Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Quick question about Black Library and the 40k universe...
Old 01 Jul 2007, 00:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak
Default Quick question about Black Library and the 40k universe...

Well, I've been reading a lot out of the Black Library lately, and I had a major question about the actual stories themselves. For all intents and purposes for fluff and history, do the stories of Dan Abnett and the likes count as happening in the 40k universe?

For example, take the story in Deus Encarmine and Deus Sanguinious (the Blood Angels novels), in which the 3rd company is torn apart into civil war and has a massive battle with the rest of the chapter (including Mephiston) due to a shism caused by Inquisitor Stele, who turned out to be working for chaos. Since the book was published as part of the Black Library, is this official GW released backround? Or is it simply regarded as fan-fiction, with no real relevance?

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2007, 04:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Re: Quick question about Black Library and the 40k universe...

The general take is no, but some stuff, especially by Abnett, has been turned into 40k background. Take Gaunt's Ghosts, the Sabbat Worlds Crusade, Eisenhorn, ect. All is acknowledged 40k fluff.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2007, 14:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

Cool, thats what I needed. Thanks!

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2007, 09:42   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

No, GW regards it as canon, to all intents and purposes. Marc Gascoigne, from the Black Publishing Division of Games Workshop, has given a quote (well, more than one) about it, from here:

Quote:
Here's our standard line: Yes it's all official, but remember that we're reporting back from a time where stories aren't always true, or at least 100% accurate. if it has the 40K logo on it, it exists in the 40k universe. Or it was a legend that may well have happened. Or a rumour that may or may not have any truth behind it.

Let's put it another way: anything with a 40K logo on it is as official as any Codex... and at least as crammed full of rumours, distorted legends and half-truths.

Marc Gascoigne
Publisher, The Black Library and Black Flame
And this one:

Quote:
I'll happily be your tree. But I'm not sure you'll hear much of a crash. I weary of this question, and I weary of typing it all in yet again, yet again.

I think the real problem for me, and I speak for no other, is that the topic as a "big question" doesn't matter. It's all as true as everything else, and all just as false/half-remembered/sort-of-true. The answer you are seeking is "Yes and no" or perhaps "Sometimes". And for me, that's the end of it.

Now, ask us some specifics, eg can Black Templars spit acid and we can answer that one, and many others. But again note thet answer may well be "sometimes" or "it varies" or "depends".

But is it all true? Yes and no. Even though some of it is plainly contradictory? Yes and no. Do we deliberately contradict, retell with differences? Yes we do. Is the newer the stuff the truer it is? Yes and no. In some cases is it true that the older stuff is the truest? Yes and no. Maybe and sometimes. Depends and it varies.

It's a decaying universe without GPS and galaxy-wide communication, where precious facts are clung to long after they have been changed out of all recognition. Read A Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter M Miller, about monks toiling to hold onto facts in the aftermath of a nucelar war; that nails it for me.

Sorry, too much splurge here. Not meant to sound stroppy.

To attempt answer the initial question: What is GW's definition of canon? Perhaps we don't have one. Sometimes and maybe. Or perhaps we do and I'm not telling you.

Marc Gascoigne
Publisher, BL Publishing
So yes, since Black Library is the Publishing division of Games Workshop, all Black Library material is canon. Any mistakes can usually be amalgamated with a bit of thought, or if not, then it's the case that one fact isn't true.
Mechanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2007, 11:21   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I have a way of viewing this stuff now...

Imagine that you are reading whatever it is you are reading whilst stood within a massive Library-vault on Terra. You come across a story with a receipt date of "5.412.766.M39". Now, not only is this over two millennia old, but the original signal was a bit hotch-potch as well. Odds are, various details will have been deleted, omitted, corrupted, mistranslated, misdirected, misunderstood, reworked, reworded or bastardised.

There's no way to get a solid "truth", you just need to find lies that match up with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote