Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Does Nurgle have a place in 40k?
Old 28 Mar 2007, 21:15   #21 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang
Default Re: Does Nurgle have a place in 40k?

I agree as well, Tzeentch represents hope and false hope. he offers his followers hope but it is ultimatley for his own ends
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2007, 06:18   #22 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes... like Khorne is the good of violence and... violence.

In all fairness, he's also the god of warrior pride. Respect of martial strength. Or so says "The Book of Khorne" in the Chaos Codex.
He is basically an extremely warped version of the warrior code (hence his preference for melee combat, and abhorence of magic).

They arnt intensionally doing this, but eventually they will balance everything out so it is as it should be.

With everything good in the universe removed. Whilst the Chaos gods will probably acheive "balance" because they are constantly working against one another, it probably won't be the sort of balance you want to stick around for.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2007, 19:58   #23 (permalink)
Shas'O

Nurgle; death and decay.

All the Chaos gods are Representative of emotion. Violence, Pride, Honour and power are the mark of Khorne. In this way he is the most 'animal' of the chaos gods, this also makes him the least 'evil' of the gods. In my opinion he is pure, the powerful reign over all. Submit to your animal instints. It is natural and most pleasant, in fact nothing in his philosophy is inherently wrong or amoral.

Slannesh is again the emotions of lust, physical pleasure (and pain). The understanding that life is for the purpose of living, experience and that with every feeling you are something and without this nothing. Additionally by living life you are free and the illusion of free will is nothing as you make your own will, even though it is predefined. Thus you are at peace with the world and understand that your life is nothing compared to the universe, but also that it is precious and should be conserved for its own sake. Again nothing is evil in this philosophy, in fact again it is rather natural.

Tzeench the survival of the fittest. Understanding that knowledge is power is dominance is self improvement and that only by constantly updating can you seek to hold this. This is not a natural emotion, it is the jealousy, the hate, the desire. Ambition at its darkest. Out of all the chaos gods he is the second most 'evil'.

Finally Nurgle; he who embodies death, accepts it and in so doing defies it. In much the same way that you can look deep within ones self and understand that physical embodiment is worth nothing to the world. Nurgle looks at the universe and sees not what it is, or what it will be, but purpose and understanding that time, image and actual worth is worth nothing (you follow?). With that understanding you leave humanity and are no longer worth your soul. In this way Nurgle is the only real 'evil' chaos god. He has been called the 'evil Budda' and so he is, unfortunately this scares me because its the philosophy I most hold common with :-[.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 02:38   #24 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

how do you people think of these things? o_O?

i personaly think that at the moment Slaanesh holds the most sway, more or less all races desire pleasure. orks from battle, humans from reproduction, Dark Eldar for inflicting pain. the only races that do not desire pleasure in any way are Tyranids and Necrons. Yes even Space Marines desire pleasure, the pleasure of serving the Emperor, that is another in a long line of things that keep them loyal (at least NOW loyal).
Old 08 Apr 2007, 03:12   #25 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

I wouldn't call any of the chaos gods evil perse, they're based on survivalist instincts taken to the extremes, you'd call that natural, not evil.

Also, FYI hellsing the most powerful gods right now are Tzeentch and Khorne, Slannesh was the most powerful at his/her birth during the fall but has since fallen a bit.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 03:17   #26 (permalink)
Ethereal

Both Nurgle and Tzeentch represent hope, but in different ways. Tzeentch draws power from all of those who wish to deny their own fates, who manipulate the world around them to escape from death. Nurgle draws strength from the acceptance of death, from the strength that comes from recognizing the inevitability of death.

None of the Chaos gods are entirely evil. But their followers, especially among the Traitor Legions, tend to follow the evil sides of their gods more closely than the aspects that are purely chaotic.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 03:21   #27 (permalink)
Shas'El

Nurgle dosen't really have a fixed place in the pantheon. To quote the Chaos Codex:

"Nurgle's power within the pantheon of the Chaos Gods is inextrixably linked to his workings in the mortal realm. When disease and pestilence are rife, the Lord of Decay's influence is at its height. The very nature of Nurgle's power is such that it will inevitably consume all of its victims and leave few survivors to perpetuate the contagion. At the point the plague god's might wanes and his plans falter. But one thing is certain: the plauge is never truly eradicated, and its spores are often spread far and wide before exploding into yet another epidemic, when once again Nugle's legions are swelled with the grotesque living dead."

i personaly think that at the moment Slaanesh holds the most sway, more or less all races desire pleasure. orks from battle, humans from reproduction, Dark Eldar for inflicting pain. the only races that do not desire pleasure in any way are Tyranids and Necrons. Yes even Space Marines desire pleasure, the pleasure of serving the Emperor, that is another in a long line of things that keep them loyal (at least NOW loyal).

Slannesh isn't really the god of pleasure. Pleasure is no more then a symptom of his influene. Slannesh is the lust for pleasure, the belief that any price is worth paying in order to attain perfect ectasy. To smash down every code or law or morals, denying everything your society is, for what YOU hunger to be. It's very much an individual thing.

So Space Marines serving the Emperor isn't his area at all. They suppress their own desires, deny their own urges, to better serve the Emperor. Orks take pleasure from battle, but this is what they were born to do, and thus are breaking no codes or guidelines when doing so.

It only makes you vulnerable to Slannesh if you are willing to cast aside everything else

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 08 Apr 2007, 08:38   #28 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Farseer Cold-Beer

In this way Slannesh is the only true evil god per say. He reesents rebelion of a bad kind. He repressents casting aside everythign to feel pleasure and selfishness. In this way he also represents jealousy...
Old 08 Apr 2007, 08:42   #29 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Timeless One
In this way Slannesh is the only true evil god per say. He reesents rebelion of a bad kind. He repressents casting aside everythign to feel pleasure and selfishness. In this way he also represents jealousy...
An interesting point, considering his creation sets him apart from the other Chaos gods.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 09:20   #30 (permalink)
Shas'El

In this way Slannesh is the only true evil god per say.

Um....... laughing manically as someone is hacked apart is fairly evil. So's infecting an entire populace with a disease that has them die screaming as their vital organs turn to mush and dribble out their pores. So's turning loyal friends against each other or driving someone completley insane.

ALL the Chaos Gods are evil. They represent the extreme end of whichever path is most like them. Ie, Khorne is what happens when you walk the path of the warrior to its most extreme end, and end up killing for the sake of it.