Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How does he do it...
Old 24 Jul 2007, 14:54   #1 (permalink)
Anton

Default How does he do it...

Heya,

If there is one question that keeps cropping up in my mind, it's that how come Abaddon has launched 13 failed Black Crusades, yet he has not been killed or overthrown? How come in every major campaign Chaos participate in, they always get defaced by some rather daft situation, and are denied the chance to win?

Why Abaddon? Why not one of the so called "Daemon Primarch's?"
Old 24 Jul 2007, 15:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: How does he do it...

Well, it's not like he's accomplished nothing. Almost each and every Black Crusade inflicts much more damage than it receives in turn. Do not forget Abadon's successful acquisition of the Blackstone Fortresses and the crippling blow he dealt to Cadia recently. Just because his soldiers have ultimately failed in their every final offensive does not mean Abadon is not worthy of command. He is actually a adept leader, obviously so if he consolidated the many walks of Chaos into a respectable army.

Why Magnus or Fulgrim does not lead the crusades I'm very unsure of. GW mostly wants to get all the Primarchs, loyalist or traitor, out of the game's active setting by either damning them all to the Immaterium or the Eye of Terror. For fluffy reasons I would say that the Daemon Primarchs could not be summoned by anyone because of the power/resources it would exhaust.

Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 15:11   #3 (permalink)
Anton

Indeed. I don't understand why GW hasn't just killed the Primarch's off and called it quits.

The page dedicated to Abaddon in the Current Chaos Space Marine Codex is about as much use as toilet paper. I started 40k the day the 4th ed. Rulebook came out, so I missed out on things like 'Eye of Terror,' so I had no idea of the capture of the Blackstone Fortresses and the Hammering Cadia took.

Why are GW keeping that all hushed up... :
Old 24 Jul 2007, 18:18   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Abaddon hasn't failed all 13 some of them wasn't to attack and take control of the galaxy. Some of the crusades have been with just hundreds of men after the Horus heresy
Lascannons for the FREAK God
Khorne_chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2007, 05:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've never heard of any background information on the first eleven crusades. Were all their targets Cadia?
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2007, 05:38   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Abaddon doesn't always lead from the front. The 12th Black Crusade (The Gothic War) was decided mainly via naval engagements. There wasn't all that much planetary combat involved.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2007, 05:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Truth be told, abaddon was a very powerful figure, as the self claimed, Son of Horus, he earned respect from all the leigons, not to mention he was the lord of the Largest and most powerful army of CSMs: The Black Leigon. How he wasn't killed...... I dont know, but i've killed him a couple times in random games with 10yr olds :P. Why a prince or even a Primarch didn't lead the crusades...... beats me

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2007, 07:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I remember one old Battle Report in a WD (still 2nd Ed), where Abaddon nearly died to an Ork-thrown Warp-field-Grenade (or whatever it was called)... unfortunately, the Mech who threw it forgot to pull the pin (or something similar stupid).

Yeah, those were the days... ;D
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2007, 11:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Granted, even if he DOES come close to dying (RE: That batrep versus the Biel Tan Eldar) the "gods of Chaos" (GW staffers...lol) whisk him away from harm.

And, there's the good ol' chestnut of -"There could be many copies of Abaddon, as the Warp is a wide and wondrous place" (RE: How come Chaos doesn't run out of Marines after 10 thousand years?).

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2007, 05:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hey Guys,

This is a great topic: For Warhammer Universe... So thats where it's going.

TTFN,
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote