the best way to assess what a knight could hold is to ask could it be mounted on a bane blade. If the weapon is too big then chances are it is also too big for the knight
Old 23 May 2010, 14:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hmm, so it sounds like Knights just have an upsized version of weapons found on Leman Russes or a melta cannon like what's on the Devil Dog in addition to a Dreadnought (or Titan?) CCW. That'll work for the story I've got. I didn't really need a full blown Titan weapon anyways, like I said it'll involve a "squad" of Knights.

So is it safe to say that there's an "Executioner" version? I've got a scene in my head that kinda only works with a plasma weapon.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Old 23 May 2010, 21:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well fluff says that Knights are known for carrying vulcan mega bolters (Stormlord) and titan hunter Volcano cannons (Shadowsword) so by the same logic it wouldn't take too much of a stretch in imagination to see knight carrying a Stormblade's Plasma Blastgun, which also happens to be the plasma gun mounted on a Warhound
Old 24 May 2010, 08:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well it doesn't have to be on the same scale as a plasma blastgun. In fact a happy middle between blastgun & executioner cannon works perfectly. Anyone Know if there's any other classes besides Paladins?

Old 24 May 2010, 11:29   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

There were once many classes. However, this is sadly one area where I have little information. I am sure there was a 'Baron' class Knight (the one with the bloody huge melta), but Paladins were by far the most common.

If you want to go by the original fluff, then I can help you there.

Human Knights came in three varieties: Paladin, Lancer and Warden.

Paladins were armed with a Battlecannon, close combat weapon and Shock Lance.
Lancers were armed with a Lascannon, Multi-laser and Shock Lance.
Wardens carried a Battlecannon and a pair of Multi-Lasers.

Note that the weapons loadout may not sound impressive, but in those days Epic was only really just getting going, and 40K had not yet developed many of the larger guns we know of today - what we know today as "Turbo Lasers" were still called Lascannons, meaning that Titans of Adeptus Titanicus sound woefully under-gunned compared to modern rulesets!

In addition to the weapons listed, all Knights carried a shield. This was an energy barrier projected in a slanted 180[sup]o[/sup] arc. To use 'clock face' bearings, the shield covers from just past 7 to just past 1. This may seem strange, but on a Paladin at least it makes sense - the left side of the Knight carries the close combat weapon.

As to the Lance, it is a form of shock weapon. The original rules gave it two 6cm diameter templates (keeping in mind a single Infantryman is 4mm tall in Epic!). The first is placed in contact with the Knight, the second touching the 11, 12 or 1 o'clock positions of the first. Infantry had to pass a save or be killed, as did vehicles (though the more Lances that fired together, the lower the save vehicles got to represent massive burnout of their electrical systems) and Titans suffered a Critical Hit if they had no shields, or simply had a shield knocked down if they did have shields.

It is also made clear the Lance is an assault weapon, intended to be fired on the charge. Since recharging it in game was crippling (two turns with no orders given to the unit) it seems to me the Lance is pretty much a one-shot weapon. For reference, Knights on "no orders" did not receive their unusal bonuses to shooting that Titans and similar get, and they cannot move (though may turn 45[sup]o[/sup]). Clearly, trying a recharge in battle makes a Knight vulnerable.

Mechanicum does make one major change to the Knights - their Shields. In Mechanicum, Knights are fitted with Power Fields rather than the shield mentioned above. A Power Field, for reference, is basically a Void Shield that you cannot repair in battle. Once lost, it's gone for the whole fight! I do not recall Mechanicum stating how many Power Fields a Knight had, but I would generally assume two, three at most, given its size.

Now, I shall point out one key thing with the original Knights - they were very confusing in terms of weaponry! There were three Paladins, three Lancers and three Wardens, and none of them had the same equip! I will describe, as best I can, the weapons mounted on each model - this may give you some ideas as to how to equip your own Knights.

Paladins:
#1 - Giant powerfist, giant Multi-melta.
#2 - long-barrelled battlecannon, giant chainsword.
#3 - "crab claw" style close combat weapon, drum-fed autocannon.

Lancers:
#1 - Single large Lascannon mounted on the carapace.
#2 - Laser weapon on the arm, small turret mounted on the carapace.
#3 - Single long-barrelled laser mounted on the arm.

Wardens:
#1 - Two stubby arm weapons (look kind of like Burst Cannons) and a bloody huge multi-launcher on the carapace (that's basically a big missile pod).
#2 - Two tiny "turrets" for arms, and a short, large calibre cannon mounted in the carapace.
#3 - As above, but body is a different shape.

For reference, the "Lance" seems to project from the cockpit of the Knight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2010, 18:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hmm, those would work. So with modernized versions sounds like the Lancer probably would have a single barrel version of the laser destructor & a single shot, slow charging directional EM or ES pulse (or beam weapon?). Does it have a weapon on its second arm like a CCW or something or is it 1 armed similar to a C&C Titan?

Also have you heard of a Baron variant? I read its a command & control Knight but that's it.

Old 25 May 2010, 18:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

they have 2 arms and look like a titan version of a terminator I was able to find some images paladines

edit I found some older images for the other knights

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c...lknights-h.htm

and apparently this is a baron it's just a bigger version of the paladin and carries a herald banner