Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldar marriage.
Old 01 Jun 2007, 15:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Eldar marriage.

Does anyone know anything about Eldar marriage? Do they marry for life? Are Aspect Warriors able to be married? I know its a cheesy kind of question. It just seems to me that maybe two Aspect Warriors from the same shrine could maybe fall in love <3. It would make for a great story!
Autarch_Kalesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2007, 04:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003
Default Re: Eldar marriage.

Two aspect warriors in the same shrine surely can marry.

However we don't know if their system is monogamy, polygamy, patriarchal family groups or matriarchal family groups.

Planned breeding like the ones Tau may have seems inappropriate considering how emotional Eldar are and the amount of loyalty each Eldar has to his or her family.

Of course the only Eldar that can't marry are Exarchs

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2007, 05:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22

I know they need condoms, unless SOMEBODY WOULD LIKE TO GET BEAT FOR GIVING BIRTH TO ANOTHER EVIL HOMICIDAL GOD... :shifty:
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2007, 05:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to TheEmperorsJanitor Send a message via Yahoo to TheEmperorsJanitor

I am strongly opposed to the idea of Eldar marriage, as marriage is defined by Santa Claus as being between a human man and a human woman. I am, however, completely fine allowing them to have civil unions.
I just don't get the attraction, how is a vampire girl sexy? It's a monster, it wants to kill you, stop thinking about having sex with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General Thunder
You just wasted 5 seconds of my life, you prick.
TheEmperorsJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2007, 05:37   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmongoose2003
Two aspect warriors in the same shrine surely can marry.

However we don't know if their system is monogamy, polygamy, patriarchal family groups or matriarchal family groups.

Planned breeding like the ones Tau may have seems inappropriate considering how emotional Eldar are and the amount of loyalty each Eldar has to his or her family.

Of course the only Eldar that can't marry are Exarchs
I doubt the Eldar are particularly monogamous. They seem a little long-lived for that.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2007, 06:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22

Ya know... Humans in 40k should be the only race to get married, since well, we invented it in the first place :P
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2007, 06:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorJesus
I am strongly opposed to the idea of Eldar marriage, as marriage is defined by Santa Claus as being between a human man and a human woman. I am, however, completely fine allowing them to have civil unions.
That made me LuLz so hard.
Old 02 Jun 2007, 13:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

With this talk of Aspect Warriors marrying - when they're not on the battlefield or preparing for war, they're just Eldar. I Fire Dragon could easily pair with someone walking the Path of the Firefighter, since the Fire Dragon is just a 'normal' Space Elf at that point, rather than being a faceless killing machine.

The lost-on-the-path types I couldn't see breeding - Exarchs since they never leave the shrine and are one with their armour, but Farseers and Cursed Bards of Twilight simply since their minds are so focussed on their task.

As for marital structure - perhaps the parents stay monogamous for the duration of the pregnancy (both natural and artificial)? That way they could both care for an educate the fetus/child but be free in a relatively short period of time.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2007, 00:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Guys 50% of this thread is like off topic....and hilarious....but off topic.

But yes, exactly what Novae said, Aspect Warriors are only emotionless killing machines when donning their armour. Otherwise it's stated quite clearly that they are emotional beings who do have families.

As for Khanaris' comment about monogamy, true, but the Eldar emotions and sense of loyalty are so intense I would imagine they could not contemplate anything but monogamy. I think they probably just get divorced a lot...

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2007, 00:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm going to come down undecided here. Certainly CM2003 is right in that the Eldar's emotion would push them towards a very loyal and loving monogomy. However, it could just as easily lead them into completely unbridaled sexual indulgences. So, the question would be whether or not the Eldar try to tame their emotions in regards to marriage and childbearing in the same way that they do in every other aspect of their lives.

I would say yes. Therefore, perhaps the emotion of marriage & procreation is just another excess to be conquered. Obviously, the danger of falling into emotional release and indulgence would be dire for the Eldar - so perhaps marriage is more of a formality and something along the lines of duty than an emotionally based relationship.

I would say the same about procreation. I doubt that Eldar allow themselves to become "lost" in the process.

Of course - this leaves open the concept of the "Path of the Breeder" :P

(PS - RJ, that was hilarious!)
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote