Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Old landmarks still on Holy Terra??
Old 14 Sep 2007, 03:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22
Default Old landmarks still on Holy Terra??

I've heard that in Space Wolf: Wolfblade, Ragnar stumbles upon some very ancient areas of Holy Terra. An old Subway system in NYC, is what I heard... Is this true?? (Don't tell me to go out and get the book to read it, because I unfortunatly have not the time... Sorry if that sounded a bit fresh... lol)
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2007, 06:39   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Old landmarks still on Holy Terra??

Ever seen Futurama? Think the ruins of Old New York.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 10:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22

Ohhh... Very interesting... What's his reaction??
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2007, 11:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Realistically, nothing should be left. 38.000 years is a long time; whereas Futurama is set 1000 years in the Future (but even there, nothing much should be left, and most certainly not the house of Fry ).

Thing is, metal dissolves over time, and even plastic should be quite useless after all this time. Nothing of our items will be remaining in 500 years; only stone and (maybe) concrete has a chance to endure, and, come on, how many of our "daily" things are made of concrete? If our civilisation would be gone tomorrow, and every single human being would simply disappear - in 1.000 or 2.000 years there would be no chance to tell that we were "civilised" (apart from radiation or whatever damage we do to our environment, of course...). But all our buildings, items and the like would be long gone.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2007, 16:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thats not really true. Much of what we have would be gone within 500 years. Roads tarmac, most buildings.

Metal corrodes and would last a tad longer (I give the odds at more like 700 years for a large metal structure) and plastics gone very quickly due to UV radiation.

Thus after 1000 years all that would be left are piles of rubble where our city's used to be the sewage systems and subways (because they are large structures which don't have to deel with the elements).

Having said that our ceramics would last and so would our landfills. In fact their is a Garbologist (seriously) who digs up old landfill sites and he discovered that things just don't decompose. The lack of oxygen and the fact everything is covered over means that not even bacteria can really get to work.

I would guess civilisations 50,000 years from now could still dig up our old landfills. I guess they may find our 'Seedys' and 'Machine Washables' rather interesting. Not to mention the petrified newspapers...

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2007, 16:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hmm. What about the moon landers? What would happen to them? Or the little plaques that were left?

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2007, 17:00   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Concrete isn't going to survive if exposed to the elements, nor is steel. They both weather very quickly. But anything in an anoxic environment would have survived, and it is possible that mankind found ways to preserve some of its relics before the landmarks we know today had disintegrated.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2007, 03:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

But 38 thousand years in the future, come on. Most if not all of the things we would have built will be nonexistent. Even subway tunnels would have failed. Just look at Terra. The Imperium has torn it apart, it has no oceans, it's just one gigantic city, and even Mt. Everest is carved out to be a gaint radar dish for the Emperors beacon. If they could carve out a mountain than the foundations for the hives would be tremendous and strectch far below Nothing would be left after that amount of time.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2007, 04:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Technology and lore 10,000 years old is almost impossible to find in the Imperium. Even on holy Terra I would not expect anything to survive after 20,000 years or so, anything further back has probably been crushed into layers of sedimentary debris under the constant layering build up covering the entire planet many times over. Even layers of Terra only 1,000 years old are in a decrepit existence, anything further down seems to be the realm of criminals, cults and the like and anything further is surely death from collapse, polution, flooding etc.

And certainly no land marks remain from our time, even atempts to preserve such things by the Imperium couldn't keep them for over 38,000 years especially through the Dark Age of Technology, the Age of Strife and the Horus Heresy.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2007, 05:39   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Notice I didn't say "our time." Sure, by 40k Terra's a mess, but subways are pretty universal and would probably still find-able from a few thousand years prior. And we don't know all that went on in the Dark Age of Technology, maybe they built some buried cities like Zion from "The Matrix." And even if all that is Bull, there's still the fact that thriving "present-day" Imperium cities have ruins and relics from past times, its quite possible the same exist on Terra, in places where the various authorities of Terra haven't bothered to do anything with in a while.