Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlights- why doesn't everyone have them?
Old 08 Apr 2007, 18:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Markerlights- why doesn't everyone have them?

Now, from a game purpose I can understand this. GW doesn't want the Tau to be overpowering by eliminating the need for Pathfinders.

But I just don't understand why the Empire doesn't give marker lights to everybody- mount them on battlesuits, tanks, firewarriors... they're not that big. I can't understand how they'd require much extra training, all I see is a lost opportunity.

I mean, these things aren't that complicated. They just "paint" a target and it appears on everyone's HUD.

Answers?
Colonel_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 19:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Markerlights- why doesn't everyone have them?

Hmm. Good question. Here's an idea: maybe it'd get too confusing if everyone had a markerlight - their HUDs would just be a mess with all those targets.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 20:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

xv84s get them, i do believe.

as do skyrays.

so do fire warriors. shasúis.

my guess is they're high precision tools and you'd need to reconfigure the entire suit/tank to mount them and it just wound not be feasible on such a huge scale.

you have to remember, that all tau units have a role. fire warriors are meant to shoot the other guy's infantry. constantly. they might have access to some ML support with the shasúi or a ML drone but thats about it. and you can run other units through the list as either (a) having better things to be doing, or (b) not able to perform markerlight spotting adequetly. pathfinders are highly trained and special individuals. thats why they're given their job. fire warriors are grunts that shoot. most crisis suit pilots are heros who hold the most important jobs on the battlefield and simply dont have the time to be lighting stuff up, as they're usually using the lights to blow that stuff up.

ask yourself why the US army doesnt give out those lasers to guide missiles etc to every single grunt. same principle applies.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 14:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

It would make sense in MOST tanks/flyers had them, since most US tanks/planes/helis have them.

However, I'm pretty sure the Tau have maybe a scaled down version (lasers on rifles).
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 22:12   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

It is more than just a range-finder. All Space Marines have sophisticated targeting systems, and they get no benefit. The same thing with the Eldar. The Markerlight rules also represent the extremely complicated command-and-control network that allows the Tau to pass targeting data around between units. The equipment mounted on the weapons is only part of it. There may be a limit to how much traffic that network will support in a limited area.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 00:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah, I see.

Like usual 40k- things only to be represented in "movie marines."
Colonel_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 08:01   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

There's no in-game answer to this, only a meta-game answer; it's so you can have an exciting universe.

Believe me, reading stories about Guard regiments that just sit back and shell the Tau from 60 miles away with Deathstrike Missile Batteries is not exciting. If 40K were even remotely realistic, I'd never need to set up my army. :

"Okay, turn 1 I'll call in a Manticore Strike."
"Turn 2, another one."
"Turn 3, fire Bombards."
"Turn 4, launch a Vortex Missile."
"I win."

Yeah, fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 16:19   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
There's no in-game answer to this, only a meta-game answer; it's so you can have an exciting universe.

Believe me, reading stories about Guard regiments that just sit back and shell the Tau from 60 miles away with Deathstrike Missile Batteries is not exciting. If 40K were even remotely realistic, I'd never need to set up my army. :

"Okay, turn 1 I'll call in a Manticore Strike."
"Turn 2, another one."
"Turn 3, fire Bombards."
"Turn 4, launch a Vortex Missile."
"I win."

Yeah, fun.
That is a game of Epic. The very fact that you are playing a game of 40k indicates that that particular threat has been removed. Perhaps some other skirmish-scale game has already taken out the launchers, or else air-strikes or an orbital bombardment wiped them out. Or perhaps they just didn't have time to get set up. "Realism" or the lack thereof has very little to do with a universe that isn't real. Most of the background was written to make the skirmish scale relevant. "Having an exciting Universe" is why the Guard even get those Deathstrike Launchers in the first place (albeit at the Epic rather than the 40k scale). And for that matter, the Imperial Guard is not the only force capable of engaging at that scale or range.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 16:50   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Plus if everyone had markerlights, it would mean that the Tau commanders are too busy painting stuff instead of actually firing at stuff :P

In fact, if all the Tau had marker lights instead of weaponry, I'd gladly face them with nothing more the a single berserker armed with a combat knife.... Tracking lasers don't hurt :P
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 20:42   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

The Guard, however, are the best example.

We are constantly told about how the Guard are Legion; billions of men under arms, hundreds of thousands of war machines, a living tied of warriors and weapons that descend in an unrelenting tide...

...and then you get to the tabletop, where the guy has sixty Guardsmen. Most Marine players I know have 40-60 men in their armies. Clearly, we can bring the big guns into the table, otherwise that sodding Basilisk would have been kicked out two Editions ago and we'd have the Griffon Mortar back. As such, it is simply the case that the game has to be playable, and so the universe has to be suitably moronic to allow for this. Hands up everyone who has read a 40K story and asked "why the hell didn't they just blow it up from orbit?"

More than I can count. The whole point of 40K is that intelligent action stops at the door along with our Disbelief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote