Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Similarities between video game races and 40k races. (Possible Spoilers)
Old 14 Mar 2008, 11:38   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Similarities between video game races and 40k races. (Possible Spoilers)

This is something that just popped into my head last night whilst I was blazing my way through Mass Effect. And Im suprised it never occured to be before - there are some striking similarities between the races in that game and 40k.

Lets see:

Salarians - Physically weaker than most of the sentient races, fantastic understanding and development of technology. Uses Diplomacy to get other creatures fight for them. Shorter life span than humans (40-50 years). Not blue though. If these guys don't scream Tau I don't know what does...

Asari - Massively powerful Biotic race with 99% of the population with some inherant ability. Think of Biotics as you would psychic powers and they start to feel like elder. And theres a few more too - constantly tinkering behind the scenes via a very strong voice in the Citadel Council (a giant artificial world...) and having massively strong troops (asari commandos) that work in small but quick and powerful armies. However, the similarities end there. Asari are able to "mate" with any sentient species, male or female and have a large population. However, they still match the elder for respect for tradition and seniority, as well as living for the longest aside from the artifical races. And they were the first race to start making colonies across the entire galaxy after the Prothean extinction.

Turians - Now, im going to go out on a limb here and say that these are in fact the Humans in this comparison. Or at least the imperial guard portion of humanity. They have the largest of almost everything (except single fleet and single battleship): five times the size of the humans fleets, largest military, largest justice system, and a massive chunk of Citadel space. However, they don't have a good amount of scientists and inventors - this is held by the quarians and salarians. They are, however
the first in line to deal with a large threat and have the most active wars of any citadel race (The wars between planets of minor races not Officially in Citadel space are more - but they are fighting amongst themselves for the most part). They are, for all intents and purposes the most dominant race physically, but have good sway Politically due to the necessity of their armies.

Reapers - ancient machine race come back to harvest and annihalte all sentient life in the galaxy. C'tans anyone? Hell, they even go as far to be in a state of stasis until it is time to harvest the galaxy again. And guess what? They have a race to do their bidding too...

Geth - A sentient machine race that worships the reapers as gods. Hate all organic life and would gladly let it die out. The movement from their system in which they were content to let the galaxy move on without interacting with them could be compared to the awakening of the necrons.

Krogans - Massive barbarians with a strich hierachy based on size and combat skill. Lots of infighting between the members of the race. Out of all of the races they are the biggest, strongest and downright meanest race naturally. If these guys aren't the cousins of Orks then I would be very suprised. They have also been developed by the other races (krok?) to the level that they are at now. However - Unlike the Orks, they are a dying breed and find it very hard to reproduce.

Racchni - Telepathic bugs that were on the verge of wiping out the galaxy. Reminds me of tyranids.

[hr]

Anyone else got any thoughts?
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2008, 12:13   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Similarities between video game races and 40k races. (Possible Spoilers)

Pretty much spot on, now thinking about it. Wouldn't have crossed my mind otherwise, but now you've mentioned it there are a lot of similarities.

Of course, the Asari development is quite obvious - "We need another race. Any ideas?"

"I know, what about a blue skinned race of promiscuous lesbiens that the main character can get it on with?"

"I love you, steve. Thats perfect"

Every nerds wet dream. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2008, 13:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Similarities between video game races and 40k races. (Possible Spoilers)

Again, it wouldn't have crossed my mind but you do draw some startlingly accurate parallels.

Of course the Mass Effect universe is a lot more cosmopolitan than the Imperium, but there's definitely racial similarities...

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2008, 15:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Location: Locked in an imaginary battle between good and evil

Have you ever considered that there may be a slight link between Oblivion and 40K? ???

"Float like a Butterfly, Sting like a Bee, Your hands can't hit what your eyes can't see"

Mungini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2008, 16:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungini
Have you ever considered that there may be a slight link between Oblivion and 40K? ???
I dunno, Oblivion seems too much like your typical swords and sorcery roleplay environment, so the influence probably goes the other way to be honest.

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2008, 16:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've never actually played Mass Effect, but that sounds pretty similar to me! I dunno, I've drawn a few (quite excellent) comparisons myself:
-Mario represents the Imperium. He's well known and feared, mercilessly squashing all of those who don't agree with his views beneath his boots. However, in the end, he's just a chubby, middle-aged plumber who's got problems of his own.
-Kirby represents the Tyranids. He's always hungry and very skilled at eating.
-Samus represents the Tau, due to the fact that they both pilot ridiculously powerful battlesuits around the battlefield but, in the end, they are almost always heavily outnumbered by everyone else.
-Bowser and his Army represent the Orks. Not too bright, rather comical, and very large. Goombas are the grots, of course.

Yep. I'm pretty sure that 40K stole from Nintendo.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 17:54   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboy_geoff
I've never actually played Mass Effect, but that sounds pretty similar to me! I dunno, I've drawn a few (quite excellent) comparisons myself:
-Mario represents the Imperium. He's well known and feared, mercilessly squashing all of those who don't agree with his views beneath his boots. However, in the end, he's just a chubby, middle-aged plumber who's got problems of his own.
-Kirby represents the Tyranids. He's always hungry and very skilled at eating.
-Samus represents the Tau, due to the fact that they both pilot ridiculously powerful battlesuits around the battlefield but, in the end, they are almost always heavily outnumbered by everyone else.
-Bowser and his Army represent the Orks. Not too bright, rather comical, and very large. Goombas are the grots, of course.

Yep. I'm pretty sure that 40K stole from Nintendo.
A little bit of seriousnes here...
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote