Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

the warp, warp storms, warp drives?
Old 30 Jun 2008, 22:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default the warp, warp storms, warp drives?

although i have had this explained to me many times there are still many questions i have about the whole warp thing.

1. correct me, but can you see the eye of terror? its not like a purpely cloud in the middle of space is it?

2. similar to this, is a warp storm a tangible thing? i mean do they just appear and you can see them and if you go into it you have problems? or is it just a kind of turbulence in the warp itself?

3. if Tau have a very low warp sense, does that mean they are not affected by it in their "short warp jumps"? and could they just go into a warp storm and not be effected, like imperials can't pass it, could tau just go through it without noticing?

4. i have the impression that the warp is like a seperate dimension, warp travel is kinda like opening a worm hole and traveling through the warp where time and distance are relative, and exiting the warp is like opening another hole back to the real world. is this right? can someone explain it to me in simple terms - i.e. to an idiot.

thanks
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2008, 23:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: the warp, warp storms, warp drives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by <<Majonga>>

3. if Tau have a very low warp sense, does that mean they are not affected by it in their "short warp jumps"? and could they just go into a warp storm and not be effected, like imperials can't pass it, could tau just go through it without noticing?

thanks
Actually I can't reply for the rest but tihs one yes. Unlike other races...except maybe Tyranid, tau doesn't really make warp jump nor go into the warp...they ricochet off it the same way a stone will ricochet off water if you get the proper angle.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2008, 23:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I think the Tyranids do make warp jumps, but the Necrons certainly don't. They just have a stupidly powerful drive that works on technology that is unexplained.

As for whether you can "see" the warp, I think maybe it works like octarine in the Discworld? Maybe psykers can see it, but for anyone else they can see where it *isn't*?
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2008, 23:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

what about the eye of terror?

and how does warp travel work in theory, then again what is the warp?
Quote:

4. i have the impression that the warp is like a seperate dimension, warp travel is kinda like opening a worm hole and traveling through the warp where time and distance are relative, and exiting the warp is like opening another hole back to the real world. is this right? can someone explain it to me in simple terms - i.e. to an idiot.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
Old 30 Jun 2008, 23:29   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
1. correct me, but can you see the eye of terror? its not like a purpely cloud in the middle of space is it?
You can indeed see the Eye of Terror. On Cadia you can't help but see it if you look up.

If you were close enough, and you looked at the Eye of Terror you would probably go mad or at the very least become altered by it. Humans in particular are simply unable to comprehend the things they may see there, be it future events, horribly suggestive shapes, or vicious fanged mouths sprewing forth from space itself to consume them. The warp can be both alluring or terrorizing at the same time (or even both).

Quote:
2. similar to this, is a warp storm a tangible thing? i mean do they just appear and you can see them and if you go into it you have problems? or is it just a kind of turbulence in the warp itself?
Imagine real space as an ocean. You can have a violent storm (by storm, I mean incredibly strong and random currents which are fast moving) far beneath the surface of the water and hardly ever feel it on your cruise ship. Or the storm could be nearer the surface and you may even be swept under by the power of the currents.

The Warp is just like that. They're may be a warp storm "on the surface" (i.e. with the majority of it in the "real dimension") and sometimes it's half and half.

Continuing with analogy, all Imperial ships capable of warp travel are really submarines, i.e. able to run on the surface and be able to delve into the murky depths of the Warp.

But know this, even the weakest warp storms can leave most vessels crippled if they happen to be too close to the eye of the storm when it erupts into being.

Quote:
I'll refer to my analogy here. The Tau do have a very low warp sense, but the fundamental difference between the Imperium and Tau vessels is that Tau vessels aren't really designed to dive more then a few meters into the Warp. And just because they have a low sense of it, doesn't mean they can't be affected by the currents on the surface. It would be like a diver being mostly unaware of the water he is diving in, he knows he's diving into something and the dangers it may possess will more then likely be unknown to him.

Quote:

thanks
You have it pretty much down there. When you make a warp transition, you actually create an artificial rift between real space and the Warp. There is a "buffer" zone between the two dimensions where the laws of gravity and normal space sort of apply but the closer you get to the Warp, the less they affect you until you finally hit the Warp.

Tau currently are unable to make the full transition into the Warp and can only instead travel within the "buffer zone" and therefore not able to make full use of the Warp. Some of that is because the Tau lack navigators and the necessary knowledge to enter the Warp (as you need wards to protect against daemons, special fields to stop the Warp entering the ship etc).
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2008, 23:31   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

You can definitely see the Eye of Terror throughout most of the western part of the galaxy, at least as far as Terra. I don't recall the exact reference, but I think it was the Eye of Terror book.

Warp Storms do seem to have an effect on physical space, although it was not always clear that this was the case. The only references I can recall to Warp Storms actually effecting real-space are Medusa V and the Dawn of War series. Prior to that, my understanding had been that Warp Storms served as a barrier to Warp Travel, and the incredible distances involved ruled out transit across the affected area by normal impulse engines. It is a little unclear to me at the moment.

Tau Warp dives do not penetrate the surface of the Warp. They sort of "bounce off" the interface, as Boneguard indicated. Like FT, I usually think of the Warp like the sea. Imperial ships dive beneath the surface like submarines. Tau ships are like beach balls. They push against the surface as hard as they can, and are then expelled elsewhere in a way they can calculate. But if a Warp Storm is like a storm at sea, they might not be able to control the direction and magnitude of their bounce. So my guess is that the Tau would be also be blocked pretty effectively by Warp Storms, even if they are less likely to be destroyed by them during transit.

That all gets back to the core idea that Tau warp travel is much safer than that used by the Imperium, but also about 4-5 times slower. Tau navigation is also dependent on how they approach the interface, not on what they do while inside. So unlike the Imperium, the Tau are not reliant on a reference beacon inside the warp for navigation. Which is lucky for them, given how far they are from the Astronomicon.

Tyranids do make warp jumps, after a fashion. They seem to navigate based on the psychic keen of the genestealer cults, and the genestealers themselves don't navigate at all. My favorite theory about the Tyranids is that they were drawn to our galaxy in the first place by the light of the Astronomicon (like moths to a flame). There is a certain grim irony there that appeals to me.

Necrons use a form of inertialess drive, whereby they can move at speeds significantly higher than the speed of light in real-space. It is mostly just arm-waving, and not really possible with the real physics as we understand them today.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2008, 23:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As the Spiritseer Iyanna Arienal says, "The universe is tripartite: the sunlight of the material plane, the darkness of the spirit plane, and the twilight of the spaces between the two."

Imperial Navy ships, when travelling at FTL speeds, punch through into the third plane - where they (ideally) use the Astronomican as a beacon with which to guide their travels.

Tau ships are incapable of breaching all the way into the third plane - so they 'dive' into the second plane, and are eventually bounced out again.

However, while Warp travel is, by its nature, chaotic, warp diving is very consistant, and avoids the risks of the Warp - and thus the Kor'vattra are able to develop waystation networks along the major routes between Septs (where ships can emerge and re-dive at, if necessary) and use these networks to send message boats to and from the worlds and systems of the tau empire, and beyond.

Also, tau ships were 1/5 of the 'average' speed of warp-jumpng Navy ships (note: the average does not count for a whole lot...) at the outset, but have become faster since then - on to 1/3, and so on - but the main issue is still one of duration (well, the issue of logistical support becomes a factor, too.)

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers(edited on 06 April 2006)
v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2008, 23:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

thanks, my questions answered.

i think i understand the actual physicality of the warp now
Old 30 Jun 2008, 23:37   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
i think i understand the actual physicality of the warp now
Let's test you.

Have you gone mad?
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2008, 23:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Only those who reject the ways of the Kor'vattra need fear the darkness.

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers(edited on 06 April 2006)
v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote