Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space wolves, Dark angels, and Thousand sons(oh my)
Old 31 Jul 2007, 20:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Space wolves, Dark angels, and Thousand sons(oh my)

OK I know that Space Wolves hate the Dark Angels because their primarchs got in a fight, but what is their grudge against Thousand Sons? Just wondering because I haven't heard anything about it. The only reason I know they hate each other is they have preffered enemy in the dex.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 20:51   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Space wolves, Dark angels, and Thousand sons(oh my)

The Space Wolf Legion was dispatched to destroy the Thousand Sons, whom the Emperor decreed traitors after Magnus the Red broke his Psychic Shields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2007, 20:52   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Magnus, as the good loyal primarch tried to warn the big E of Horus' betrayal, but as he broke Big E's shiny new toys, he got pissed and set the space puppies on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2007, 20:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well that makes sense. Foolish though, Magnus trying to save the emperor and all.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 22:52   #5 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Quote:
Foolish though, Magnus trying to save the emperor and all.
Foolish? What was Foolish was the Emperor not doing anything about what Magnus had told him. If The Emperor had even tried to look into what Magnus was saying then the Heresy would not have been as devastating as it was.

Anywho, From Wikipedia.

'Magnus through his arts, scryed the future, and seeing the treachery of Horus, used his sorcerous arts to send a message to his liege. The Emperor, however, did not believe that his son Horus who was much beloved could betray him, and instead sent Leman Russ, Primarch of the Space Wolves to destroy the Thousand sons, now suspected of attempting to spread discord and sedition between the Emperor and his sons. Russ took his Legion, and with all the Great Companies of the Space Wolves, fell upon the World of the Thousand Sons, Prospero, with the vengeful force of a mighty shower of comets.

The Thousand Sons met the Space Wolves on the field of battle, at its forefront was the Thirteenth company who with incredible ferocity fell upon their erstwhile brethren the Thousand Sons. The Traitorous Thousand Sons could not stand against the righteous force of the Space Wolves, and inch by inch grudgingly gave ground, until they were surrounded in their own Fortress Monastery, and determined to stand to the last man.

Meanwhile Magnus, Giant Cyclops lord of the Thousand sons knelt in his tower and wept as his sons were ripped away from him. In his anger and sorrow he called to all who would listen and one voice answered. Tzeentch the Manipulator, at the moment Magnus gave his soul Tzeentch to granted the traitorous-Mutant full mastery of the vagaries of sorcery, and Magnus with his new found power took the battle back to the Wolves of Russ.

Appearing amongst the lines of the Space Wolves, Magnus was unstoppable, even the Feral brotherhood of the Wulfen were unable to stand before the heretical might of the Daemonically enfused Magnus. All fell before him until, the great Primarch of the Space Wolves, Leman Russ advanced upon his Brother. The battle between these two titans was fierce, and would fill several tomes. Regardless, after two days and two nights of combat Russ took the battered body of Magnus, and raising him to the storm wracked skies, brought him down upon his knee.

With a mighty crack, Russ broke the back of his foe, and the heart of his enemy. Magnus sunk to the floor, and as Russ raised his fiery sword Mjalnar to strike his enemy's heart, Magnus whispered a single word of Power and sunk into the earth's dark embrace.

As Leman Russ howled his fury to the packs of the Space Wolves, the sorcerous-librarians of the Thousand Sons opened a vast maelstrom of energy, through which their forces fled. The Wolfkin, the Thirteenth Company of the Space Wolves, at a gesture from their Primarch, gave tongue to the chase and followed their foes into the very eye of the Warp. With a blinding flash, the swirling maelstrom of energy collapsed and the Thirteenth Company, passed from this plane and from Imperial history.'

Also,

While meditating on Prospero, Magnus foresaw Horus being corrupted by Chaos and the future events of the Horus Heresy, the betrayal of half the Space Marine Legions, and the sundering of the Imperium. The only fate the vision did not mention was Magnus's own. Burdened with the information by this precognitive vision, Magnus used the power of his Legion's greatest sorcerers to convey the news of the impending civil war to the Emperor himself via daemonic sorcery, rather than the unreliable means of Astrotelepathy.

Upon receiving the message, the Emperor was furious to see Magnus's oath-breaking. The Emperor saw the hidden traitor to be Magnus, not his beloved Horus. Leman Russ, Primarch of the Space Wolves Legion, who had always been averse to witchcraft, was swiftly ordered to bring Magnus to Terra to account for his actions. During his voyage to Prospero, Leman Russ was convinced by Horus to destroy Magnus's legion rather than simply bring them to account. Accompanying the Space Wolves were a full contingent of Adeptus Custodes, and the elite anti-psyker (pariah gene-bearing) units, the Sisters of Silence.

Ironically the Burning of Prospero took the Thousand Sons by total surprise. Landing on Prospero, the Space Wolves destroyed the capital city and with it the Thousand Sons' hard-won knowledge. In the close-quarter melees that followed, Magnus and Russ met in single combat. At the climax Magnus shattered Russ's breastplate, after puncturing the Primarch's heart he prepared to deal the deathblow. Russ countered by bloodying Magnus's single eye. After lifting Magnus high into the air, Russ broke Magnus's back.

To save himself, his legion, his world, and all the knowledge he had accumulated, Magnus pledged himself to the Chaos God Tzeentch. His new patron's response was immediate. The City of Light was transported into the Eye of Terror. While Prospero was destroyed that day, Magnus and his Legion survived. By the time the the Thousand Sons were seen next, they were allied to Horus, and Magnus had become the most powerful of all Tzeentch's daemonic servants.

Old 01 Aug 2007, 00:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, actually it seems that the beef between Magnus and Russ existed long before Magnus sent his psychic text message to the Emperor. Russ hated (hates?) psychics as mutants and Magnus was the worst. He was psychic, red and a cyclops.

Magnus taught his legion sorcery and Russ pushed to have sorcery banned. Russ kissed better but (apparently able to give killer puppy dog eyes...which left Magnus at an obvious disadvantage). So the two primarchs were at odds early in the Great Crusade.

Had Horus not betrayed the Emperor, Magnus and Russ would have undoubtedly come to blows. The schisms among the Primarchs (all of them, not just Magnus & Russ) were only exploited by Chaos...not created by Chaos.

In fact, I hold the belief that Guilliman (especially) but Russ & Dorn to a lesser extent forced the hand of the traitor Primarchs. They harassed them, insulted them, criticised them, and corrected them. Actions that in a typical family situation would typically lead to resentment at best and violence at worse. However, among the Primarchs, the idea of "conforming" or bowing to the ideas of another Primarch's will or ideology would have been a very jagged pill to swallow.

Rather than see their differences as asset and use them - Guilliman's organizational skills, Nightlord's ruthlessness, Alphaeus's infiltration skills, Dorn's skill at sieges, Horus's leadership and oversight, etc. The Primarchs insisted on confronting one another about their differences and attempted to "force" some of the more extreme cases to conform. This was the weak point in the armor of the Great Crusade which allowed Chaos to destroy them.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 00:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7 (Aun)
Quote:
Foolish though, Magnus trying to save the emperor and all.
Foolish? What was Foolish was the Emperor not doing anything about what Magnus had told him. If The Emperor had even tried to look into what Magnus was saying then the Heresy would not have been as devastating as it was.
I think I said that wrong. What I meant is the emperor was foolish, not magnus. Though love comes higher than friendship.

Wow you guys sure know a lot. Thanks for the help, its a whole lot more clear to me now.
Old 01 Aug 2007, 01:01   #8 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Quote:
I think I said that wrong. What I meant is the emperor was foolish, not magnus. Though love comes higher than friendship.
Oh, OK then, sorry about that.

Magnus and the Thousand Sons are the only Chaos Marines that cannot be called Traitors, forced to serve chaos to survive. If you look close enough and read between the lines you can see that the entire event was orchestrated by the Chaos God Tzeentch.

Also Mortarian Primarch of the Death Guard also warned Magnus of sorcery because of his own personal loss to it.

Old 01 Aug 2007, 01:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7 (Aun)
Magnus and the Thousand Sons are the only Chaos Marines that cannot be called Traitors, forced to serve chaos to survive. If you look close enough and read between the lines you can see that the entire event was orchestrated by the Chaos God Tzeentch.
Heretic! Heretic! That could technically be said about several of the Chaos legions. Still, as you and I have discussed before, Magnus could have humbled himself and sided with the Emperor to try to do penance for breaking his vow. However, it would have been neigh unto impossible for him to be accepted back into the fold of loyalist Primarchs. He had little choice...but he did have a choice. He's better off for it now anyway.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2007, 01:44   #10 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

I'm not going to go there...must resist argument...X( argh!!