Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deus Ex Machina and EMP
Old 30 Mar 2007, 08:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Deus Ex Machina and EMP

Hello all, what exactly are
1) The Spirit of the Machine
and
2) Living Metal?

I've been searching, and thus far have put together:
Spirit of the Machine-an AI and/or superstitions, while Living Metal is...metal that can be moved easily from point A to point B along a side of a ship.

I'm asking because in here it is mentioned that an EMP grenade would probably not be able to penetrate into it, as well as the Chaos and Imperial Deus Ex Machina(on a side note, anyone else find it amusing what Deus Ex Machina means, literally and in a unliterally[go doublespeak at 1 in the morn! *z*]?)

Back on topic:
I had always imagined the EMP grenade was essentially a powerful capacitor which used a driven spike to punch through armor, possibly with the aid of some Plasma for the tip. Somewhere along the spike would be a piece of wire that sticks out and goes into a circuit, wire, etc... underneath the armor and fry the circuitry. And I was thinking it would also make sense that the AI would be gone due to the circuit boards melting(ok, maybe not that dramatic, but still...), so even if it were to be "possessed"(different, more violent AI), it would not be able to link the junctions from C to D and back to A.

Am I mistaken? And would this be in the right place because it's "about" fluff, not really "additional" fluff.

By the by, what are the machines run off, if they are indeed not run on a form of electricity(exchanging Electrons)?

And on a separate(though related) note, why does 40K have a complete(AFAIK) lack of hackers, and other info-war, and yet a prevalence of gods, magic, etc...? I thought this was the future ;D
...and maybe a bit too influenced/attracted to/like Infinity and Ghost in a Shell. Though it did make me wonder when I was reading the rules..."hackers? Why yes, I do suppose there would be at least a few of them...maybe not for Astartes, but certainly for Tau, Eldar, and maybe IG; gotta give the young'uns something to do...humans have been noted for the ingenuity, creativeness, and a complete boredom when things have been done."
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2007, 08:49   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Deus Ex Machina and EMP

The reason 40K lacks realistic fighting methods is that realistic fighting methods are boring.

Seriously, what would you rather have; a bunch of Guardsmen sat in a bunker firing ICBMs at someone on another continent, or a bunch of Guardsmen charging in with rifles and bayoneetes, hacking and firing point blank into the enemy?

Edit: Inspired by this idea, however, I did create these guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2007, 09:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

To quote the answer I was given..."The machine spirit is the spirit of the machine! :". Rolleyes and all.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2007, 09:38   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

A better definition might be the soul of the Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2007, 09:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

...well, soul sounds better than spirit. But I was wondering if it was like their dreadnoughts, though now that I think of it entombing a dying soldier in a tank makes no sense whatsoever. :-\

Quote:
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 21:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A machine spirit is closer to a brain actually, sometimes in titans they load a bear or wolf's brain into it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avor
I would like the bare legs a bit better if they weren't belonging to a old woman with Grey Hair.

Kinda wrong.
I agree with that, at least try to make her look hot and young!

Anyways, dont give toasty any ideas, he already loves his Sisters too much....
edraik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2007, 21:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

But in the end it's just "lights and clockwork" right? Or is there something deeper within it(an actual, feely touchy organism?)?
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2007, 22:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Your post asks three questions;

1) What exactly is The Machine Spirit?
The Machine Spirit is the sentinant inherent AI in Imperial equipment, it doesn't talk or really interface. It stems from the fact that 'any suitably advanced technology is intistigusable from magic' How do you explain the flicking dials and computer readouts in your Baneblade or Titian? its got to be the God of the machine (Omnissiah) telling you what is wrong or what the computers probabilistic outcome generator is telling you. In that way it is not alive, but could be seen to be.

2) What is Living Metal?
This is what it says, technically to my inderstanding this is nano-tech in 40k a metal mesh of tiny machines which can repair and move itself as its intelligence wishes it to.

3) How does an EMP weapon work
Well an EMP weapon doesn't have to touch anything, most likely it works on a pack of serials capacitors linked to a ring coiled solenoid. The weapon is designed to create an electromagnetic spike (in the electromagnetic spectrum, which is light by normal definition, which is also photons, by concept). Understanding Quantum Tunneling no need of any penetration is needed because it is probable that those photons appear instantaneously everywhere and nowhere at once, thus bypassing any shielding and messing with the electronic circuits.

Yeah science is fun when you can make all these connections.

I hope that helps answer your questions,
Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 01:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, I was wondering about that...I didn't think an EMP grenade would actually need to penetrate a tank's hull to fry it. I always pictured a pretty blue flash with electricy bits a la The Matrix. ;D

Quote:
Old 31 Mar 2007, 02:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
Yeah, I was wondering about that...I didn't think an EMP grenade would actually need to penetrate a tank's hull to fry it. I always pictured a pretty blue flash with electricy bits a la The Matrix. ;D
EMP stands for ElectroMagnetic Pulse. It's a throwable version of current weaponry.