Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperiums Technology and Ours
Closed Thread
Old 18 May 2010, 15:26   #11 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Imperiums Technology and Ours

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
I got it! We have better picture quality on our magic picture boxes! And yes, I am serious.
But they have holo projectors
Aye but not as clear or so the Ciaphas Cain novels say.
Old 19 May 2010, 15:16   #12 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Vehicle design, specifically tanks and armor. If you think that vehicles like Landraiders and Leman Russ are a decent design... then you're out of your mind. :P
Old 19 May 2010, 15:31   #13 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer
Vehicle design, specifically tanks and armor. If you think that vehicles like Landraiders and Leman Russ are a decent design... then you're out of your mind. :P
Somehow I doubt an Abrams could tank a hit from a... anything they have in 40k. Our tanks are slanty and designed the way they are because our shitty modern day rockets pummel the hell out of them, 40k tanks are designed like bricks because the drivers like screaming "**** YOU!" as they plow towards the xeno scum, swinging their power sword in the air from the top hatch
Old 19 May 2010, 15:55   #14 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Quote:
Somehow I doubt an Abrams could tank a hit from a... anything they have in 40k. Our tanks are slanty and designed the way they are because our glitzy modern day rockets pummel the hell out of them, 40k tanks are designed like bricks because the drivers like screaming "y'xa'uk YOU!" as they plow towards the xeno scum, swinging their power sword in the air from the top hatch
Just for future reference, it's not like our modern AT weapons are simple explosives anymore. We usually use those melty rounds/missiles, Sabot rounds, or (to get the crew) squash head rounds. Granted the old HE standard can still be used but we have decent AT weapojns that aren't just explosive anymore.
[hr]

One thing I like that we do better... Instant foods. :shifty:
Seriously, is there really anything like freezer pizzas or popcorn in 40k? ;D

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 19 May 2010, 18:14   #15 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Not really. We have no idea what the design considerations were that led to their construction. They might have been ideal. You don't know much of anything about the technology that goes into their construction. It might work better with those designs than it would with a shorter vehicle. There is some level of suspension of disbelief involved, but at some point you have to realize that some of these things make sense "in their own setting", and that setting is itself fictional.
Old 19 May 2010, 19:00   #16 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
Not really. We have no idea what the design considerations were that led to their construction. They might have been ideal. You don't know much of anything about the technology that goes into their construction. It might work better with those designs than it would with a shorter vehicle. There is some level of suspension of disbelief involved, but at some point you have to realize that some of these things make sense "in their own setting", and that setting is itself fictional.
Then why are we even having this discussion? Just lock the thread then.
Old 19 May 2010, 19:54   #17 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Then why are we even having this discussion? Just lock the thread then.
For what purpose? I thought your point lacked support, not that it was off-topic or broke forum rules.

This is a common problem every time someone comes up with a "vs." thread. They make a lot of assumptions and then fail to account for them. It doesn't have to be that way, but if you recognize how much is uncertain, what you realize is that these questions do not have a single answer.

In this case, we don't know how well a modern vehicle would do in 40k. I would think quite poorly. The design considerations that went into the construction of the Abrams don't factor in fighting on different planets against alien technology. My assumption in this is that the original STC vehicles were designed by engineers who understood the role of these vehicles at least as well as ours do. So I would not get too worked up about specific designs.

However, we do know, from the background, that the ability of the Imperium to design new vehicles is very poor. If you presented an engineering company with an STC today, they would be able to take that design and modify it using principles of engineering and material science. They could experiment with it and improve upon it.
Old 20 May 2010, 13:44   #18 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Imperium does indeed 'innovate' as throughout all the various books, there are local varieties of various vehicles mentioned and described. These are often limited to a single planet and the STC stuff we see are produced in such vast numbers because they're a 'standardised' design that have to be used by people trained to use them.

As an example, a Guard regiment could start out using tanks supplied from the local forgeworld, and if those originals get blown up, they could get some more tanks delivered to the regiment and know that the crew could use them without any period of re-learning the controls.

Quote:
A little like IKEA but with buildings and tanks instead of furniture.
That brought a smile to my lips. I can imagine Guardsmen getting a big box delivered and had to build their own transport
Old 20 May 2010, 15:45   #19 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin Lord (FT)
The Imperium does indeed 'innovate' as throughout all the various books, there are local varieties of various vehicles mentioned and described.
Possibly, but at that point we are often talking about a technology base substantially below our own. It will still be cannibalized from the older pre-Imperial technology. Although the casings might be different, they aren't developing new systems.
Old 20 May 2010, 15:51   #20 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Possibly, but at that point we are often talking about a technology base substantially below our own. It will still be cannibalized from the older pre-Imperial technology. Although the casings might be different, they aren't developing new systems.
I agree, they won't develop technology to rival that of the rest of the Imperium, mainly due to the fact that if they did, the Adeptus Mechanicus would step in and either destroy the planet out of hand, or they would turn the entire populous to servitors for their own use.
Closed Thread