Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

When did the current, modern-day religions die out?
Old 14 Jun 2007, 19:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22
Default When did the current, modern-day religions die out?

When did Christianity and all the others die out? What happened? Was there some great horrible thing that made everyone forget? Are there ANY bibles left in the 40k galaxy?
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2007, 19:18   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: When did the current, modern-day religions die out?

I would imagine that they faded out before mankind's major colonization push, if they had not already. We are talking about a time period on the order of at least 10,000 years before the rise of the Emperor. That is a lot of time for any culture to survive. Things just change like that over time. It is never mentioned as a factor in any of the human worlds that were reincorporated during the Great Crusade. It would be very unlikely for paper copies of any religious texts to survive for more than a few hundred years without sophisticated environmental controls, and digital copies would have struggled to survive mankind's war with its own machines. Any shreads that survived are close enough in symbolism to the Imperial Cult that the Ecclesiarchy would just intepret them as a different way of worshiping the Emperor. That is their normal approach when incorportating other religions into the Imperium.

But the answer is probably better addressed out-of-game. GW just didn't want to deal with it, and with good reason.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2007, 19:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, it's not like there are any modern-day religions who are represented within current GW storylines. :

I think it is as Khanaris said, GW didn't want to have to deal with it. Because you have "good and evil" factions it would be tough to represent modern religions in the game.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2007, 19:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22

I understand why they didn't want to. It'd anger the religious people. :P

Perhaps, somewhere on Holy Terra, deep underground, there're ruins of a church with a bible in it lol... That'd actually make a neat fan-made 40k Pencil and Paper RPG story...
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2007, 20:05   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luy22
Perhaps, somewhere on Holy Terra, deep underground, there're ruins of a church with a bible in it lol... That'd actually make a neat fan-made 40k Pencil and Paper RPG story...
It has been proposed. I can recall someone trying to write background for their Space Marine Chapter along those lines. But I still tend to think that an Imperial scribe coming across such a thing would not find it all that surprising (aside from its age, of couse). The details could easily get lost in translation and allegory. It wouldn't take too much twisting to wrap Christianity into the religion of the Imperium. They would just say that God was the Emperor, and that would pretty much be the end of it. That is sort of how GW gets around the idea of the Imperium having such religious fervor without having to wipe out every planet that chooses to worship the Emperor a little differently.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 02:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

To the Imperium, anything from ancestor worship, nature shamanistic mythology and normal monotheistic religion is worship of the Emperor. They'd shrug off Christianity as one of the millions of faiths that existed before hinting towards the true nature of the Emperor.

Think about it, how old is Christianity? a little over 2000 years old. How many religions in the world lasted in force for say, over 3,000 years? Okay, Judaism, yes.

The Emperor led his geneticaly modified warriors on what was imaginably a very enlightened campaign on Earth that would have seen everybody convert.

"You worship Jesus? Why...I AM JESUS! ....erh...yeah, it was one of my manifestations....your worship of Jesus has been of me all along, what? Jehovah? Yeah no I'm that guy too...look I'm all of them okay? And I have the biggest strongest army here, End of story."

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 04:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

I'm not to sure if you're right, Mongoose...

When the Emperor came to power, he used science to (or science already had) pretty much level all current religions. We've been shown by the Horus Heresy books that the Emperor actually frowned upon organized religion in general. He thought that humanity was better off not worshiping things that science could disprove (or for any matter, not prove).

The Emperor's Imperium was a secular empire.

-Grandpa Ducky

(Actually maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but the way I'm reading it is you'd be implying that Emperor was worshiped as a God from the get-go till his 'entombing' in the Golden Throne.)

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 04:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, you are misinterpreting my post. But then reading back I would also misinterpret my post cos it's worded very badly.

So my bad.

My point is that the Emperor would have gotten his way around all the religions through persuasion. It doesn't seem to be like the Emperor to eradicate other faiths by force.

Old 15 Jun 2007, 04:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Ok, that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmongoose2003
It doesn't seem to be like the Emperor to eradicate other faiths by force.
Reading that puts in mind images of the Emperor time traveling around and executing Jesus, tackling Buddha, and strangling Muhammad. Funny stuff.

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 05:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

They say he's implacable

They say he's indefatigable

"The Emperor", after stealing the Asian Heavyweight Championship from Buddha, and defeating Lao Tzu in 'The Showdown', is back, once more.

And this time, he's going for the big one!

This Saturday, exclusive to Channel 6, "The Emperor" versus Jesus H. Christ in

'The Showdown 2: This time, it's biblical!'.

Pay per view only.