Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Current date of the 40K universe
Old 22 Mar 2007, 06:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Current date of the 40K universe

In the 40K universe, what is the "current" date? Isn't it generally accepted that the 13th Black Crusade occurred in 999.M41? Any specific dates for the Medusa V campaign?

And, on a related tangent, has their been any progession in time since first edition, i.e. as the Games Workshop gets older in real time, does time continue advance in the universe?
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2007, 07:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Munchkin
Default Re: Current date of the 40K universe

It would be assumed that yes, fluff time advances with GW time. I'm pretty sure it's still 999.M41, because there is no fluff denying it, and it would be 41k if it wasn't. Despite this, it has been 40k for over twenty years, so there's only one way to find out. Waiting.

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

Help Support My Humor!
Munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2007, 08:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Farseer Cold-Beer

I have a feeling that Medusa V happened in 006.M42... I asked this question awhile ago and thats the answer that everyone gave me...
Old 22 Mar 2007, 08:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

And how, might I ask, did THEY know? You can probably find this stuff in Damnation Crusade...... which I WANT!

Help Support My Humor!
Old 22 Mar 2007, 13:17   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

M5 was given as a start date of 006.M42, however the GW page in question was censored in line with GW's bullhonky stagnation of the timeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2007, 16:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
M5 was given as a start date of 006.M42, however the GW page in question was censored in line with GW's bullhonky stagnation of the timeline.
What do you mean by "censored?" Taken down? And as for stagnation - has the timeline been advancing slower in recent years?
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Old 22 Mar 2007, 16:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've pondered over this many years...... alas..... I probably won't find out ???

Help Support My Humor!
Old 22 Mar 2007, 19:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The timeline no longer progresses. Instead we participate in 'historical' campaigns recreating old battles. New armies or units were previously unknown to the Imperium (all codex's are wrote from a Imperial viewpoint (hence being in english)).
Old 22 Mar 2007, 20:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I don't see why they're doing that. They'll run out of events you know.

Help Support My Humor!
Old 22 Mar 2007, 21:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcaor
The timeline no longer progresses. Instead we participate in 'historical' campaigns recreating old battles. New armies or units were previously unknown to the Imperium
This might easily be the case, but I'm not certain I buy it. For instance, Ulthran is now a "historical" figure, kind of implying that other characters aren't. Furthermore, the fate of Hive Fleet Leviathan was fleshed out between the Tyranid codices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcaor
(all codex's are wrote from a Imperial viewpoint (hence being in english)).
Random tangent: I've always heard the codices are from an Imperial perspective, but I don't think them being written in English is proof. As I understand it, the Imperium speaks High and Low Gothic, which is heavily derivative from Latin. It has been over 38,000 years since the present era - if Gothic is derived to English, the similarities must be almost indiscernible. The use of English is just a common science-fiction conceit - it's assumed that what we're hearing/reading is another language, but for convience's sake, we understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin
Well, I don't see why they're doing that. They'll run out of events you know.
Well, not really. The galaxy is huge, and we're talking about centuries here. So they can always make up more places, and more IG armies/Space Marine chapters/Tau cadres/Necron tomb worlds, etc.