Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can Imperial Guard fight chaos space marines and live to tell the tail?
Old 08 Jul 2007, 23:12   #1 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Default Can Imperial Guard fight chaos space marines and live to tell the tail?

Recently I got the book Tactica Imperialis and in it there is a story about an Imperial guard regiment that ends up fighting against a chaos space marine warband.

The Imperial Guard regiment wins the battle, but they are all executed to prevent any possible taint from spreading.

So my question is, can imperial guard fight against chaos space marines without getting killed by both sides?
Old 08 Jul 2007, 23:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Can Imperial Guard fight chaos space marines and live to tell the tail?

A similar thing happened to the defenders of Armageddon after the first war. Instead of being executed though, they were all sent to nasty gulag-type work camps to toil until they dropped in rebuilding the shattered world.

It does depend on circumstances I think. Back during Armageddon One (around 500.M41 IIRC) the Imperium was in much better circumstances than it is now - no Necrons or Tyranids, Ghazghkull hadn't even been born, 12 black crusades had been successfully seen off, etc.
Therefore at that time they could have afforded to be so harsh with their own troops. Now though, things are more desperate so they probably wouldn't be quite so willing to sacrifice their own soldiers in such a wasteful manner.

And it also probably depends upon the unit in question. Cadians would most likely be allowed to live and fight again, for example.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2007, 23:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Can Imperial Guard fight chaos space marines and live to tell the tail?

I want to say this is a 'rare occurrence ' but high command may feel the need to cleanse their own men should the need arise (dealing with Nurgle's Rot comes to mind).
To answer your question, yes, the Imperial Guard have dealt many decisive blows against the forces of Chaos and have come out on top. Keep in mind that the IG is composed of mere humans, a weak-willed pawn of a dystopia-type empire can hear the whispers of the Ruinous Powers more than Imperials like to believe.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2007, 08:54   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Both examples you mention (Tactica Imperialis and Armageddon) are examples of extremely powerful Chaos Champions, causing massive levels of corruption.

In a "normal" battle against Chaos, cleansing is not necessary (although spiritual cleansing by Confessors and the like will be a regular occurence for armies facing the Ruinous Powers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2007, 18:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They would have to execute a lot of Cadians.

* The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

~Uthan the Perverse.
marine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2007, 19:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If they are steadfast, brave, and the commisar keeps them under control, and/or the Chaos marine armour fails hold up some how (A gaurdsman with a lasgun [flashlight] would be lucky if he at least killed ONE marine!) Then there may be a chance.

But like a couple of people said, the entire regiment would be killed to prevent Chaos taint. Or cleansed, but not killed by a confessor.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig
Bugga62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2007, 19:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Aunva Drklite

If a piece of the armour or the like embedded into a guards skin then yes. But i haven't heard of it happening before mainly because i havn't read either of those books. I could imagine that a confessor would administer ritual's and the such and only in extreme cases would execution be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugga62
If they are steadfast, brave, and the commisar keeps them under control, and/or the Chaos marine armour fails hold up some how (A gaurdsman with a lasgun [flashlight] would be lucky if he at least killed ONE marine!) Then there may be a chance.

But like a couple of people said, the entire regiment would be killed to prevent Chaos taint. Or cleansed, but not killed by a confessor.
plus its more like a few guards would be lucky to kill a space marine however something lucky may happen. Take for example Mkoll from Gaunts Ghosts managed to destroy a dreadnaught by piercing the eye slit with a lass round setting of a huge explosion.

p.s. after this he refused to take credit for this :P now that is soldiering

My kit at the moment
Aunva Drklite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2007, 21:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, since all IGs know about the existence of Chaos Marines, I doubt that they would be executed (especially if they won - after all, experience at killing CSM can come in handy later on!).

Demons, now, are a completely different matter. Wittnessing a massive Demon incursion, I believe, is a more... pressing... matter for the Inquisition. You can`t have rumours floating about about... things... with massive cleavers manifesting out of thin air, or of a Chaos Marine suddenly splitting open, and a Greater Demon crawling out of this weak flesh shell? This could cause some serious doubts about the power of the God-Emperor, now, could it?
So, I think after Demons were fought, some cleansing by the I-guys will be necessary (frankly, I keep wondering how Gaunts Ghosts have survived so long - after all, they faced Demons on numnerous occasions... But I guess they will be "dealt with" as soon as the Sabbat Worlds Crusade is over).
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 02:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I don't think they'd execute them because they were going to tell everyone that Demons exist. I'm pretty sure most of the Imperium knows that there's creatures in the warp (which is why its bad), if they did at all it would probably be more of a safeguard to prevent corruption/mercy from what those poor bastards saw.

The concept of executing an entire regiment of guardsmen doesn't really seem practical in anycase though. It's not like they're going to line up to take a bullet to the head, they'd end up wasting even more time and manpower killing their own men.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 02:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Let's keep in mind that the Russians interred their own soldiers in prison camps following WWII because they had been exposed to "Western capitalist propaganda". If they would go to such extremes to "reeducate" their soldiers, how much moreso would the Imperium try to purge any taint of chaos from their troops?
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote