Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

40k tech and it's misconceptions.
Reply
Old 10 May 2007, 01:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mexico
Posts: 555
Send a message via MSN to VF-7
Default 40k tech and it's misconceptions.

Hey there.... I don't know, I just want to start the topic, I don't have much time but I would want to go further than this.

It's a common belief that most pepole in the 40k universe are a bunch of technologicaly retarded ingorants, why is that?

Well, most pepole state that that's because they don't know how their technology works, because they pray to the machine spirit & hope for some succes, because they don't know the scientific fundaments behind their machinery.

Most pepole here hate Tech-priests mainly because of their faithfull mumble-jumble.

And many sort of stuff in that way.

Now, I must argue:

Ain't we, the every day human, forum reader, technologicaly retarded?

Do you know exactly how your Ipod stores music?
Do you know how the Direct Fuel Injection of your car works?
Do you know how the LCD panel of your computer works?
Do you know how the toilet flushes? on wich science fact it is based?

On the first, I don't know.
On the second I do know, the exact functions of every piece of it, (I don't study engenieering, but I am a mechanic, a mechanic that reads a lot)
on the third, I don't know a dam hell about it, but I have a tecnician degree and know how to build up a computer, from screwing the motherboard to the tower to installing WoW (which i don't play)
on the third, I know how to change & install one, how to fix it and replace every part of it, but i don't know the exact principles of all the swer sistem behind it, may be the pressure of the water?.

Are you a tech retard? even by 40 k standards?.

All this mumble jumble was, to stop pepole from posting how much advanced is Tau pepole and gue'vesas & how retards are the IG etc........

I want to expand this article but don't have the time to, may be pepole can add up things to it, I just want to make it a decent article, decent enough to post it on the main page.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
"I see. It appears you are insecure because your tank has a phallus several thousand times larger than your own..."
Lost are only those who abandon themselves.
VF-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 01:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,336
Default Re: 40k tech and it's misconceptions.

Technology is now getting to the point that you don't need to understand how. You just need to understand what goes where and how it all relates. It's like moving up from the Engineer to the Manager in dealing with it all.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrad
By the Holy Beard of the Prophet!
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 01:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mexico
Posts: 555
Send a message via MSN to VF-7
Default Re: 40k tech and it's misconceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
You just need to understand what goes where and how it all relates.
I know I know, that's why I'm mad about it, whenever i go to the Us in my 60's jeep and pepole ask's me if it is the original carburator I proudly answer yes, it has broken up several times but i've fixed it non less that 3 times, the fuel pump to, 3 months ago it started leaking and almost cought fire, i repaired it as well. A mechanic even asked me: "Why the hell you don't just change it?" and I said: "1st I don't have the money to buy a decent rochester-type carburator, 2nd I wanted a challenge, 3rd i had spare time"

It's the same thing when i see computers, many pepole just change'em or tosses them away, with out ever asking how the hell does the Pentium duo works, and that's why i state most pepole now days is as ignorant as 40k pepole.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
"I see. It appears you are insecure because your tank has a phallus several thousand times larger than your own..."
Lost are only those who abandon themselves.
VF-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 01:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 7,663
Default Re: 40k tech and it's misconceptions.

I understand your point. However, the fact is that the Adeptus Mechanicus is the tech support for the Imperium. If you had no idea how a computer worked and called your local service guy when it broke. What would you think when the first thing he did was offer some incense to the "computer god" and purify your keyboard with holy oil?

That is the level of comprehension in the Imperium. The flip side of that is that there is some insane technology that they are capable of fixing & duplicating. So there is certainly knowledge - but it is steeped in a religious bias.

It would be like you crossing your fingers and pumping the peddle every time you start your 60's jeep. Why? Because it seems to start better if you do that. Same with the AM.

Lastly, just for the record
1) Yep.
2) Yep
3) Nope.
4) Yep.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 01:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mexico
Posts: 555
Send a message via MSN to VF-7
Default Re: 40k tech and it's misconceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
What would you think when the first thing he did was offer some incense to the "computer god" and purify your keyboard with holy oil?
I talked to the Hp support once, the only really technical advice was "Press f8 several times in the loading screen".

Quote:
It would be like you crossing your fingers and pumping the peddle every time you start your 60's jeep. Why? Because it seems to start better if you do that.
I do, Hahahaha, Believe me I do that, the starter engine is so old and needs a fix, so sometimes it does not gets the engine moving!!!!

Quote:
Lastly, just for the record
1) Yep.
2) Yep
3) Nope.
4) Yep.
Oh I'm proud, I don't know how the I pod memory works... it's frustrating to see how the nano stores as much data as my 1 pound old hard drive.
And it even has a freaky LCD screen!.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
"I see. It appears you are insecure because your tank has a phallus several thousand times larger than your own..."
Lost are only those who abandon themselves.
VF-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 02:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 7,663
Default Re: 40k tech and it's misconceptions.

Quote:
I talked to the Hp support once, the only really technical advice was "Press f8 several times in the loading screen".
He spoke English?!?!?!?

Quote:
I do, Hahahaha, Believe me I do that, the starter engine is so old and needs a fix, so sometimes it does not gets the engine moving!!!!
I know. My dad had a WWII issue M-35 jeep and I have a friend who rebuilt a German Kubelwagon (sp?). But that "ritual" is simply a watered down version of the AM's stuff. At some point, an AM techpriest came in, sprinkled some holy water and bumped the starter and the vehicle started up. Presto - the holy water was the fix!

Quote:
it's frustrating to see how the nano stores as much data as my 1 pound old hard drive.
And it even has a freaky LCD screen!.
Imagine how frustrating it must be for an astronaut to realize that his kid's camera phone has better technology than his spaceshuttle.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 02:06   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: 40k tech and it's misconceptions.

The part you are missing is that there are people in our society who do understand how any given piece of technology works. There are no living humans in the Imperium who really understand how warp coils work. The Adeptus Mechanicus are not scientists. They are librarians, historians, and archeologists. They fight to preserve information and to uncover what has been lost. The can decipher secrets and use them to fabricate machines. They are interested in uncovering ancient instruction manuals. But it is extremely rare for them to ever build anything original, and the physics of the more advanced systems are quite beyond them. And this is how they have always been written about in the background material. It is part of what gives 40k its dark character. The average citizen in 40k is just probably as ignorant as the average human today. But the technology they use is many orders of magnitude more complex, and there is no one who understands it all.

In contrast, the Tau Earth Caste know exactly how all of their technology works, since they developed it recently rather than relying on the advances of generations long dead. The Necrons were far more advanced than any other race, but they are no longer capable of advancement. And the Eldar understand how all of their own extremely advanced technology works, but they are artisans before they are scientists, seeking to perfect the form and operation of their existing technology rather than exploring completely new lines of research.

It is not a misconception. This is just how all of the races are balanced in the arms race.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 02:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mexico
Posts: 555
Send a message via MSN to VF-7
Default Re: 40k tech and it's misconceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
There are no living humans in the Imperium who really understand how warp coils work.
That's true but aren't ther supossed to be some kind of Techno-magos? Utterly specialized in to something and they actually advance, remember there's the Conqueror's Augur shells, Recently developed and "Terminated" as well as Hunter shells Etcetera, They do reflect what you mention as "The darkness of 40k"

Quote:
In contrast, the Tau Earth Caste know exactly how all of their technology works, since they developed it recently rather than relying on the advances of generations long dead..
I know, but it just does not helps at all, it's the same, there are some highly intellectual scientists of the Earth Caste and there's the average worker of the Earth caste ( a ditch digger, which i am sure they use drones for).

It's the same as todays Scientist, they are the same! Earth caste scientist, Adeptus Mechanicus High-magos, Today's Nasa Scientist.

It's just that pepole does not know how stuff works. Well, gotta go... Will reply further but, I must get going...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
"I see. It appears you are insecure because your tank has a phallus several thousand times larger than your own..."
Lost are only those who abandon themselves.
VF-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 02:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 750
Default Re: 40k tech and it's misconceptions.

Quote:
German Kubelwagon (sp?).
Not too bad ;D it is Kurbelwagen...

@ VF-7: You should not mistake the Adeptus Mechanicus for scientists. They are more like priests...

They do NOT know how stuff works and are NOT able to reproduce technology without those crazy machines that already have all the blueprints and necessary machines in it (I do not remember the enflich name, just the german one "Standardtechnologiekonstrukt").
All "new" weapons and technologes are not invented but re-discovered.

Read up on some fluff, it is a basic concept for 40k. In itself there is absolutely no potential for discussions, as GW made this point very clear.
Although you have a valid point stating that the Imperium of man is not behind the Tau in terms of technology, they are on roughly the same level...
But the big difference is the very nature of these twos races in the fluff: Humans represent a "medieval in the far future", the looks and the moods are gothic (life as a mere passage to death, the human life nothing as a vessel to the afterlife), core terms are stagnation, despair, fascism, anti-intelectualism, decay and so on. This makes the unique charackter of the Imperium of man.

Tau are portrayed as being young, vigurous, making fast advances, but still naive, their empire fragile. All their lifes are dedicated to expanding their empire or the greater Good.
But there is also this flair of lack of individualism and noone should forget their brutality (genocides are not alien to them).

So we have the Imperium of man and the tau empire as two contrasting charakters: One old and beyond the top of its power, the other still striving to to reach this top.

Keep in mind that this is neither good nor bad, as these are merely sets of mood in the general setting of 40k allowing designers and players more creative options that can be explored.

So to get it into one sentence: "It does not matter that the humans do not understand the technology they use, because this is only a story-device to support the general character the Imperium was given".

Greetz, Trogdor
__________________
Gamestatistics 07:

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 02:52   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: 40k tech and it's misconceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-7

It's the same as todays Scientist, they are the same! Earth caste scientist, Adeptus Mechanicus High-magos, Today's Nasa Scientist.
The analogy is a little off. An Adeptus Mechanicus High Magos is more like a native French speaker who has translated and memorized a library full of English manuals for building a rocket (and he will jealously guard the secrets he gains, as they determine his status within the cult). He still doesn't understand the physics involved, nor would he be able to create the plans on his own. They are definitely not the same as modern scientists. Without the STC systems, they could not build systems as simple as vehicles, let alone the kilometer-long spaceships and mile-high Hive Cities that allow the Imperium to function.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Common Misconceptions About Americans Lord Scythican Enclave Talk 75 21 May 2010 01:16
Ninja Tau Misconceptions GoneFishing Tau 0 13 Jan 2010 22:00
How is necron tech powered? and is it compatible with tau tech? Rogue_FireWarrior 40K Universe 15 11 May 2007 00:26
Misconceptions about Assault Inquisitors Whitz81 The Inquisition 13 19 Mar 2006 21:03