Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperiums Technology and Ours
Closed Thread
Old 18 May 2010, 03:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Imperiums Technology and Ours

The vast majority of things, and more likely, everything, of the imperiums is vastly technologically superiour to ours on earth. It's supposed to be, it's a sci-fi.

But I've been trying to think of at least 1 thing, just 1, that we can do better. So far zilch.

(I also understand that if something gets created etc on earth that is superior, it'd likely be incoporated into fluff anyway as if they've always had it).

Does anyone have any idea's?
Old 18 May 2010, 03:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Imperiums Technology and Ours

Our technological basis allows for further expansion of ideas and concepts while the Imperial designs are nearly unchanged after rediscovery. I'd say that counts for something, even if its not really technology as a physical thing.
Old 18 May 2010, 03:27   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I know how my computer works. And yes, I am pretty serious. But yeah, technology-wise the Imperium pretty much beat us...with a Power Fist...wielded by a Space Marine.
Old 18 May 2010, 03:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Its unlikely that we will surpass the Tech of the Imperium, even though we do understand how it all works. Unless we start developing STCs of our own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
Old 18 May 2010, 03:43   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Its unlikely that we will surpass the Tech of the Imperium, even though we do understand how it all works. Unless we start developing STCs of our own.
We already do have STCs, we just call it the assembly line.
Old 18 May 2010, 03:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:
But thay cant produce anything out of anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
Old 18 May 2010, 04:08   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But thay cant produce anything out of anything.
That's an oversimplification of a STC. STC is merely a machine that allows you to produce "something" out of "anything" within reasonable parameter. One of the hallmarks of a STC is that if you lack some resources or component, it will suggest an alternative. So that's why Rhinos, Chimeras and Leman Russ can be powered by anything from fossil fuels, fission engines, hydrogen engines and wood.
Old 18 May 2010, 08:08   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Standard Template Construct system was essentially a very advanced computer-aided design system. It also served as a library for the templates it created this way. The templates themselves are incredibly easy to use, and evidently the engineers who used the system were very good at making everything modular. A little like IKEA but with buildings and tanks instead of furniture.

But the Imperium only has the templates, not the original system used to create them.

[hr]

The Imperium is basically using the remnants of a technology base that arose out of our own some time in the next ten thousand years or so. Thus they tend to approach technology from the perspective of archeology rather than physics and mechanical engineering. So there are likely a lot of things we could do better when it comes to design.

The trick to finding something that we could do better, though, would involve finding a niche that the Imperium has not found anything to fill. I would guess that there are a fair number of these.
Old 18 May 2010, 08:10   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

I got it! We have better picture quality on our magic picture boxes! And yes, I am serious.
Old 18 May 2010, 16:21   #10 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
I got it! We have better picture quality on our magic picture boxes! And yes, I am serious.
But they have holo projectors