Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Just how does Sonic Weaponry work?
Old 30 Jun 2007, 07:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Just how does Sonic Weaponry work?

I was putting together some Noise Marines, and I wondered:

how is the sound directed to specifically take out an enemy, without busting the eardrums of the Allies?

Little help here?
Old 30 Jun 2007, 09:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Just how does Sonic Weaponry work?

earplugs....

no, seriously... there is not any known technology that lets us direct the sound in one direction without it spreading all over the place. plus the recoil of sending a shockwave that can destroy tanks will kick the shooter many hundred meters backwards.

all in all there is no known technology we could use for this purpose.
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 09:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

If we're talking 'what if, some day...?' my guess it's some sort of satellite dish, sending ultrasone waves. Sound can bend (you can hear people around a corner of a street), so technically, you could 'hide' behind 'something' to keep from ending up as the enemy, who hasn't have the device you're using. Sounds a bit simple, mmh... I think it could be done though, some day, a dish sending out ultrasone waves of such frequency, it disrupts any technology, or biological lifeforms (or infrasone, that's another possibility, and yes it does exist).
In star wars 5 the geonosians have a sonic weapon, in the 'arena sequence', the soundwave blasts a stone pillar.
Actually, so the sound causes tiny yet strong vibrations, which could have an effect on the bloodstream, heart, and brainactivity, if used accurately

'Bernard, do you think I should wash my beard?'
- 'Yes Manny, I think you should wash your beard, and shave it off, staple it to a frisbee, and fling it over a rainbow.'

Me : Pulp Fiction? Please, this amount of blood, can best be compared with 'showdown at the house of blue leaves' in Kill Bill 1.
T-002 : Sweet Charles Dickens, that much? It was a man, you know, not a 15-gallon barrel of blood...
Ineluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 10:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think it works by playing Britney Spears or something like that loud enough to drive you insane hence it works on tanks crews. All allies are trained to ignore it ad are given noise cancelling headphones to listen to proper music while they destroy a planet be they were bored.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
freezing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 13:22   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Or it could be some sort of device that directs and/or cancels it out around them.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 13:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by executioner

no, seriously... there is not any known technology that lets us direct the sound in one direction without it spreading all over the place.
And upon that sentance Hadhfang took it upon himself to prove executioner wrong, having seen such weapons on the discovery channel he did travel to the hallowed halls of wikipedia where he did find this link

Quote:
plus the recoil of sending a shockwave that can destroy tanks will kick the shooter many hundred meters backwards.
all in all there is no known technology we could use for this purpose.
And he saw the knowledge he had deliverd and he thought that it was good. But the question still required an answer so again he journeyed to the halls of wikipedia and retrieved this link On sonic weaponry thus completing his journey.

So yes, we can direct sound and that is some info on how it is or can be used as a weapon.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 16:14   #7 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

The Sonic weapons of Noise marines are Daemonic in origin. They don't need the laws of physics.
Old 09 Jul 2007, 15:31   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo
I think it works by playing Britney Spears or something like that loud enough to drive you insane hence it works on tanks crews. All allies are trained to ignore it ad are given noise cancelling headphones to listen to proper music while they destroy a planet be they were bored.
OK, so at GD Baltimore the DJ was a devotee of Slanesh and was attempting to kill us all with an underpowered Daemonic Weapon.

As for the sound waves not affecting the allies of the Chaos Army...um, they are Chaos and don't care if they blow eardrums out.
Lo pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2007, 15:45   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

For me I always think of sonic weapons as like the weapons used by the Geenosians in Star Wars 2 : Attack of the Clones.

It will power up some sort of energy wave into the weapon and the they release the sound as a way to propel the energy forward. As it hits the target, the weapon will fracture the organs and thus cause serious internal injuries.

Since sound waves can be transported through the air using some sort of vibration, and energy waves can go through air, why not combine the two together?

This is my take on the sonic weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2007, 15:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
For me I always think of sonic weapons as like the weapons used by the Geenosians in Star Wars 2 : Attack of the Clones.
Dude! That's what I said, apart from typing 5 instead of 2...
So it IS true, my comments ARE invisible. :'(

'Bernard, do you think I should wash my beard?'
- 'Yes Manny, I think you should wash your beard, and shave it off, staple it to a frisbee, and fling it over a rainbow.'

Me : Pulp Fiction? Please, this amount of blood, can best be compared with 'showdown at the house of blue leaves' in Kill Bill 1.
T-002 : Sweet Charles Dickens, that much? It was a man, you know, not a 15-gallon barrel of blood...
Ineluki is offline   Reply With Quote