Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Percentage of Galaxy occupied by each faction
Old 09 Aug 2007, 19:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Percentage of Galaxy occupied by each faction

Just as a guess, how much of the habital portion of the galaxy is governed by each faction? I'm interested in getting everyone's impressions.

Mine:

85% Imperium of Man
10% Orks
10% Daemon worlds
1% Eldar maiden worlds
1% Tau
1% Human non-Imperium
2% Alien other (Tyranid infested, Necron tomb worlds, minor races, etc.)
Old 09 Aug 2007, 20:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer
Default Re: Percentage of Galaxy occupied by each faction

Uh... Seriously?

I guess all the races of the Galaxy incorporate 110% of it then if we use your math!

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2007, 20:22   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I would say the Imperium occupies about 5-10% of the galaxy, and Orks control about 5-10%. Chaos forces control about 1%, mostly in the Eye and the Maelstrom. Tyranids have probably scoured a few percent off of the Eastern Fringe. Tau, Eldar, and Necrons all control only a handful of planets each, and the Dark Eldar have few if any significant holdings in realspace. The remainder of the galaxy is largely unexplored, and what parts are inhabited are controlled by smaller xenos enclaves (no more than 3-4 systems) or unincorporated human holdings from the first waves of colonial expansion. It is tempting to say that the Imperium controls most of it, but it is important to note that they have not really explored the entire volume within their borders. The edges of the Imperium mark where the Crusade fleets stopped, but there are still many areas coreward of that that were never visited during the Great Crusade.

For reference, the Imperium controls about 1-2 million inhabited worlds. Current estimates suggest that our galaxy has on the order of tens of billions of planets. So it is quite possible that even the Imperium has holdings in less than 1% of all habitable systems throughout the galaxy, keeping in mind that they are capable of colonizing planets without Earth-like conditions. Certainly puts a different perspective on things, doesn't it? They are the biggest stellar empire that we know of, but that doesn't really mean that they are all that big in the grand scheme of things. Just very spread out.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2007, 23:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Khanaris has got it right on that.

However if we are considering the ratio of total forces of every faction...

I suggest
<0.00005% Other races
<0.0001% DE
<0.0001% CSM
<0.0005% SM
<0.001% E
<0.001% Tau
~0.002% Necrons
~1% Orks
~3% Imperail Guard
~96% Tyranids

(Thats roughly 6000 Guardsmen to every 1 SM)
(Each Guardsman would have to kill 32 'nids to break even...fat chance of that happening)

Basically most of the factions are simply dwarfed by the 'nids even the orks But then humans and orks are roughly equal in power and orks are about 3x stronger than a human (manpower terms). So I think the estimate that the guard have 3x as many men is about right.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2007, 07:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Although I agree to a large extent, I will not allow any smart ass quips about 4th edition tyranid fanboyism here.

Area of space, now, the problem here, is that the Imperium's reach is far, however the great crusade did not have the Imperium expand in a spherical way, much like the Tau Empire are doing, the Imperium expands through many many strands each stretching across the galaxy.

Calculating percentage of planets is just folly because most planets in the galaxy would not be explored.

Calculating a ratio of space controlled is also not a good idea. It vastly overstates the power of the Imperium, whilst Tau, who have much smaller but more concentrated space, will be understated, and factions like Eldar and Necrons, and especially Dark Eldar will be vastly understated. An average Imperial planet is no match for an average planet of Orks, and even less a match for a full fledged Eldar Craftworld. An arbitary imperial planet might be a research station, or an astropath station, or an adeptus mechanicus site, or a penal colony. It's too uncertain.

I think if we total the amount of habitable/usable worlds and then make a percentage of that, it will be a better indicator.

However even then there are problems. The Dark Eldar, for example, live completely within the Webway. Eldar also, makes use of craftworlds and a large portion of their power comes from the Corsair fleets. Tyranids obviously do not control any world, their strength should more be measured by hivefleets, yet just how many worlds (if you assume a normal distribution of agri, forge, hive and fortress worlds) can a standard hive fleet equalize itself to? Given the completely erratic size and nature of hive fleets?

If it were by my estimate, a power distribution in terms of inhabited or usable worlds would be as follows:

The Imperium: 40%
The collective Ork forces: 35%
The forces of Chaos: 5%
The Eldar Craftworlds and their Exodite/Corsair allies: 2%
The Tau Empire: 1%
The Necron Tomb Worlds: 1%

Tyranids and Dark Eldar cannot be estimated due to the stated problems above, whilst the Necron estimate is horribly inaccurate because we don't know how many tomb worlds there are.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2007, 08:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Don't forget the Q'orl Swarmhood.
Old 10 Aug 2007, 10:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quite a few races will also take up comparable amounts of worlds. Hrud, Q'orl and perhaps Jokaero amongst them. However for ease we'll leave them out.

Old 10 Aug 2007, 12:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Um... Crazed Mongoose; what do you mean Dark Eldar live completly within the webway? They have cammoragh and some archons take worlds for their own.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2007, 12:46   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraj
They have cammoragh
A city that spreads like a dark stain through the webway......

its in there.

I think a large amount of the galaxy is still unclaimed, like maybe 40-50%.

Even now, Rogue Traders push the boundaries of Imperial space, and crusades are launched to claim more, the Tau move on unclaimed worlds all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2007, 12:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraj
Um... Crazed Mongoose; what do you mean Dark Eldar live completly within the webway? They have cammoragh and some archons take worlds for their own.

Commoragh is a city that is completely within the webway. And the Archon worlds from what I understand are also giant sections of Commoragh? Each kabal is a section of the city itself?