Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why they fight
Old 17 May 2007, 03:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Why they fight

I've seen a lot of people question why people in future would actually have to fight on the ground. Shouldn't the battles be able to be decided from space? In 40k, definantly not. We all know how powerful the fleets in 40k are fluff wise. They can launch salvos that break up continents. The problem is, what if you want the continent? Its kinda hard to farm chared, molten rock. Not to mention planets like Cadia and such have advanced defense systems that allow them to survive orbital bombardment. Lastly, the warp is the ultimate wild card. If you get a warp storm it can wipe out a fleet quickly. The same can be said of planets too but it has to be a big storm then. So agree, disagree, point out flaws, support, whatever, why do you think they fight?

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 04:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90
Default Re: Why they fight

For the one exact reason you mentioned before. They want the resources from the planet. Every race has a reason to harvest a planet, except maybe Dark eldar, beings from a space station still are just as good as being from the ground. But I guess you get more out of it.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 06:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Farseer Cold-Beer

One of the same reasons we still fight with troops instead of air craft only... Becuase you can just bomb everything, because then there would be no need to fight because you get nothing out of it...
Old 17 May 2007, 17:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Not to mention the fact that compared to the 40k fleets, ground-based armies are dirt cheap and therefore expendable.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 07:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Realistically, with that level of tech they should be able to fight battles entirely from space.

However, that makes such a boring game that I'm not at all dissapointed reality got twisted. It's much cooler to have a brutal melee between 8ft tall super soldiers with chainswords and a horde of hissing hyper predators then have the entire battle decided by one missile strike.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 16:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

it certianly helps to fight on the ground if there are massive ammounts of ground troops who will eat any ground personell destroy any structures and consume any reasources and brutal soldiers who spout off budds and have the capabilities if left alone to create deathrays and spacefairing craft.
Generally the archetype within fantasy and sci-fi is that if a character looks good, then he/she is good, if they're ugly then they're probably evil. (I'm looking at YOU TOLKIEN!!)
Radio-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2007, 04:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

I have another idea as to why. To fight in space, you need to build and make those ships, and have recources to make these said ships. You cant just pull metal and oil and such out of your behind so you need planets and stuff to get all the recources to fight in space. and other factoins are doing the same, so what do you do? fight on the ground!

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2007, 19:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin
Realistically, with that level of tech they should be able to fight battles entirely from space.

However, that makes such a boring game that I'm not at all dissapointed reality got twisted. It's much cooler to have a brutal melee between 8ft tall super soldiers with chainswords and a horde of hissing hyper predators then have the entire battle decided by one missile strike.
No. You can't hold territory without troops on the ground. You can't capture enemy resources without troops on the ground. You can't fight guerrillas without troops on the ground.

To summarise; you can't do much that's useful to a planet without troops on the ground.

Ground warfare is quite necessary. What is unnecessary is the ridiculous over-dependence on melee combat in favour of shooting... I don't care what kind of sword that is, I can empty my clip into you before you take a swing.

That and fortifications. As General Patton once said: "Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of Man."

There's a reason we stopped using them...

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2007, 19:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

Exactly, you either A: cannot destroy or hold the resources from space
B: cannot afford to cause the dammage to the planet that the bombardment would cause
Old 23 May 2007, 01:24   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin

That and fortifications. As General Patton once said: "Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of Man."
Oh, but they're so fun to Destroy!
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote