Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau recruiting Psykers?
Old 28 Aug 2007, 23:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau recruiting Psykers?

We all know that the Tau accept many races and use lots of mercs. But do they try to get Psykers more than others since Tau don't have Psykers of their own? What do they do when a semi-powerful Psyker wants to sign up for the Tau. Do they just throw him with the rest of the Gue'Vesa or try to study and make better use of him. Also, what do the Tau think of Psykers in general. Do they have witch-hunts, or accept them with open arms.

* The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

~Uthan the Perverse.
marine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2007, 02:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer
Default Re: Tau recruiting Psykers?

The Tau are probably rather indifferent about whether or not an incorporating race has psychic or warp-fueled abilities.

We know the Tau do incorporate Psykers (Kill Team's mercs and BFG's Nicassar) with open arms, it's just difficult to tell if they either don't care or don't fully understand the intricacies of the warp yet to make a final verdict on.

Good conundrum though. ;D

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2007, 08:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

They just don't really understand psyckers enough to care.

They would accept psyckers, but they wouldn't understand the dangers of having, say, untrained human psyckers.

In fact, that could be a good Tau story. The Tau unwittingly accepts a rogue alpha psycker on one of their geuvesa colonies.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2007, 14:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I dunno... I think it'd depend on how much the Tau know of psykers. I mean clearly they know they can only make brief hops through the warp, but do they actually know that psykers with the Navigator gene are the key to longer trips? If so they I'd think they'd be really interested in psykers, if only for study. The bit of fluff for why my Tau forces primarily fight Eldar is that they direct their Kroot to consume as many psykers as possible so as to take on those traits. Worked for the Tyranids...
Old 03 Sep 2007, 15:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine13
We all know that the Tau accept many races and use lots of mercs. But do they try to get Psykers more than others since Tau don't have Psykers of their own? What do they do when a semi-powerful Psyker wants to sign up for the Tau. Do they just throw him with the rest of the Gue'Vesa or try to study and make better use of him. Also, what do the Tau think of Psykers in general. Do they have witch-hunts, or accept them with open arms.
nicassar are very important fleet assets, and they're a race of emaciated psychic polar bears in space.

as to human psykers, the tau used the events on medusa V to study the warp and all that psyonics stuff. and they didnt like it. chaos=the montau for tau. they'd rather keep their distance from it, methinks....

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2007, 22:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Where can I find the fluff for Tau during/after the Medusa campaign?

* The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

~Uthan the Perverse.
marine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2007, 00:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've personally not found much fluff for the Tau regarding Medusa V (and I think the website itself has been taken down) though this is from Wikipedia:

Quote:
the Tau expedition's goal, to gather information about the warp, was largely successful; however, analysis of the gathered data, and the fates of those Tau who remained behind, caused Earth Caste scientists to believe that further research would be unfeasible. The Fourth Expansion of the Tau Empire was thus delayed in order to further consolidate the recent Third Expansion. .There were great losses, personified with the loss of Commander Shadowsun's sibling, Shas’el Ty’res.
So yeah, to be sure the Tau found out more about the warp and they did not like it, but I feel like some where in their upper eschelons of command they'd know that they will eventually have to expand past their local star cluster and so this means an inevitable need to make longer trips through the warp. Heck, that's what Medusa was about for the Tau (or a furthering towards those ends anyway.) And I'd hope that they did learn something at least useful from that research - perhaps about the navigator gene - but because of the horror unveiled to them and the need to consolidate the third sphere, explorations of the nature of the warp and psykers was put on the back burner. But some work must continue... this could be another avenue of research. I feel like I've read not being able to navigate the warp is "the final check on the Tau's power" a couple times...

But then with the Nicassar the whole theory doesn't really work... they friggin' propel their ships psychically. :-\

Well if nothing else it's given me some fuel for my army's background fluff, ignoring the Nicassar plot hole of course... :shifty:
Old 07 Sep 2007, 13:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Just to clarify - the Tau ships do not use the Warp proper - their dive engines skim the border region between realspace and the Empyrean.

While it reduces the range they can travel, it does make their FTL tech a lot safer and more reliable than regular warp drives - no need for Geller Fields, no issues with time distortions, no hordes of daemons consuming the souls of everyone aboard...

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers(edited on 06 April 2006)
v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2007, 02:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Kroot on the other hand do have completely functioning warp drives, which they keep from their blue skinned masters.

Do the Demiurg have warp capabilities?

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2007, 23:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ah, but there are a few things:

*Since Warspheres are an option in the Tau fleet list (hell, the Tau made first contact with the Kroot in space, by intervening in a fight between Warspheres and Ork ships) the Tau know about their existence, and have probably even examined them - however, the unique method of their construction (which, so far as the Tau know, date to the time prior to the collapse of the Kroot industrial civilization) and the issue of them being instinctively drawn through the warp to worlds with functioning ecosystems make them less than suitable for the Tau to adapt.

*Nicassar are psykers - but they are telekinetics, not Navigators. (Their own ships have no FTL capability, the Tau found them by uncovering a caravan of Dhows floating through the interstellar void.) If they were, they would not need to piggyback on a Tau capital ship for FTL travel.

Even in the Imperium, you can't use psykers of other disciplines, such as Astropaths, to fly a ship through the Warp. You need a Navigator. (Hence the interest the Q'orl have in pinching Navis Nobilite bloodchildren over in Segmentum Pacificus...)

And given that the Tau don't use the Nicassar as astropaths, it's a good bet the Nicassar can't do that, either.

*There's no confirmation either way if the Demiurg use regular Warp travel, or some kind of advanced dive tech - but I think that if they used the latter, that would be a very useful thing for the Tau to know...

*We have no word on just how far, or how fast, dive engines can go, when the technology is pushed to its limits.

What if one day the Tau figure out engines which will let them dive for far more extended periods, and travel greater distances?

(For all we know, that could have been what the Necrontyr used, and eventually evolved into inertialess drive tech...)

Indeed, the fact that the inertialess drives exist in the setting mean that the Tau do not need to risk the perils of the Warp in order to develop better FTL (and to be honest, the Warp is far less useful than it's cracked up to be - the Tau already have a far more stable, safe and efficient FTL system binding the Empire together) - there are more than one ways to skin a cat.

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers(edited on 06 April 2006)
v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote