Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperiums Technology and Ours
Closed Thread
Old 27 Jun 2010, 21:46   #341 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Imperiums Technology and Ours

I would just like to interject something;

There are places on earth where the soil (as you would call topsoil) is over a hundred feet deep and millions of years old (note I said soil not rock). Its found in Australia and is called "Regolith" as in Luna or martian soils. On geologically inert worlds it is possible to find very old soils that are potentially very deep indeed.

When dealing with mud or snow you want thin tires to cut through to the solid ground underneath but when the loose shifting layer is very deep; on an ice cap or over the kilometer thick ash wastes of necromunda say, then cutting through to find good purchase is a good was to loose a titan.

Psychologically and strategically the titan probably outperforms itself in purely tactical or logistical terms. As I said before they where probably first made to counter tracked super heavy's in close combat. These are surprisingly common even in the 41st millennium as orks have the ability to cobble them together from scrap (RE gargants) and as such counters of one sort or another are in demand.
This is actually not no a idea idea.
Quote:
my brain went all 'splodey from reading that
"Help! I think his brain is leaking!"
Old 27 Jun 2010, 23:39   #342 (permalink)
Ethereal

"Regolith" just refers to sediment that hasn't been lithified. You find it everywhere on Earth that isn't a solid rock outcropping. It doesn't have to be old (we would call that a paleosol). For it to be particularly thick and unconsolidated, you either have to have an extremely fast deposition rate or else some means of inhibiting consolidation and lithification. It is not impossible, but it requires some specific conditions. You could do it in a dry volcanic environment that produced ash without actual lava flows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blightedmarsh
When dealing with mud or snow you want thin tires to cut through to the solid ground underneath but when the loose shifting layer is very deep; on an ice cap or over the kilometer thick ash wastes of necromunda say, then cutting through to find good purchase is a good was to loose a titan.
If it is "loose and shifting" for a kilometer of depth, you aren't going to be traversing it with any sort of heavy vehicle. But no one will have built anything of any importance on it.

Keep in mind that with Titans we still seem to be talking about less than 100 psi. They don't want to "cut through" the surface material down to bedrock. Even on Earth that would be impossible for a Titan in most places. A Titan's legs are essentially designed like a floating foundation. You are relying on the fact that the deformation response of a granular material is quasi-elastic. So applied stress is proportional to strain, not displacement. Unless you have something that is capable of behaving viscously. You still wouldn't want it walking across your field, but it isn't going to sink through it all the way down to bedrock. It will just compact it.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 23:55   #343 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Thunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Thunder
They deform, yes, which is why its a larger area. Are you familiar with the LAV-25?
Are you? What is the ground pressure exerted by the LAV-25?
Variable. Also, less than a 12.8 tonne walker's.
After you do all the math Khanaris asks for, consider another thing: What is important for a Walker like a titan to function in terms of ground pressure? I'm fairly certain it is not "Less than a different type of vehicle of similar volume using a different form of locomotion applies" as your arguments seem to require, but rather "Can the walker assert ground pressure less than what would severely (or moderately, or mildly) restrict its movements through various types of terrain?"

Edit: To clarify my comment, you'll need to show us that not only would a walker apply far greater ground pressure than a tank of similar size/volume, but that such increased ground pressure would actually limit the mobility of a walker, and to what extent.

Khanaris, or anybody else capable/willing/bored: Is anyone capable of the math and knowledgable enough to be able to paint, in broad strokes, the roles ground pressure and friction play in the locomotion for treaded/wheeled vehicles and for bi- or multi-pedal vehicles, and if they differ, how they differ?

What sort of conclusions can be reached about different friction issues? What sort of friction environments (Sand, Mud, Silt, Gravel, Rock, Rotten Vegetation, etc.) give problems to each, and why?