Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drop Troop Regiment Questions
Old 18 Oct 2007, 23:15   #1 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Default Drop Troop Regiment Questions

Hello. I have a few questions consering an IG Drop Troop Regiment, firstly is it possible for a Drop Troop regiment to be given its own Valkyrie and Vulture aircraft to control instead of having to rely on the navy? Giving it its own Valkyrie and Vultures would give the regiment a faster dispersal time and immediate air support without having to go to all the hassle of requesting aid from a Navy unit.
Second, would Commissars attached to the regiment drop with them and require additional training to deploy with the regiment?

Thanks.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 00:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Re: Drop Troop Regiment Questions

Yes to the first question (I beleive), and yes to the second.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 00:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I'm pretty sure vultures and valkyries are part of the drop regiments anyways. The wording in IA1 is a bit ambiguos, but I get the impression that they're still operated by Navy personelle, but they're actually part of the regiment and not attatched.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 01:12   #4 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Thanks again.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 00:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Coralien of the Kradus 51

I know that the Phantine have their own but the way I understood it was that they don't so much have them much like a guard regiment 'borrows' tanks from another...they have a permant Navy attachment.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 00:40   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

It is possible that the gunships are treated differently than the fighters. Thunderbolts and Lightnings have no reason to be attached to Imperial Guard, but Valkyries and Vultures are more likely to be involved on the ground.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 02:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

well our navy has some planes and helicopters, the army has their black hawks, appaches, little birds, etc. and Marnies have their own as well. It would make sense for the IG to have their own atmospheric flyers for direct support on the battlefield and to skip some red tape

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 04:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

It would seem the Vultures and Valkyries are permanent additions to the Guard unit itself, while the Phantine are the 'unique' ones with Thunderbolt and Lightning detachments.

For everything else, there's Masterca- er... The Navy. :

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 16:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes Vultures and Valkyries are like the equivlent of a helicopter and are attached to the regiment itself. Whereas Thunderbolts and Marauders are like the Airforce today and a separate entity that supports the army.

However in practice there is nothing stopping a Guard unit from having Navy aircraft except some little piece of Imperail legislation to prevent regiments from going renegade and getting too powerful.

In the instance of my personal Guard army the 1171st "Reglanders" have a small number of Naval Aircraft under its direct command which were found and repaired during one of its conflicts on Hydron II. Although it has Aircraft the numbers are limited and is not a navy force as it is primarily a Light Infantry Regiment.

But there you go,
Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote