Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Golden Men?
Old 11 Jun 2007, 21:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Golden Men?

I keep hearing talk of the Golden Men, but I have no idea who or what they were. I know the older (and IMO better) story of the Emperor's origins were scrapped. The one about the old shamans combining in the warp etc. So if anyone could explain the new fluff, or point me to a site or book with it, it would be nice. Thanks.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 22:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Golden Men?

The Golden Men thread comes from the belief that before the essential fall of man (I forget the "Age"), mankind was united and creating all sorts of mad technology due to STC's (about which I have a mad theory...but that's for another post). Mankind was probably at his zenith. Then mankind fell - people died and, essentially, the only intelligent and remotely psychic person left alive was the Emperor. Because the rest of mankind was suddenly dumb...they looked upon the Emperor as a god. I'm not sure where to point you for info because the Wiki article is wrong (or was the last time I checked).

Sorry if I seem less than enthused about the storyline, but the Shaman thread was much more tasty and had more room for interesting developments.

Cheers.
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 22:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

We, here and now, are the Golden Men. We grow and prosper in the coming millenium and spread across the stars resently vacated by the fallen Eldar Empire. We grow and have alot of cool tech that helps. This is I think the Dark Age of Technology but I'm not certain. The Emperor is born towards the beging of this and hides in the shadows until we need him. Golden Men build the Iron Men who revolt leading to the fall of the Golden Men. Stone Men come up and are more numerous, thats the current inhabitants of the Imperium, and they continue and finally everything falls apart and there is a great civil war and the Human Empire falls and Earth is isolated. The Emperor comes along reunites Earth makes some SMurfs then when the Warp Storms around Earth subside the great crusade begins and the Imperium is formed.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 23:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I thought that the Fall of the Eldar happened just before the Emperor united the galaxy? And the birth of Slaanesh was what calmed the Warp & blew away the Warp Storms surrounding Earth so that space travel wasn't so dangerous.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 01:57   #5 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Quote:
We, here and now, are the Golden Men. We grow and prosper in the coming millenium and spread across the stars resently vacated by the fallen Eldar Empire. We grow and have alot of cool tech that helps. This is I think the Dark Age of Technology but I'm not certain. The Emperor is born towards the beging of this and hides in the shadows until we need him. Golden Men build the Iron Men who revolt leading to the fall of the Golden Men. Stone Men come up and are more numerous, thats the current inhabitants of the Imperium, and they continue and finally everything falls apart and there is a great civil war and the Human Empire falls and Earth is isolated. The Emperor comes along reunites Earth makes some SMurfs then when the Warp Storms around Earth subside the great crusade begins and the Imperium is formed.
THAT WHOLE THING is just a copy of the Greek creation myth!!!
Come on GW, come up with something by yourselves!!
Old 12 Jun 2007, 02:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Actually, no, ThatGuy is right.

At the zenith of humanity, we were developing alongside the Eldar Empire, who was also at it's peak in terms of manpower and space (but decaying socially long before then it's hinted).

But yes, we are supposed to be the Golden Men, the so called Dark Age of Technology, the peak of mankind's achievements, happened at M20. We had warp drives, fully working STCs, powerful navigator houses, harmony with most aliens, and frankly, we were the ultimate utopian view of the sci-fi humans.

But then around M25, known as the Age of Strife, humanity's downfall, several things occured. Firstly, on every world with a human population, psyckers began to spontaneously appear. A huge galaxy wide war between the psyckers and their persecutors occured. Civil war and localized strife in every corner of humanity. Deamonic possessions began to happen and widespread insantiy amongst entire populations. Clans and empires fought each other, orks and other aliens were quick to hit the weakened defences and overwhelmed many worlds. Terra itself was isolated from other worlds by massive warp storms.

These warp storms then ended with the birth of Slannesh, around M29. THEN the great crusade would come, replacing the fallen Eldar Empire.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 23:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7 (Aun)
Quote:
THAT WHOLE THING is just a copy of the Greek creation myth!!!
Come on GW, come up with something by yourselves!!
I'm not so sure I want GW to create a story on that scale...they decided to put in Gods as playable units, and they aren't even the posterboy army.... Not trying to change this into a GW-hate thread, but while I do agree that it is boring(bad) to just copy-paste something already created by someone else, they don't exactly have a spotless record.

On topic though, why are the current inhabitants calling themselves "stone"? Because of the relative level of their understanding of technology, or something else entirely?
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 09:11   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
On topic though, why are the current inhabitants calling themselves "stone"? Because of the relative level of their understanding of technology, or something else entirely?
Possibly that or maybe it's because the Imperium refuses to budge on ANY front: Little technology is understood, people don't develop and build new plans, they fear new, the Imperium itself just simply refuses to move over, theres a hard lined anti-Xenos feeling in any department.

Put simply the Imperium refuses to change - much like a rock.

(BTW - i'm no fluff expert here, so Don't kill me when it comes to unraveling my argument!)

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2007, 00:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

how about the iron men? :
it was in one of the "gaunt's ghosts" books
something about a stc creating iron men with ai and very tough.
only problem was that when gaunt and his crew got there, chaos had corrupted it

sigged by DRobot

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying". -Oscar Wilde

"When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing".-unknown

"we're not retreating; we're advancing in another direction"-General Douglas MacArthur
Grey Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 13:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Iron Men are the robots who served the Golden Men, if I am not mistaken.
dunehunter is offline   Reply With Quote