Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Demise of the Squats
Old 08 Apr 2007, 05:16   #11 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Demise of the Squats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krell
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmongoose2003
If they become TOO lazy, then it actually turns smart.

If you want an example of this, go to the urquan masters wiki and read up on the Precursor article.

Also, were the destruction of squats even during the same time as hive fleet leviathian?!
Attention interlopers, Heed this recorded mesage!

I luff that game. But anyway, there could have been diplomatic relations between Squats and Demiurg.
I assume there were. They may have even shared a lot of their technology. And a few Squats may have sought refuge with the Demiurg when their Homeworlds were destroyed. To me, this sets up a much more interesting dynamic than simply claiming that the Squats became the Demiurg.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 06:18   #12 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Imagine this a squat versus a Hive Tyrant. Not very pretty is it? I know the squats had machines but they had no ground troops. Splinter fleets have been known to wipe out systems of guard occupied places. After each win the splinter gets bigger and there is more chance of the Nids winning the next planet. it is like squaring a number. It soon gets to big for the calculator screen. After 6 "squarings" you get some sort of overflow message. To translate that you have 6 planets that were really fought for but then the Nids were just to powerful. Now the one question I have is if a Kraken Splinter has just devoured an entire race of beings, why is it not a full fleet again. Haha, think of that. Kraken coming from the Segmentum Obscurus and Leviathan coming from below the galactic plane. Ouch, mankind is not doing well. And without any Iyanden to weaken the Nids, We will finaly devour the universe! Yesssss. Whoops sorry. I just get so into this sometimes.

The all consuming Y he are beyond the teachings of the Tau va And we Y he are proud of it

Lictor, Lictor, in a tree,
Stupid humans can't see me,
Reach out quick and cut one down,
See the rest all run around.
Quickly kill the last in line,
Hear the rest all squeal like swine.
Cut and slash and hack and slice,
Welcome to my paradise.
Lictor, Lictor in a tree,
No one's left to search for me.
Evisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 08:08   #13 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Are we sure it was Kraken that destroyed the Squat Homeworlds? You get quotes like "As to the abhuman, that line was cut too long ago", and given that Kraken was in 993 (994 for the splinter fleets), then "too long ago" suggests further back to me (Splinter fleet of Behemoth). That would give us a time-frame of 745 to 895 (roughly, if the Tyranid codex is anything to go by), which, IMO, is more realistic for the destruction of an empire thousands of light years in volume.

What gets my interest is that the Squat Empire is very far in, and is very big, and for it to fall for such a large splinter fleet is slightly conspicuous. Lets face it, the Squats weren't liked in the Imperium. They didn't follow the Cult of the Adeptus Ministorum, the AdMech thought they could have been hiding STC templates from them, they're dirty abhumans, and they were sitting on one of the most mineral-rich areas of the galaxy. Am I detecting a possible ulterior motive here? Say, what would happen if the Inquisition chucked a genestealer hulk their way? That, and the constant attacks from Ork Waaarghs! would have been a major irritation. If they were caught at a bad time (Say, after a particularly large Ork waaargh! weakened their defences), the leagues theoretically could have been toppled by such a Splinter Fleet...
Mechanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 08:14   #14 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Farseer Cold-Beer

Well, thats a good point... Thats what they probly did do, but why are they not a full fleet again aswell? And why arnt we seeing tiny Carnifexes runnign around??? I WANT A TINY CARNI!
Old 08 Apr 2007, 13:35   #15 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm pretty sure that the Imperium had rather close ties with the Squat Empire - their xenophobic nature was, in this case, overridden by pragmatism. The Squats were deemed to be no threat (which was true - they didn't seem to hold any real animosity towards the Imperium) and were a useful trading partner and occasional military ally. Plus, like all Dwarfs, they really, really hated the Orks.

Oh, and Kraken was 992.M41. Also, I'm pretty sure there were no splinter fleets of Hive Fleet Behemoth. The whole thing came in towards Ultramar in one massive sledgehammer blow, which was then utterly annhilated at the Battle of Macragge.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 17:53   #16 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Inquisition did make war on them when they were first rediscovered, though, and they did advantage of the Age of Apostasy to secede from the Imperium proper. So there may have been some lingering bad blood in the corridors of power. Perhaps this was an attempt to bring them back into the fold gone horribly wrong. The Inquisition directs a Hive Fleet at them, counting on the begging the Imperium for aid. When it finally comes, it is far larger than expected and that aid comes to late.
Old 08 Apr 2007, 19:34   #17 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Oh, and Kraken was 992.M41. Also, I'm pretty sure there were no splinter fleets of Hive Fleet Behemoth. The whole thing came in towards Ultramar in one massive sledgehammer blow, which was then utterly annhilated at the Battle of Macragge.
Not according to page 26 of the 4th Edition Codex; frequency of Hive Fleet contacts between 700 and 999.M41, for Behemoth, it starts off at 53/54 attacks (a year? Not clear on that...) in 735, (presumably for those dead worlds beyond the Astronomican that the AdMech detected), and that goes down to 29 around the late 770's, around 801 it sinks to 21 attacks, going to 8 around 850, and then to none in 895. And Kraken is 993 in my Tyranid codex...
Mechanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 19:40   #18 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I stand corrected. Sorry, I didn't have the current Nid Codex so was going on older fluff.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 20:19   #19 (permalink)
Shas'O

What if the Squats decided to build a Halo type device in the wake of Tyranid attack. They put their faith in this project even as a number of their worlds were eatten up, but then the machine backfires killing them off, but leaving many of the Tyranids still alive.

Major oops if there ever was one. Then severely depleted in numbers those fee who survived this 'doomsday device' were overwhelmed.

At least it sounds interesting as a plot. However its making a lot up for the 40k universe.

...and even if the 'nids weren't there at the right time, they could have still wiped themselves out with this 'weapon', hey it might not even be Squat. It could have been an Ancient Terra Artifact...

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 20:24   #20 (permalink)
Ethereal

It could also have been one of the myriad smaller fleets that spun off of the others and diverged enough that they were given their own name rather than remaining true splinter fleets. Some kind of isolated precursor to Leviathan coming in from above or below the galactic plane. They wouldn't have had to be that strong. If the Squats took most of them with them when they died, the Imperium could have moved in to finish off the survivors.