Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Police?
Old 05 Jun 2007, 00:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Tau Police?

Im just wondering about the Tau penal system. I mean I doubt their is much crime going on with the actual Tau but with the intermerging kroot and humans their must be some crime. I just wanted to know if anyone knew if they enforced law with drones or whatnot.

Also, does anyone know what kind of government they have, or at least a near equivalent?

BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2007, 01:02   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Tau Police?

I assume that the Fire Caste has the equivalent of MPs for keeping order among their allies.

The Tau have a sort of two-house system. The upper house is the Ethereal Caste, who set broad matters of policy. The lower house is made up of senior members of the other four castes who have retired from active duty. They are responsible for handling the logitistics involved with carrying out the will of the Ethereals.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2007, 01:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ah.. Khanaris you are my hero :P

Thanks for the ideas, You think they would use people to keep order or use drones, you know to ensure no human Tau casualties
Old 05 Jun 2007, 09:32   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I believe that Shas who are yet to become fire warriors act as a military police force on the Tau worlds. It is briefly mentioned in Fire Warrior (the book).
Pttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2007, 20:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pttocs
I believe that Shas who are yet to become fire warriors act as a military police force on the Tau worlds. It is briefly mentioned in Fire Warrior (the book).
True. Shas Saal and Shas'la are responsible for 'police' actions, however they operate diffrent to our police. It is better to think of them are 'Armed Police' or 'Peacekeepers'.

The difference with the Tau is that they don't have 'crime' as such. It is bread out of them with the concept of the Tau'va and that by being selfish you do not add to the Tau'va. Anyhow their economic system is completely diffrent to our own with basic needs catered for everyone for free. Hence you don't have crime because you can get what you want.

In Gue'la this is slightly diffrent, however this is where the use of Por psychologists come into their own. There is no 'penal' system because if you do wrong you will be told how you did wrong and you won't be let back to society until you've seen the error of your ways. Much like the system for 'thought crimes' in 1984.

Gue'vesa on the otherhand have had a 'Tau' upbringing and so follow the same mantra of the Tau'va as their fellow Tau do.

Kroot are Mercenaries and are not really indoctrinated into Tau society in the same way. They have their own 'ghettos' within Tau communites, however they are independent and allowed freedom in a diffrent way, because of the kroot code of tribal honour. Hence the Tau have no jurisdiction over them.

Vespid are really 'mind controlled' in a way. Hence they no not to commit crime in that sense. Also remember they are NOT part of the community only a military force. Hence again no society jurisdiction.

Hence you just don't have people going round committing crimes.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2007, 20:10   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
Vespid are really 'mind controlled' in a way. Hence they no not to commit crime in that sense. Also remember they are NOT part of the community only a military force. Hence again no society jurisdiction.
Might be mind-controlled. We really don't know enough about them at this point to say one way or the other. If they do have a system of discipline, it appears to be internal, as would likely be the case with the Kroot.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2007, 20:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

These are some great answers. A friend of mine plans on starting Tau, and wants an Urban/Police Force theme. ^-^
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2007, 21:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
Might be mind-controlled. We really don't know enough about them at this point to say one way or the other. If they do have a system of discipline, it appears to be internal, as would likely be the case with the Kroot.
Indeed. I don't think there is a 'mind control' plot going on. I just think the commuication helms are just, very suggestive. Hence why I left it in inverted commas and put 'in a way' in my statement. I don't like the aspect of a loss of freewill, even though it can kind of be seen in other Tau fluff.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2007, 21:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to perfect enemy

i sort of have a feeling that if tau had police it would be made up of a mix of the fire and water caste
Old 05 Jun 2007, 22:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Im liking these ideas. I really need to get my act together we it comes to Tau Fluff.
I've heard of the vespid thing, and it does seem strange how the Tau came intermerged with them so easily.