Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldar vs Dark Eldar?
Old 29 Jul 2007, 06:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Eldar vs Dark Eldar?

Are there actually any stories about the two enemy's fighting? I would assume that the dark eldar and craftworld eldar would be constantly at war like in WHFB but this dosnt seem to be the case.
Dire Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 08:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Eldar vs Dark Eldar?

There was once a bettle report in a WD about Asdrubaels Cabal invading an Imperial planet - the Eldar tried to stop them, not because they felt sorry for the humans, but because the assault would have triggered a xenophobic crusade - and an Eldar Craftworld was in the surrounding space....

But I don`t think they lead an all-out war, though - they treat each other as nuisiances, with the DE most probably picking on the Craftworld Eldar only if they can get away with it (I do suppose that the Craftworld Eldar would be the only faction which could, in theory, attack Cormorragh).

Hm... AND I seem to remember one story where a planetary gouvernour once took a couple of soulstones, and fashioned himself a chain out of them. The Craftworld Eldar levelled his planet, captured him, and then gave him to the DE for "punishment"...
So it is possible that, while they might hate each other, their contempt for the other races and their "we`re the masters of the galaxy"-feeling actually "unites" them in certain cases...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 10:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Craftworld Eldar fights for their survival.

The dark kins of commoragh are rarely a substantial enough force to directly threaten the craftworld's survival.

The dark kins fight for slaves.

And there are much easier targets to capture than craftworlders.

Very rarely do they actually come into conflict with one another, the craftworlders will avoid conflict with their degenerative kins if they can. Because there's no end to be accomplished by such a battle.

However, I don't buy the entire kins united stuff, the Craftworlders will destroy the Dark Kin as easily as they destroy insects if need be, whilst the Dark Kin will delight in taking craftworld prisoners and torturing them, probably gives them a huge superiority complex.

In the Eldar 3rd Ed. codex, it tells a fluff where a young warlock tries to debate a Farseer who foresaw a Dark Eldar invasion into a webway branch and sealed off the entire branch. The warlock suggested it might have been better if they had just laid there and ambushed them to wipe them all out, the Farseer said no, not because he wanted to stop the kin strife, but because he couldn't foretell when the Dark Eldar would come, and the ambush might miss. Thus it's better to be safe than sorry. But you could tell from their tone that whilst Exodites, Harlequins and even Corsairs have the Craftworlders' respect, the Dark Kin to them are nothing more than beasts almost.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 13:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Hm... AND I seem to remember one story where a planetary gouvernour once took a couple of soulstones, and fashioned himself a chain out of them. The Craftworld Eldar levelled his planet, captured him, and then gave him to the DE for "punishment"...
So it is possible that, while they might hate each other, their contempt for the other races and their "we`re the masters of the galaxy"-feeling actually "unites" them in certain cases...
A few things about that story though:

1. I believe that it was actually the human guy who ordered the world destroyed - it was an Eldar maiden world, so the Eldar weren't too happy about this.
2. They then handed him over to the Harlequins and it was they who then took him to Commorragh, where he has now spent thousands of years in the company of the Haemonculi. There wasn't actually any contact between the Craftworld and Dark Eldar at all.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 14:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Okay, this makes more sense now. I seriously cannot imagine Craftworlders doing any business with the Dark Kin.

However, Harlequins are in regular contact with all Eldar factions.

Old 30 Jul 2007, 14:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

There is a black library book called warrior coven by C.S. Goto, which involves eldar and dark eldar fighting.

I dont know much else about it, but it mentions them fighting in the summary on the back.

Siruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2007, 04:06   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The Eldar have a couple great reasons not to muck with the DEs.

First, the Harlequins seem to work with the DEs to some extent. The Craftworlds, Exodites, and even Corsairs want to stay on their good side, so they leave the DEs alone. This is probably also a good reason for the DEs to not make too much trouble for the Craftworlds in return.

Secondly, the DEs are feeding Slaanesh. Sure, that's on the one hand a very bad thing as it keeps Slaanesh going, but as long as the DE are a source of "food," He isn't compelled to go looking for more Eldar souls. If the DE were to be wiped out, the Eldar may reason they'd suddenly be confronted by the full weight of Slaanesh's power. So better to let their dark brethren sit on the menu while they try to find a way to be free of Him.
Old 06 Sep 2007, 18:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

There are also several instances in the BFG Armada book that mentions Imperial fleets coming accross Eldar Raiders fighting each other. Since humans can't really tell the difference between craftworld/corsair eldar and the dark Eldar, we can assume that it is Eldar fighting Dark Eldar.

I also seem to recall somewhere in the same book that if Eldar come accross dark eldar, they will try to attack and destroy them as much as possible, though i might just be remembering wrong.
Mr. Trulybored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2007, 02:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
There was once a bettle report in a WD about Asdrubaels Cabal invading an Imperial planet - the Eldar tried to stop them, not because they felt sorry for the humans, but because the assault would have triggered a xenophobic crusade - and an Eldar Craftworld was in the surrounding space....

Third battle report I ever read. Massive 3000-pointer.

In the 13th black crusade the Ulthwe Strikeforce and the Dark Eldar also danced.

Old 07 Sep 2007, 09:09   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

There's a nice little bit of fluff in the Codex about some Incubi killing a bunch of Striking Scorpions.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote