Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Universal entities?
Old 24 Jul 2007, 21:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Universal entities?

So correct me if I'm wrong but the warp permeates not just our galaxy but the entire universe as a whole right? If that is the case then surely gods and other warp bound beings are not limited to just our galaxy. So would it be possilbe for warp beings like the chaos gods that were created in other galaxies to influence our galaxy and vice-verca? Like how the Eldar created slaanesh, could a race in a different galaxy create a new god in much the same way and could that god reach our galaxy through the warp?

Just wondering if it would be possible.
That's what the new Space Marine codex relates to. Grilled puppies.

Thanks to JD for the awesome siggy
Tim the Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 21:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Universal entities?

I doubt it. Despite what is often quoted, time and space do have some sort of meaning in the warp, even if only vaguely and not completely consistently - hence why it generally takes longer and is more dangerous to do a warp jump to a more distant location. So, any other gods created in the warp in other galaxies would be isolated from our own, by the vast ocean of calm that is intergalactic space.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 22:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

See I thought that as well for daemons but I wondered whether or not beings as mighty as the chaos gods would be able to cross the distance. Also that got me thinking that as the chaos gods are created by different psychic emotions and its likely that races in other galaxies are capable of processing the same emotions would they create another version of the same god or would their emotions be so subtly different that they would create entirely different gods for the same psychic emotion.

Old 24 Jul 2007, 22:18   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I doubt the Chaos Gods could cross the void. They are manifestations of the emotional state of the mortals in real-space, so moving beyond the bounds of the galaxy would be like a whale trying to walk across the Skeleton Coast.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 22:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Makes sense, I guess that there would be no mortals to draw their power from on the way across the void.

Old 24 Jul 2007, 22:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

But Tyranids are crossing the void to our galaxy so thier thoughts and emotions (I'm hungry) could allow for some entities to cross over to other galaxies.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 22:24   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Viewed that way, it is possible that this is what the Shadow in the Warp really is.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 22:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Although it would mean that a warp entity could travel with the Tyranids I was under the impression that the nids were only coming to our galaxy because they had already consumed all life on theirs so a warp entity going the other way would be pointless. Maybe warp entities could migrate along with real-space organisms from galaxy to galaxy.

Old 25 Jul 2007, 03:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Gada Mazaha Send a message via MSN to Gada Mazaha

I don't think that how the Shadow of the Warp works at all. It's not a warp entity per say, it only exists because the Tyranids do, and the Tyranids exist to serve it. I think it exists on another plane of reality. It is not something that can be created or destroyed, and it's entirely independent of the Warp itself. It causes it's "shadow" because there is such an overflow of psychic emanation and static that it floods the channel, allowing nothing else to get through. The more Tyranids there are, the stronger and larger the shadow is.

Think of it like this. There is a universal radio channel(the warp), and every Tyranid carries a "radio"(synapse), and if they are constantly talking to each other all the time, nothing else would be able to get through, as the Tyranids have a higher priority on the channel than others. Does that make sense?
Gada Mazaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2007, 04:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Would be interesting if it was a god though. Warp gods are created by emotions. I can't really imagine Tyranids having much in the way of emotions except perhaps hunger and greed. So maybe the Shadow in the Warp is the Chaos God of that? Would be quite disturbing, when you realise that humans and all the other races would be contributing to it as well...

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote