Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Before the astronomicon
Old 13 Jul 2007, 10:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Before the astronomicon

How did humans get around in the warp before the emperor and the astronomicon existed in the golden age of technology? And were Humanity's enemy's like chaos and the orks around in the golden age of technology?
Dire Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 11:26   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Before the astronomicon

Orks and Eldar were around. "Chaos" did not seem to exist as a foe in itself until the Heresy broke out; according to the Horus Heresy Trilogy, very few knew of Chaos, and great efforts were made to keep its existence secret.

It is unclear, but presumed, that the Emperor could "calm" the Warp himself. That, or the Warp itself was simply not as violent in its activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 15:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Don't forget as well that for about 5 millennia before the Age of the Imperium there was no warp travel on any kind of large scale (the Age of Strife), so it wasn't really relevant.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 15:22   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I imagine you could also navigate via a large number of smaller astropathic choirs set up on a lot of different planets nearby. You would not need one massive lighthouse if you have a lot of smaller lights set up in array much closer to you. This is probably also how Macharius was still able to navigate past the range of the Astronomicon.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 15:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It actually explains (either in the old Guard Codex, or the 3rd ed. rulebook, I forget which) how they did it, in an extract from General Sejanus' "Breaching the Darkness". They had to crawl forwards, dropping out of the warp every few light years to get their bearings from real-world phenomena as they had no frame of reference within the warp itself.

Old 13 Jul 2007, 15:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
It actually explains (either in the old Guard Codex, or the 3rd ed. rulebook, I forget which) how they did it, in an extract from General Sejanus' "Breaching the Darkness". They had to crawl forwards, dropping out of the warp every few light years to get their bearings from real-world phenomena as they had no frame of reference within the warp itself.
So, quite comparable to the Tau way of travelling? Only they actually entered the Wapr, whereas the Tau are merely "diving" into it, scratching only the surface?
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 16:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Kinda. Only the Tau are actually set up for that sort of thing, so they probably have a much better time of it. Imperial ships and fleets are designed and operate under the assumption that they'll have the Astronomican as a guide.

Old 13 Jul 2007, 16:38   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Macharius's jumps would have been faster individually, but they would probably not be as linear as Tau jumps.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 22:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

plus tau are almost immune to the effects of the warp so it is much less dangerous for them, all they have to worrie about is going off course, not having thier souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"Life liberty and the pursuit of cheese"- Me

All the tau have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party

"And we shall know fear!"-honored battle cry of the SMs also known as Sissy Marines. The chapter was later declared Worthless Extrimis after crying when shot at by Orks in the chapters first engagment. In the AER (After Execution Review) Inquistor Exter said "It was just breaking my heart to see those grown marines cry."

Tau Wins: 2 Draws:0 Losses: 0
SMs Wins: 64 Draw
Bob the Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 22:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to RaShan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Avenger
plus tau are almost immune to the effects of the warp so it is much less dangerous for them, all they have to worrie about is going off course, not having their souls eaten and their bodies being worn as a tuxedo to a slaughter-party
Well good,no worries then,huh?
They would have to assume the postion they were in by nearby planets already stated above, hoping that they were in the right direction,but I do think they would generally have a slight hint of where they were and not just shooting to hopefully hit target.

Happy Hunting!

Ps That was soo almost sigi'd! lol

Tau {to be named} Victories
Win:5 Lose:4 Tie:2

Consider it a success if you can talk a Khorne Berserker out of taking your skull at the first instant he meets you

(loads plasma rifle) BANG!

Oh look, he understood me. =D -Faolin

I could almost see that.
Like if a few Tau went off and they were found and brainwashed and what not. Then, they are made into Tau Marine things. That would be crazy. "And they shall know no close combat skills"~ Xv15 Stealth
RaShan is offline   Reply With Quote