Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos and Tau
Old 06 Jun 2007, 19:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Chaos and Tau

Im looking for any kind of conflict that has ever occured between the chaos and Tau. The Tau hasn't even begun to decipher the warp, have they even encountered the ruinous powers? Are there any records of Tau possession, or Tau fleets being lost in warp strorms? anything like that would be good....

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Sitarangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 19:55   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Chaos and Tau

With the method they use now, Tau ships can not really get lost in the Warp. And there are no accounts of possession, aside from a few conversions for Daemonhunters adversaries with no discription. They have fought Chaos Marines a few times in the background, but they didn't seem to consider them as any different than other humans at that point. The closest we get to influence would be Kais being influenced a little by Khorne in Fire Warrior. The Ethereal in that was not influenceable. Tau just aren't that sensitive to it.

So the best examples of Tau coming up against the agents of the Warp would be the Medusa campaign and Fire Warrior. At this point it is more correct to say that the Tau have begun to decipher the mysteries of the Warp, but only so much as they have decided to avoid it whenever possible.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 01:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

There was a record in a WD about the first Tau encounter with Chaos, it was an encounter with Slannesh. But it was clearly just a local cult lead by some kind of arch heretic. The battle was only significant because the kroots cannibalizing the Slannesh corpses turned them against the Tau. But otherwise the Tau cadre made short work of the barely supported and disorganized cult.

The funniest part of that story is that Tau of course have no idea who Slannesh or Chaos are, thus when they killed the Arch Heretic they thought they had killed Slannesh himself...

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 11:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

there is a region of space near the tau region of space (in the codex, cant remember its name) that is *almost* a region of warp/real space overlap. Weird things have been known to happen there, and it is constantly patrolled by the kor. Chaos? Sure, they're probably skulking around.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 14:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Perdus Rift, you mean?

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 17:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrkin
The Perdus Rift, you mean?
Thats the place.

On the subject of the Tau and Chaos I think its more safe to assume that the Tau know what the 'Warp' is and they understand that it does nasty stuff to Gue'la, turning them into Mont'au Gue'la (Age of War Humans). However on the exact details of possession or how it occurs or even recognising the signs of taint. I believe the Tau have absolutely no idea.

Of the three texts mentioned I could find no other sources when I wrote my 'AL-12a' fluff and I based that of what I had found. I.e. The Tau don't understand the 'cruelty' aspect of the ruinous powers or even how the Gue'la can really fight amongst themselves as it is a foreign concept to them as much as 'dieding for a belief' is in modern western culture. Sure we can look at it and understand its affects, but we can hardly say we understand all the reasons for it.

By the same token the Tau have very little knowledge of the Necrons and to them again information is collected on them, but they do not understand the race. Concrete cognation, they need a battlefield example to look at the issues, and cannot emulate them outside of a context yet.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 18:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Tau do probably have some understanding of how Chaos possessions occur - after all, during Medusa V a number of Gue'la prisoners on the Charybdis Crest were suddenly possessed and proceeded to attack their captors.

The Tau also fought the Necrons on Medusa V, again on the Charybdis Crest, so they do have solid battlefield examples of how the Necrons operate.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 20:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Medusa V probably opened the eyes of the Tau when it comes to a couple of things - Chaos, Necrons, the atrocities the Imperium is capable of, and loads more.

It was definitely a learning experience :P
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 20:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Medusa V probably opened the eyes of the Tau when it comes to a couple of things - Chaos, Necrons, the atrocities the Imperium is capable of, and loads more.

It was definitely a learning experience :P
Yes, a learning experience with quite a prodigious death rate I imagine. The end reports on the Tau findings of their studies was amusing and also angering in how GW simply wasted everyone's time.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2007, 13:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

thats too big- and too many people will get ticked at you if you try and nail down o'shova, or the ethereals for that matter.

There are only a handful of incidents between Tau and Chaos forces.

The Dolumar V Incident- the Game Firewarrior explains this (don't read the pov from Kais, everything else rocks)

Medusa V Expedition- Tau forces engaged everyone en-mass, including Eldar and Necrons for the first time- El'dar (possibly means masters of the dark, don't take it too literally, and Mont'ray meaning death walkers, or those who walk with death)

Kronos- DOW: Dark Crusade, it actually explains how not a single Firewarrior fell to the influences of the Chaos daemons on the world, but that they needed therapy afterward (you would too i bet).

The Encounter on Dal'yth- Sa'cean cadres engaged Slaanesh pirates.

That and Tau forces have been seen fighting as mercenaries for Chaos Pirates beyond the Gulf.