Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Page 51
Old 28 Jul 2008, 23:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Page 51

Page 51 of the 5th edition rulebook as quite a nice piece of artwork on it, depicting chaos daemons of Khorne going toe to toe with a mob of Tyranids. While the Imperial in me is overjoyed to see mankind's enemies tearing away at each other, how is such a scene even possible?

Why would Daemons and Tyranids be at odds? The Tyranids have no emotions, and therefore have nothing for the Daemons to feed off of. The Daemons have no true physical substance, so therefore they have nothing for the Tyranids to consume.

Daemons emerge into the material realm by possessing psykers. Could the Tyranids somehow be vulnerable to this possession as well? I don't see how it is possible.

Wouldn't Tyranids simply ignore Daemons as they have no biological matter for them to consume?

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 23:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Page 51

the simplest answer I can give you is Deamon survival...and greed.

Now we all now what happen to a planet after the tyranid had dropped by. Right?

Well if that planet was 'own' by the deamon or at the very least a prime feeding ground, they wouldn't let it go easily...use a few local deal with the tyranid and enjoy the rest.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 23:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't see the problem. The daemons could be fighting for all kinds of reasons. They could be in service of a chaos lord or daemon prince who require the planet for some reason. Taking skulls is taking skulls. Nids bleed.

The nids on the other hand would be fighting to acquire the planet in order to consume its resources, not to rout the daemons. The daemons are in the way and must be eliminated.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 23:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Vall: You make excellent points, but I fear you missed the explanation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Edition Rulebook, rear insert
There is only WAR.
I kid, I kid. The best explanation that I can come up with is that they're both there for the same thing - huuumans. Perhaps Genestealer Cults tied up the forces of the Adepta Sororitas and Adeptus Arbites, allowing unchecked Chaos cults to attract the attention of the Ruinous Powers.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 00:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to D Black

I think the best way to think about is two rival predators in the wild (nid's & daemon's) who gets that lovely injured pray (in this case a small undefended imperial planet) so they fight over it.

Another explanation of course is that the imperial planet, facing the Doom of an oncoming hive fleet, See that the Emperor isn't going to help and throw their lot in with Beelzebub himself in a hope of rescue. The Fickle God's of chaos are only to happy to trade the souls of an entire world for what to khorne is nothing more than a party (with the fighting and whatnot)

Quote from: Wargamer

Metal fans are allowed to use stereotyped generalisations of other types of music. Why? Because the "avatar" of Rap and similar music is a binged up black guy who holds his gun in such a way as he will probably shoot his own foot off in a gunfight. The avatar of Metal is a bearded, unwashed Scandinavian guy who kills you, your family, your town, your country and the neighbouring country because there isn't much else to do up in the snowy fjords of Vikingland.
D Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 00:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Daemons simply rampaging against anything that breathes makes sense, they are daemons of Khorne afterall. I just can't see the Tyranids even reacting to a Daemon assault, and certainly not reacting enough to throw a carnifex into the fray.

So I will go with the Daemons protecting their food source approach, which leads me to an interesting idea.

Could radical Imperial inquisitors not capture Chaos cultists and throw them in the path of Tyranid hive fleets? The cultists would undoubtedly summon daemons to their aid, in which case a jolly good blood bath would erupt. Tyranids die, Deamons are banished back to the warp, chaos cultists are eviscerated...It's a win win situation for the Imperium.

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 00:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Plus it just looks damn awesome to draw a bloodthirster strangling a carnifex with his whip.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 14:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Is that an accurate depiction? would a Bloodthirsty completely own a carnifex in close combat?

Old 29 Jul 2008, 15:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to D Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall
Is that an accurate depiction? would a Bloodthirsty completely own a carnifex in close combat?
yes a bloodthirster would own a fex he's hitting on 3's and actullty can save against the fex the fex is hitting on 5's and has no save

Quote from: Wargamer

Metal fans are allowed to use stereotyped generalisations of other types of music. Why? Because the "avatar" of Rap and similar music is a binged up black guy who holds his gun in such a way as he will probably shoot his own foot off in a gunfight. The avatar of Metal is a bearded, unwashed Scandinavian guy who kills you, your family, your town, your country and the neighbouring country because there isn't much else to do up in the snowy fjords of Vikingland.
D Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2008, 19:17   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

D Black is right, but for completely the wrong reason.

A Bloodthirster would own a Carnifex because it is a Bloodthirster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote