Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Marine, Guard and PDF Chain of Command
Old 21 Sep 2007, 21:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Space Marine, Guard and PDF Chain of Command

This was inspired by the ranks of the PDF/Guard. My question:
What would be the minimum rank of command for a small group of forces(nothing epic scale; more like a skirmish size), for a larger battle, and finally, who do they answer to(and at what point(s) do the chains of command converge?)
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2007, 21:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Re: Space Marine, Guard and PDF Chain of Command

First of all, Space Marines and Guard don't share a chain of command, they work together when they need to.

Now, for a small skirmish, the highest Guard rank out there would be along the lines of Lieutenant, who would be commanding a platoon. Get larger, then you get your Captains, Majors and Colonels for Companies, Battalions and Regiments, respectively. Then it starts to get up into the General and Lord-General ranges for Corps and Armies.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2007, 21:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I just got the Black Library Tactica Imperialis, where they discuss the difficulty of combined forces. It appears in combined SM-IG forces it generally goes:

In small engagements, or if with inexperienced PDF, SM commanders pretty much overtake things because of their experience and force of will.

In meduim engagments with stronger IG commanders, there is co-operation as opposed to command.

In large engagements, like crusades, typically an IG warlord will have SM under his control.

However, true power is more with leverage and politicking. A commander has to constantly juggle the wishes of the IG, SM, Mechanicus, Navy, Munitorum, etc., to keep everyone fighting in the same direction.

So very dependant on the situation, but generally a mess.
Bird III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2007, 22:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well, remember SM are asked to do things, not ordered... ;D

and about other corps, usually a Warlord (warmaster?) gives the orders, then it's up to the "lower" commanders to tell him how they'll accomplish them.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 22:52   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

At no level can the Marines be commanded by anyone. Even an Inquisitor can be told to piss off, and when the guy doing the telling is Chapter Master of an army of super-humans capable of wiping entire solar systems out, you tend to listen.

Marines do what they want, when they want. A prime example is shown in Tactica Imperium, where the Iron Snakes leave Noxus Colony to die in order to "save" the planet, and the sector as a whole, from the Dark Eldar. Noxus had asked the Chapter to stop the attacks, and the Marines decided sacrificing the planet was the best way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2007, 19:35   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
At no level can the Marines be commanded by anyone. Even an Inquisitor can be told to piss off, and when the guy doing the telling is Chapter Master of an army of super-humans capable of wiping entire solar systems out, you tend to listen.
Sort of. A Chapter declared as heretics will still have an extremely difficult time surviving. The Soul Drinkers books illustrate this fairly well. Space Marines still need a basic level of support in order to fight effectively, and they do not have access to the high-level resources Inquisitor Lords can command. With a few exceptions, the resources of any one chapter are not going to be enough to fight an Inquisitor with his organization behind him (particularly since he will likely be calling on other Astartes). A Chapter on its own would likely find its homeworld destroyed and its fleet scattered. So there are limits to how far they can push the Inquisition, and in what respects. But usually the Marines are left to their own devices. The AdMech are the same. No outsiders really "tell" them to do anything.

But the normal state of affairs is for any Space Marine Chapters present to have a representative on whatever council is making strategy decisions. If the engagement does not include a Chapter Master, this representative may not have been given authority to withdraw by his own superiors.

The Chain of Command for the PDF normally runs up to the Planetary Governor. They will also have a representative on councils, although the other members may not take them very seriously.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2007, 03:07   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
With a few exceptions
Ah, its always fun falling between the cracks!

Templar: No home World; Forge Ships; Pacts made with the AdMech; 6000-10000 fighting marines strong, with support; Enough power to take a spear to the gut of the Imperium if they ever felt it was going against the will of the Emperor.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2007, 05:31   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I would also consider the Ultramarines to be beyond the reach of the Inquisition if it came to it, since their holdings are much larger than those of a typical Chapter.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 11:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Would you say to a lesser degree Dark Angels as well?

But mostly Black Templars (who are however not as organized) and especially Ultramarines.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2007, 13:53   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Dark Angels have more reason to be concerned about the Inquisition than most Chapters. In a sense, the Inquisition could destroy them far more easily than most Astartes. If the Ordo Hereticus found out their secret, the Dark Angels could never truly regain their honor (in their own eyes, anyway), even if the Inquisition did no more to act on it. But in terms of military strength, the Dark Angels are not that different from any other chapter with a mobile Fortress Monastery.