Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

When did the current, modern-day religions die out?
Old 15 Jun 2007, 06:25   #11 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky
Default Re: When did the current, modern-day religions die out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmongoose2003
This Saturday, exclusive to Channel 6, "The Emperor" versus Jesus H. Christ in

'The Showdown 2: This time, it's biblical!'.
Ha ha ha! That's worth siggying! I'm half tempted to actually siggy that too; doing away with my traditional siggy.

Very funny,

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 08:30   #12 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

If not before, the modern religions would have died when it was proven they were a load of crap.

Preaching to a Daemon does not work. However, channelling the Warp Energies of the Emperor can blast the thing into a whole new layer of Hell!

We know that "Faith" does indeed work in 40K. I think the reason it works is that the Faiths are warp-based. As our religions are basically just a collective game of make-believe in comparisson, it wouldn't take long for someone to realise how bloody stupid it is to worship something that doesn't exist... that or just deploy the Astartes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 08:35   #13 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ducky
Ok, that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmongoose2003
It doesn't seem to be like the Emperor to eradicate other faiths by force.
Reading that puts in mind images of the Emperor time traveling around and executing Jesus, tackling Buddha, and strangling Muhammad. Funny stuff.

-Grandpa Ducky
Somewhere, I'm not sure where, it was hinted that the Emperor had always been immortal, and that he had been among his people since the very start. Another interpretation could be that he actually is all of those prominent religious figures.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 10:12   #14 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Well yeah, The Emperor's according to old fluff been around since 8,000 BC, and he's apparently intervened with humanity from time to time.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2007, 10:04   #15 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian

wow!

The Emporer in his youth.

"I'm sexier than Budda and Harder than Jesus!"

& if you know were this quoet really comes from you rock!

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
wyrd_ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 21:51   #16 (permalink)
Shas'La

All the religions died out when they realized that the guy in the golden amour and with the massive Rocket-launcher-machine-gun with the creepy Psychic powers was the guy who they had waited for to bring them eternal peace by Violently Crushing any and All Opposition. Heh Jesus versus the emporer... Jesus would say "Now turn the other cheek my son" and the Emporer would put bolter rounds in his chest. actually its fairly likely that the Emporer was A Muslim or catholic because it said he was born near Greece or Turkey.
Generally the archetype within fantasy and sci-fi is that if a character looks good, then he/she is good, if they're ugly then they're probably evil. (I'm looking at YOU TOLKIEN!!)
Radio-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2007, 22:03   #17 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Going by the old fluff, the Emperor was born in Anatolia (where Modern Turkey is today) around 6000BC or some similarly ancient time, predating pretty much all the religions that are still around today (except possibly Hinduism). Christianity and Islam didn't even exist until many thousands of years later.

BTW, people from Greece and Anatolia weren't Catholics anyway. They were Orthodox.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2007, 04:46   #18 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrkin
BTW, people from Greece and Anatolia weren't Catholics anyway. They were Orthodox.
Which is not saying much considering that the Pope and the the leaders of the Orthodox church are trying to get the Church(The Way, the Catholic Church, the Universal Church, whichever you prefer) back together.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2007, 14:20   #19 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They've been trying to do that on and off for the past millennium. I don't particularly rate their chances.

Anyway, back on topic:

There would almost certainly be none of the modern-day religions left in 40k time, or even during the Dark Age of Technology. They'd have either completely died out and gone the way of Roman Paganism, or would have changed so much over the millennia as to be practically unrecognisable through countless schisms, doctrinal disputes, political changes and other stuff.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2007, 21:17   #20 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrkin

Sorry i got that fact wrong. I didn't know what time frame we were talking about. well if he was that old its a good chance he's just about everyone in religion, kind of like a one man Wold newton family...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wold_Newton_family
Generally the archetype within fantasy and sci-fi is that if a character looks good, then he/she is good, if they're ugly then they're probably evil. (I'm looking at YOU TOLKIEN!!)
Radio-star is offline   Reply With Quote